that sneaky salt!!

Options
So after being a really good girl about logging my food for the last couple of weeks I have realized that my problem is the hidden salt in foods. All this time I really thought I ate way too many carbs, yet day after day I am under on my carbs but WAY over on my salt. The funny thing is I rarely ever even pick up the salt shaker. I guess that is just another thing that is awesome about this site. Too much salt and not enough water. I guess I know what I need to do!! I am a work in progress LOL

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Start working on eating less processed foods (anything canned, boxed, microwavable, etc.) and preparing fresh foods. It'll take your sodium intake down dramatically.
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't eat very much processed food (canned beans, cheese and thats about it) and my sodium is really high too and that has been the most surprising thing for me. Last week I had a lot of canned beans and that isn't the norm but now I know to watch it or soak the fresh ones. Cheese on the other hand, not so easy to give up but everything in moderation. I've only been here a week and it has been enlightening.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I prepare 99% of all the meals from scratch, and you would be amazed how little sodium I eat. It baffles me going to a restaurant and ordering a cup of soup that has 1500mg sodium, while my own is only 300mg. Try avoiding all processed foods.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Start working on eating less processed foods (anything canned, boxed, microwavable, etc.) and preparing fresh foods. It'll take your sodium intake down dramatically.

Canned or frozen veg aren't necessarily high in sodium.... just look out for the canned ones in water.
  • jvan1957
    jvan1957 Posts: 114
    Options
    Rinsing canned beans and vegetables helps reduce sodium.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

Canned or frozen veg aren't necessarily high in sodium.... just look out for the canned ones in water.

I was mostly referring to frozen microwavable stuff which is loaded with it.

Many frozen veggies do have sodium as well, but some don't. Just gotta read the label carefully.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I prepare 99% of all the meals from scratch, and you would be amazed how little sodium I eat. It baffles me going to a restaurant and ordering a cup of soup that has 1500mg sodium, while my own is only 300mg. Try avoiding all processed foods.

This. So so true.
  • wendix
    wendix Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i was the same. my weight fluctuates so much due to salt so trying to keep it down and drink more water
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I hear ya- I'm in the same boat ( and being on a diuretic w/ b/p pill, it seems my body finds every trace am't in EVERYTHING)

I am flabbergasted by the sodium that is *naturally occurring* in *organic* meats- such as the venison my husband brought home.
    Egads! Are you serious?

Which is why I read labels closely, and generally choose the lower sodium-
    which, I just learned, is generally the case with lower fat items- they will add salt to make up for the taste.
    Just tellin you that- in case you didn't know either.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I hear ya- I'm in the same boat ( and being on a diuretic w/ b/p pill, it seems my body finds every trace am't in EVERYTHING)

I am flabbergasted by the sodium that is *naturally occurring* in *organic* meats- such as the venison my husband brought home.
    Egads! Are you serious?

Which is why I read labels closely, and generally choose the lower sodium-
    which, I just learned, is generally the case with lower fat items- they will add salt to make up for the taste.
    Just tellin you that- in case you didn't know either.

This is especially true for cheese. Reduced fat and fat free cheese is loaded with sodium.
  • ja4bs
    ja4bs Posts: 30
    Options
    Thank for all the tips!