Tips for keeping cravings at bay?

Options
Just wondering if anyone has any tips they would like to share on this? Ugh, I hate cravings because they are absolutely nothing to do with hunger but they still manage to suck you in and sabotage your weight loss.

Replies

• NA_Willie
    NA_Willie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Water and chewing tobacco.

Not together though.
  • runner3590
    Options
    Here are some that work for me:
    1- Go for a walk/exercise
    2- Chew Gum
    3- Drink Water
    4- Green Tea
    5- Brush your teeth
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Water and chewing tobacco.

Not together though.

*vomit*

Although, I do agree with the water. LOTS of it.
  • abigailV91
    abigailV91 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a HUGE problem with cravings a lot too. I try to stay busy with something and eventually it takes my mind off of food. I've read in different articles that drinking a lot of water keeps you full, it doesn't really work for me. Sometimes it does, but usually that's only if I eat something and drink a lot of water with it. Go for walks if you can to get away from the house, stay away from the kitchen when you are home until it's TIME to eat. If you keep busy with something that involves your hands and a lot of your mind then there will be no way you can eat while you're doing it. Also if you chew gum it will make your stomach think it's getting food (I think) and calms it down. It also keeps your mouth busy. I hope I helped a little, good luck with your devilish cravings!
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I guess it all depends on what the craving is, but I know when I'm craving chocolate, I'll either have a cup of diet hot chocolate (25 cals when made with water) or I'll have two chocolate calcium chews (Viactiv). That usually helps tone the cravings down a bit. If I'm craving something salty, I like to go with dill pickles. Just try to find healthy alternatives to satisfy what you are craving.
  • shapestocome
    shapestocome Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    One thing that you have to remember is a craving usually only lasts between 12-20 minutes. So if you can make it through that time frame you should be fine. Try to do something to keep your mind off of it. I have a Sudoku puzzle book on the end table for when they hit. But it helps me to know that it will go away and I won't sit there for hours trying to fend it off!
  • Starla91
    Options
    Leave the area you are tempted in (Kitchen, etc.) and go do something else. Tell yourself you can eat it or a substitute, if you are still hungry in 10 minutes. Usually you forget about it for a while at least. Often a drink of water will help.