1 Cup?

Options
Hello,

I'm very irritated by the 1 cup measurement. IMO this can be anything from a small coffee cup to a big mug, or a bra size for all it matters. it's not very specific and makes it hard to not cheat myself with how much calories the food has. Most of the time I browse till I find an entry with 100g etc , but sometimes it doesn't exist and I have not got the packet to enter my own.

So long story short,

What/how much is the average 1 cup, please?

Many thanks in advance.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    1 cup is a measure of volume and is always 8 ounces. Pretty easy :)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    1 cup does not mean one of the cups in your cabinet, it means 1 measuring cup (8 oz). :-)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    In measuring food, 1 cup = a measuring cup (holds 8 fluid oz.)
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    1 US Cup = 236.588237 Milliliters
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    And 8 oz = 226.796 g
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    A cup is a standard measurement. 237 ml to be exact, although 250 ml is close enough.
  • Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    1 cup will hold 8 fluid ounces of water. That's about 230ml. The amount of food that would be contained in a cup depends on the type of food, how much it weighs and the size and shape of it (e.g. you'll get more finely chopped tomatoes in a cup than largely chopped ones). You should be able to buy a measuring cup to see exactly how big it is, and then either use the cup to measure exactly how many cups of food you're using, or just estimate it now you know how big a cup it is.

Generally I just estimate. I know how big a cup is, I can see how much food is on my plate. I don't feel the need to measure everything and be 100% accurate. You could maybe use this guide to estimate some food sizes: http://i.imgur.com/eDkQo.gif . It says 1 cup of pasta, rice, fruit or veg is about the size of a fist.
  • misskitty69
    Options
    I have a measuring jug that has cup measurements on it, but I can honestly say that I have never felt the need to measure mash potato or carrots or any other veg or none liquid for that matter in CUPS. A weight of grams would be much more helpful to us none US residents :/
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    but when you say a cup is 8 oz, it means fluid ounces, which is volume.(about 250ml)

This is why I hate fluid ounces, because people confuse them with weight :(
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I have a measuring jug that has cup measurements on it, but I can honestly say that I have never felt the need to measure mash potato or carrots or any other veg or none liquid for that matter in CUPS. A weight of grams would be much more helpful to us none US residents :/

I only generally measure liquids in cups, for other things I prefer to use my kitchen scale and measure in grams or ounces, whichever has a convenient entry already on the site.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm very irritated by the 1 cup measurement. IMO this can be anything from a small coffee cup to a big mug, or a bra size for all it matters. it's not very specific and makes it hard to not cheat myself with how much calories the food has. Most of the time I browse till I find an entry with 100g etc , but sometimes it doesn't exist and I have not got the packet to enter my own.

So long story short,

What/how much is the average 1 cup, please?

Many thanks in advance.

tumblr_lup8biYFHT1qd9fro.gif
  • melainemelaine
    melainemelaine Posts: 127 Member
    Options

I only generally measure liquids in cups, for other things I prefer to use my kitchen scale and measure in grams or ounces, whichever has a convenient entry already on the site.

Yup, but knowing now what it stands for helps A LOT!!!

Thank you all for your replies :D