Kiwi Recipes

Options
JeninBelgium
JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
HI Everyone,

Yesterday did my first harvest of home grown Kiwis (apparently in my region they should be ripe mid-Sept- through mid-November but we had such a cruddy summer, only now just getting there and I think many just simply aren't ripe)

Anyhow, I harvest 80 from our vine and there are at least 100 more on it.

Does anyone have any great kiwi recipes?

Thanks a bunch

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Slw2688
    Options
    **BUMP** I wanna see what everyone comes up with :-)
  • yessica101
    Options
    Sounds good love your dress:heart:
  • JeninBelgium
    Options
    Thanks - I will try to post some recipes found once I have tried them - tonight we tried kiwi salsa: 6 kiwis peeled & chopped, I small onion chopped, I jalapeño chopped, 2 Tbsp lime juice, 1 tbsp olive oil - think less would be ok, I tsp honey, 1/2 tsp each cumin and curry powder - mix together let sit together at room temperature for 1 hour ( then refrigerate until ready to use) - it was really yummy sweet, sour and spicy!
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Kiwi preserves! No, I don't have a recipe, but since they are acidic they should be good candidates for preserves.
  • JeninBelgium
    Options
    thanks- I did in the end make Kiwi preserves
    24-25 peeled and mashed kiwis
    1/4 cup (65ml) pineapple juice
    1/4 fresh lemon juice
    4 cups sugar (I used 3)
    3 apples cut into quarters, cored- leave peels on (the pectin comes from the apples)

combine all ingredients except sugar in a large pot, bring to a boil- once boiling and sugar, stirring to dissolve, reduce to a simemr and conitnue to cook covered for 30 minutes

in the meantime, sterilize your jam jars and lids, boiling for at least 5 minutes in a large pot of water with a metal rack on the bottom (and the water needs to cover the jars completely) (I am paranoid and boiled for 10)

carefully remove jars onto towel, upside down to dry ( I use tongs for this, but there are actual jam jar lifters on the market)

carefully add the jam to your still warm jars, coming within a 1/4 of an inch or so to the top (.5-1cm), place lids on jars tightly, add back into the pot, leaving 2 inches (5cm) of space between the jars (I have a large soup kettle but still needed to do in 2 batches) the jars, again, need to be completely covered by the water

bring water to the boil, as from moment it is boiling "process" for 10 minutes, turn off heat and then carefully remove jars from the water

very easy to do but time consuming - a perfect rainy day task

verdict- the adults like the preserves and find them somewhat "refreshing" if one can say that about jam

kids (ages 3-7) find it a wee bit sour (perhaps that 4th cup of sugar is needed) the three year old ate an entire jar by herself- but she also loves kiwis and lemons so she doesn't mind sour

the above recipe made 10 jars each being about ? 10 -12oz ? 300ml