Surviving Thanksgiving

Options
2»

Replies

• yadicarter
    Options
    Thank you guys, all great ideas! I've already told some family members that we're walking around the block after lunch/dinner and I agree, maybe get a game going.
  • ksubbert
    ksubbert Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Last year I had a vigorous morning workout before dinner, and felt a lot better about eating whatever I wanted. Plan on doing that again this year...

This my routine as well. We run the 8 mile Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning and then eat, sleep, and watch football the rest of the day.

It's the best day of the year.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    Short answer: Don't worry about it.

Unnecessarily long answer:

1 - A single day isn't going to break you IF you have the motivation to get back on track.
    --If you don't then stay away from the temptation as much as you can.

2 - You aren't going to gain back anything in the long term if you get right back on track the next day.
    --If you are one of the OCD types that weigh in after every trip to the bathroom you WILL see an increase due to the amount of food and the SODIUM (which makes it all mega-tasty).

3 -Only you can prevent a disaster.
    --You know your trigger foods and level of willpower. If you turn into a ravenous beast after one bite of mashed potatoes then don't eat any thus limiting the chance of a 'mashed potato relapse'.

What I'm going to do:

We have dinner at my baby-mama's parents' house every year. There is going to be so much that's not congruent with my paleo lifestyle up for the taking. I'm going to eat the stuff that I really, really want and pass on the stuff that isn't that big of a deal to me (SWEET sweet potatoes). I'm probably going to tear up the stuffing and make the mashed potatoes beg for mercy and put a hurtin' on the green bean casserole. One thing that I know I won't be having is bread. I can pass on bread, it's never been my bag baby.

If you are hell-bent on keeping to your diet then:
    A - count calories and stop when you run out of numbers.
    B - eat the stuff that is less 'bad' for you. Nom on the white turkey, maybe have some sweet potatoes that DON'T have brown sugar, butter and marshmallows (yuk) and green beans or a salad. If there isn't going to be anything prepared that is 'safe' to eat for you then make it yourself - no one, NO ONE that I know has ever complained because I brought some more food.

Bottom line:
    It's Thanksgiving. Enjoy yourself and your family and stop stressing... there's plenty of time for that at Christmas.
  • magz_weltha
    Options
    Last year I had a vigorous morning workout before dinner, and felt a lot better about eating whatever I wanted. Plan on doing that again this year...

This is what I plan to do!
  • sharonus
    sharonus Posts: 102
    Options
    We are having Thanksgiving with two sides of the family this year, and one happened already on Saturday. The things I learned from that:

1. Try to workout in the morning before you go to dinner. I always thought it was crazy when I saw those people jogging the day of Thanksgiving, but this year, I did it myself. It made me fell more comfortable to have those additional calories.
    2. Indulge a little -- not a lot. It was totally fine for me to have a piece of Almond Roca. Did I really need three?
    3. Don't eat what you don't want. I love homemade pumpkin pie, but I'm not a fan of Costco's. Why waste calories on something that wasn't really that great?
    4. Log your food. It's pretty eye opening. When I go "over" on a particular day, I try to think about what I ate and what I can do better the next time. ("I would have been right on my calories if I didn't eat X.")

I know this is going to be a really tough time of year for me. I want to make sure that all the work I've done for the past 6 months doesn't get blown away in one holiday season. I'm hoping that "Lose weight" doesn't have to be one of my new years resolutions this year! :drinker:
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have not read all the other comments but to me, it is one day- I plan on working out and I want to enjoy my family, friends, food, and wine. I will not be counting calories that day.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    I have not read all the other comments but to me, it is one day- I plan on working out and I want to enjoy my family, friends, food, and wine. I will not be counting calories that day.

Word.
  • GraceysMommy09
    Options
    Gosh, you all have some wonderful ideas. I think that I am going to go with heath"ier" selection, portion control, and count what I eat. I am going to stay away from the cakes and pies because I'm not too big on them anyway, but I may have a serving of banana pudding. That is my favorite.
  • SheRa1964
    Options
    Maybe I should have said "surviving" on my post rather than coping. Oh vey did I get flack for my phrase! In my case I'd watch it. I think one day CAN make a difference. I have trouble getting and staying motivated.

What I did on Thanksgiving meal #1 was filled my plate once with the things I absolutely loved. I exercised and I ate light for my evening meal. I didn't feel stuffed and miserable and I did and do feel in control.
  • bybybelly
    Options
    It is only one day so enjoy your time with family and friends BUT try to think what it feels like to be stuffed to the gills full. Makes me sick so I will eat what I want but when I am full, I am done! Good luck.....you have come so far and this day will not define the rest of your journey. Another tip, I plan on starting the day with a elliptical workout to earn some extra calories:)

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!
  • babygurl1
    babygurl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Last year I found using a smaller plate helped me. Everyone had these huge plates stacked full of stuff and I had just a small saucer. I used a teaspoon to serve myself and ate what I wanted...as long as it fit on my plate and I only got one scoop from the teaspoon. I ate at two houses and was over but not as bad as it could have been! Last year I took a break from working out for Thanksgiving, wont be doing that this year a workout it a must. Good luck!!
  • SheRa1964
    Options
    I actually eat on a smaller plate every night. I use the plates that my kids used when they were babies. Not only is it fun and nostalgic but it helps keep me within a descent eating range.
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I would suggest also, out of personal experience, pick your favorite food item(s) ahead of time. Get them in your head. Then make sure you eat those and try to skip the ones you don't LOVE. Why waste your time on the items that you may have any other time of the year. You want to enjoy your food and not binge later because you felt like you missed out or like me, get obsessed with the one or two items.

I also let balance food diet go out the window because some of the food items there, I don't see but twice a year. I LOVE our families rice dressing, the turkey and the corn casserole. Then I love the pumpkin pie the most. So I make sure I get a healthy portion of those items and maybe a little of all the others so as not to hurt anyone's feelings. I EAT the top items on my list then leave the rest and lean back like everyone else and say how full I am.

Enjoy!!
  • ctroxell2011
    Options
    You could also try calorie cycling for the week, eating less calories the two days before and after, that way the total calories for the week still balances out to a reasonable value and you can indulge in a few treats. Make sure to get a good workout the day of or the day after so you get right back on track.