Crock Pot Stew - Low Sodium - 148 Cals

Options
NeuroticVirgo
NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
IMG_9970.jpg

Makes 18 Servings
Per serving (1 cup serving size)

Calories: 148...............Carbs: 19...............Fiber: 2...............Fat: 2
...............Protein: 13...............Sugar: 3...............Sodium: 56

This had a lot of flavor for being so low in sodium. I had tried making lower sodium stews before, and they were ok...but kind of bland. I really liked this one.

Ingredients

2 lbs - Chuck Tender Roast - cubed to 1 inch pieces
8 - Russet Potatoes (5.3 oz. each) - cubed
1/2 - head of Cabbage - sliced thinly
1 - Large Onion - diced
9 oz - Carrots - sliced
9 Tsp - Wylers - Sodium Free Chicken Instant Bouillon (substituted for chicken broth)
3 tbsp - Parsley
1 tbsp - Pepper
9 oz - Mushrooms Sliced
24 oz (2 bottles) - Light beer (like coors light, bud light)

Directions

1) Prep meat and Veggies. Cut roast into 1 inch cubed pieces, slice veggies.

2) Mix 2 cups hot water with the 9 tsp Sodium Free Bouillon (or use 14 oz can Chicken broth...but the canned stuff will increase the sodium quite a bit)

3) Combine all ingredients in the crock pot (I put potatoes on the bottom, then veggies, then meat...then pour in broth/beer....just because that's how my mom makes her stews/soups)

Cook on Low for 8 hours (or high for 6 hours).

Stir and then serve. :)

*** Depending on the size of your family, this makes enough to freeze 1 or 2 more meals for an easy dinner later.

- Just a heads up, I haven't been able to find the Wylers - Sodium Free Chicken Instant Bouillon in stores, I've always ordered mine through Amazon. But its great to have on hand, really helps cut out sodium in a lot of recipes.

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Definitely need to find a lower sodium way to make soups and stews!
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Looks yummy!! Will have to try it this week! Thank you
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Thanx for sharing! Def. lookin for low sodium recipes!
  • brickhouse76
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this low sodium stew...needed that!
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    bump
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Will try! Thanks! :) Looks amazing
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Looks delish!
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,720 Member
    Options
    mmmm....
  • Slavic_Spice
    Slavic_Spice Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • mimi2kk
    mimi2kk Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    sounds great! will def have to try.
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,267 Member
    Options
    Like!
  • btor
    btor Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Mmm! Bump!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    IMG_9970.jpg

Makes 18 Servings
    Per serving (1 cup serving size)

Calories: 148...............Carbs: 19...............Fiber: 2...............Fat: 2
    ...............Protein: 13...............Sugar: 3...............Sodium: 56

This had a lot of flavor for being so low in sodium. I had tried making lower sodium stews before, and they were ok...but kind of bland. I really liked this one.

Ingredients

2 lbs - Chuck Tender Roast - cubed to 1 inch pieces
    8 - Russet Potatoes (5.3 oz. each) - cubed
    1/2 - head of Cabbage - sliced thinly
    1 - Large Onion - diced
    9 oz - Carrots - sliced
    9 Tsp - Wylers - Sodium Free Chicken Instant Bouillon (substituted for chicken broth)
    3 tbsp - Parsley
    1 tbsp - Pepper
    9 oz - Mushrooms Sliced
    24 oz (2 bottles) - Light beer (like coors light, bud light)

Directions

1) Prep meat and Veggies. Cut roast into 1 inch cubed pieces, slice veggies.

2) Mix 2 cups hot water with the 9 tsp Sodium Free Bouillon (or use 14 oz can Chicken broth...but the canned stuff will increase the sodium quite a bit)

3) Combine all ingredients in the crock pot (I put potatoes on the bottom, then veggies, then meat...then pour in broth/beer....just because that's how my mom makes her stews/soups)

Cook on Low for 8 hours (or high for 6 hours).

Stir and then serve. :)

*** Depending on the size of your family, this makes enough to freeze 1 or 2 more meals for an easy dinner later.

- Just a heads up, I haven't been able to find the Wylers - Sodium Free Chicken Instant Bouillon in stores, I've always ordered mine through Amazon. But its great to have on hand, really helps cut out sodium in a lot of recipes.
    Sodium Free Chicken Instant Bouillon <~~ didn't even realize this existed! Great to know, thanks for the recipe and the heads up.:drinker:
  • smsaban85
    smsaban85 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I REALLY need to get a stinking crock pot. This looks so good. I recently discovered that I have high blood pressure so I am on the search for good meals that are low cal, and low sodium. So much harder than you would think. All the healthy meals seems to have so much salt in them. It sort of makes me gag to read the labels. Thanks for this one. This will be the first I try when I get the crock pot. Plus, my DH will love it since he loves mushrooms. :)
  • mvkrayola
    mvkrayola Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    bump
  • crystalregier
    crystalregier Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    so i know this might be a silly question....but does the alcohol in the beer burn off....I am afraid to try this if I am giving it to my 3yr old?