5 cal. Promise margarine

Options
cookydt
cookydt Posts: 45 Member
A while back someone said how good this 5 calorie Promise margarine was. I cannot find it anywhere. Does anyone know which stores carry it? I sure would like to try it! Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• cookydt
    Options
    A while back someone said how good this 5 calorie Promise margarine was. I cannot find it anywhere. Does anyone know which stores carry it? I sure would like to try it! Thanks! :smile:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Apparently the promise fat free margarine was mislabled and the taken off the market. The closest alternative now is "Promise healthy heart" (see picture at bottom) but it also contains questionable ingredients and may be also making untrue claims on the label.
    at http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/labels1.html ,

bottom line-

eat the real thing
  • wooch44085
    wooch44085 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    so it is not 5 calories per tablespoon? i just bought some at Walmart the other day. . .
  • cookydt
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up, Dave. I don't use much, so I probably could use the real thing. :smile:
  • angievan26
    angievan26 Posts: 212
    Options
    promise does have abutter that is endorsed by cardiologists and it is fat free and only 5 calories.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    promise does have abutter that is endorsed by cardiologists and it is fat free and only 5 calories.

a product that contains the crap in margarine endorsed by anyone means they have been paid for the endorsement....please people...read your labels

just because something has low calories does not mean you should put it in your body
  • angievan26
    angievan26 Posts: 212
    Options
    I did read the lable.. thanks for being so nice.. this is why I never post
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    Honestly...I think Dave is making a valid point....and just being blunt!hehehe...But he's right...Margarine and those butters that are so in calories are actually only 2 ingridients away from plastic!!! Sometimes even though the calories are lower, it is better to eat the real thing and while I don't follow that theory on most things...butter IS one of those things I do follow...
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    mmmmmm....butter
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options

a product that contains the crap in margarine endorsed by anyone means they have been paid for the endorsement....please people...read your labels

just because something has low calories does not mean you should put it in your body

IMHO you are right, but this isn't what she asked Dave.
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options

IMHO you are right, but this isn't what she asked Dave.
    I think it is better that someone be informed of the artificial crap that they are about to ingest before they ingest it. SO many people think that because something is advertised as healhty, it is. Get the word out Dave:drinker:
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    I can't find the actual ingredients list of what is in Promise margarine. Would anyone care to post the ingredients?

I personally do not like margarine because of sketchy ingredients. I certainly haven't read every label or tried every margarine, though. The ingredients in my butter are sweet cream and natural flavoring. (Whatever that "natural flavoring is, I'm not sure...) I rarely use butter, though. I cook with olive oil or coconut oil or plain water if I can get away with it. I also like to spread coconut oil on my toast in place of butter/margarine.
  • chulie
    Options
    The ingredients in Promise Fat Free Margarine are:
    Water,vegetable Mono and Diglycerdines,salt,rice starch,gealtin,natural and artifical flavors,lactose,colour including Yellow 5 and Yellow 6,Vegetable Datem,Potassium sorbate,lactic acid and calcium disodium EDTA added as preservatives,Soy,Lecithin,Vitamin A(Palmitate) added

Ingredients in butter: Cream
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

Totally wrong!

Sometimes there's a pinch of salt too :laugh:

Actually butter is super easy to make, and you can get a good work out making it. Just buy a carton of heavy whipping cream, pour it into a jar/mason jar that is about 33% larger (you want it to be about 2/3rds full. Put the lid on and shake it for an hour, occasionally pouring off the whey (which you can save to make protein shakes if you're feeling intrepid). Birth to a plate/mold/can/another jar once it becomes a mostly solid mass, and add a pinch of salt or other flavorings, and then put it in the fridge. Prolly one of the simplest things in the world to make. A tbsp will get you less than 50 calories, a whole lot more flavor.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

Totally wrong!

Actually butter is super easy to make, and you can get a good work out making it. Just buy a carton of heavy whipping cream, pour it into a jar/mason jar that is about 33% larger (you want it to be about 2/3rds full. Put the lid on and shake it for an hour, occasionally pouring off the whey (which you can save to make protein shakes if you're feeling intrepid). Birth to a plate/mold/can/another jar once it becomes a mostly solid mass, and add a pinch of salt or other flavorings, and then put it in the fridge. Prolly one of the simplest things in the world to make. A tbsp will get you less than 50 calories, a whole lot more flavor.

thank you
    that is all
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    How long does this butter last??? I didn't know you could do it just shaking, I thought you needed some sort of churning contraption (remembering a childhood trip to a farm, lol).
  • chulie
    Options

Totally wrong!

Salt! *gasp*.......no way...we only get unsalted! hahaha...

Hmmmm VERY INTERESTING..i had no idea!! thanks for sharing!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    How long does this butter last??? I didn't know you could do it just shaking, I thought you needed some sort of churning contraption (remembering a childhood trip to a farm, lol).

I would say a couple of weeks in a cold fridge. USDA says one month for regular butter refrigerated, so I'd go by that.

Basically all a butter churn does is shake the butter... ie, it "churns" it in the container :)
    They also help you separate the whey a little more, but its still basically the same thing as using a jar and some heavy cream :)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Thanks Dave for keeping us on the healthy path:flowerforyou:

I agree with Dave, better to have less of the real thing than fill our bodies with lots of chemicals. Besides, the real thing tastes better.

(But I do put some Equal in my iced tea about 5-6 times per year. Cause I like it REALLY SWEET and that much sugar would destroy my calories when I get the urge to have a sweet tea.)

I think his main point is to KNOW what you are ingesting. Lots of products have reduced calories because they have been lab-created (and while that fact all by itself doesn't necessarily mean it is unhealthy), it is good to know what you are eating.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I was wondering what the consensus was on a product called Olivio Spreadable Butter? It's got canola and olive and flax seed oils in it. It's not low calorie, but it is spreadable and I prefer it to margarine if I'm going to use some of my calories that way.

It's listed as having 80 calories per Tablespoon (all of them fat calories :wink: ). Does anyone else use this?