Do you have a backup plan in case you binge?

Options
What do you do if you have an urge?
What do you do with the guilt after you've binged?

My binges are from 1000 calories to 4000 calories >.<

Replies

• PJFaber
    Options
    Leave the guilt behind. It's done! you can't change it so move on!! Go for a walk or run!!
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Exercise and forgive myself is my plan.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Workout harder the next day...
  • yummummum
    Options
    When I get the urge, I remind myself of my goals and how good I feel. I remind myself how I will feel after. I am in control and make choices.

Then I try to distract myself and doing something else.

As far as the guilt, best to just move on.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Just get back on the horse the next day. In the grand scheme of things, 1 bad day isn't really bad at all. Its only bad if it carries over from 1 day to the next. I've been at this for over 6 months now and I've binged on more than one occasion. It gets to the point where you realize that it has little to no effect as long as your not doing it 3 times a week.

In fact, I've allowed myself to pig out a few times for no other reason than my body probably needed it. We get so focused on MINUS calories that we forget our bodies just want some food! So feed it every now and then. :)
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I try to think of what it is I'm craving - Salty, sweet, savory? Then I try to think of "healthy" ways to cure my craving. I also try to wait it out, but at some point I'm going for it so I try to get something and not eat all of it. When I do go all out I do workout harder the next day, just to try to maintain balance.
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    How do you cope with a binge that is 2000-4000 cals? It's hard to let go :/
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Look at the whole week's diary, not just one day. This is why I try to use the mobile app more often than the computer, so I can see the week's average and the week's intake and macros.
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    Look at the whole week's diary, not just one day. This is why I try to use the mobile app more often than the computer, so I can see the week's average and the week's intake and macros.

I use that too, it's upsetting going from a good balance then the week is ruined by one day :(
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    It's a DECISION not a DIET.

If you CHOOSE to binge, then that's what you CHOOSE to do.

If you want to keep your calorie balance in line, then you'll just need to burn more calories.
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    It's a DECISION not a DIET.

If you CHOOSE to binge, then that's what you CHOOSE to do.

If you want to keep your calorie balance in line, then you'll just need to burn more calories.

Maybe I should have said earlier, I have an eating disorder.
  • bigfluffyjujubird
    Options
    not worry about it its one day out of many, no regrets, back on the wagon and more exercise to counteract. we are all human and binge days will happen!
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I don't think of it as something 'ruined' for starters.
    Then, I remember that eating one 'good' meal in a sea of bad ones wouldn't make me healthy, and so one 'bad' meal in a sea of good ones likewise isn't going to make me unhealthy,

Then, I consider that this is touted as a lifestyle change. Life is for living. There are gonna be times in the next however many years of your entire life that you go, hey, I'm just gonna have fun and have this. You need to learn how to MANAGE those times and deal with them sensibly and appropriately (enjoy them from time to time, don't beat yourself up, and don't do it ALL the time), rather than learning how to deprive yourself and feel bad for the rest of your life.

Think about how you want the rest of your life to be. if it's a vision of being healthy, but with the occasional fun time with no guilt because you look after yourself pretty good the rest of the time, then start down that path NOW and don't stress over it, enjoy it for what it was worth, and move on.
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    Then, I remember that eating one 'good' meal in a sea of bad ones wouldn't make me healthy, and so one 'bad' meal in a sea of good ones likewise isn't going to make me unhealthy,

Then, I consider that this is touted as a lifestyle change. Life is for living. There are gonna be times in the next however many years of your entire life that you go, hey, I'm just gonna have fun and have this. You need to learn how to MANAGE those times and deal with them sensibly and appropriately (enjoy them from time to time, don't beat yourself up, and don't do it ALL the time), rather than learning how to deprive yourself and feel bad for the rest of your life.

Think about how you want the rest of your life to be. if it's a vision of being healthy, but with the occasional fun time with no guilt because you look after yourself pretty good the rest of the time, then start down that path NOW and don't stress over it, enjoy it for what it was worth, and move on.

I liked your first paragraph :).
    I don't enjoy my binges. It feels like someone has taken over me. It's like trying to "fill" a hole.
  • Krushchev
    Krushchev Posts: 180 Member
    Options

This, for everyone. ♥ it.
  • Selyan
    Selyan Posts: 51
    Options
    Well, I often purge afterwards. Or make myself eat less than I should the next day.
    The most healthy way I deal with it is going on a long walk. But this is also what I do least often.

If I'm with my friends when I get the urge, I often try to give away some of the food I have.
    Sometimes I'm smart and realize that I'm really hungry and just need food, and eat something healthy. Or drink tea or coffee.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Exercise and forgive myself is my plan.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how many calories per day you're eating. However, if the calories are too low, your body needs those calories from the "binge". The binge is your body's way of tell you to feed it. Try upping your calories or eating exercise calories so you eat more per day or make room for a small splerge like a small cookie or what ever it is you like. This way you'll feel less hungry and deprived, and thus, less likely to binge. The results might be slower, but this should be a life style not a diet. Take your time and you'll be more likely to keep the weight off once you reach your goal.
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    Oh honey have I been there :( Not only does the urge come over me like I can't control it, sometimes it's an obsession that lasts days, so if I don't give in right away it's still creeping there the next day. After failing many times at controlling it, I just decided to indulge it and own the decision, that means NO guilt afterwards (easier said than done I know).

I have come close to panic attacks over how badly I feel deprived. And deprivation leads to binges. So now if I want something sweet, I have it, but just on a small scale. If I want something fried and dripping in grease, well I either eat a little bit or I trick myself with substitutions like chicken baked with a cornflake crust, or baked fries, or turkey meatballs with whole wheat pasta.

I am not a bad person for craving comfort in my meals. As long as you exercise, a few indulgences won't make a difference. One more piece of advice, make sure your indulgence is REALLY worth it. I feel guilty after eating McDonald's because it's **** and the anticipation tasted better than the food. But how can you feel guilty over a high quality pastry that was made by expert hands and that you thoroughly enjoyed and savored? Life is too short ;)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's tough, I know. My general plan is to try to stop and throw away the rest of the food before I finish it, but whatever I've eaten, to move on and try to do better tomorrow.
    Someone recommended a book that I found really helpful: Eating Less by Gillian Riley.
    It is all about addictive overeating and she has some really practical strategies to change the way you think about overeating and some ideas to help stop it.