how did you get so big?

Options
jakejacobsen
jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
So today I realized that it is just as important to realize how I got to be 342 pounds as it is for me to loose the weight. So how did you get to your size?

I got here because I am a carpenter, I was able to eat whatever I wanted i put on winter weight but I lost it in the summer so no big deal then I hit 30 and started growing through in a few serious health illness and here I am. I had a pulmonary embolism and gained like 50 pounds in a few months. So on word and up word! time to get healthy.

Replies

• WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    For me, I was completely undeducated about proper nutrition and exercise. Sure I knew I needed to eat healthy, but it didn't taste good, and I was young, so who cared?

Well, one day I cared and I started educating myself.... haven't looked back ever since!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Too much food and not enough activity.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    College. Got lazy - & also after I got engaged I think I was just kind of like eh, doesn't matter what i look like now, already got my man. Lmao. Uggh.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I just didn't really care, never exercised, and drank all the beer I possibly could.
  • kiminita
    kiminita Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I never exercised before..except one summer when I was 19, and was successful but hurt my ankle toward the end of the summer, started my second year of college, and then time management was my biggest issue as to why I didn't keep up the routine. Honestly the women in my family are all big. I was at my smallest at 15-16, at maybe 150 (Which is still overweight, considering I am barely five feet!). As the years passed, I gained a little, and was at about 193 when I started exercising. I went down to 179, and from there ballooned up to about 223 at 22 years old. I think it was a combination of working at a store where I had access to junk food from 2002 to 2008. Also, I bought a car in 2007 and had access to drive thrus, not to mention a way to be less physically active. I think this and just getting a bit older. At 24 going on 25, I discovered MFP and decided to start getting an idea of what I was eating...and wow. I was 228 when I started officially working out and limiting calories in January. I got sidetracked in April, after a 20 lb weight loss. Now, I am back on track, and down to 203 last I officially weighed myself. *Deep breath*
    Anyone, please feel free to add me!
  • AParker1974
    AParker1974 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I just ate too much and wasn't very active. Also, I had 3 kids and just didn't seem to have the energy to take care of myself.
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I was super skinny when I met my hubby 10 years ago. I was working & going to school. Then I started working at a cafe & put on about 20 lbs. I went to school & started working 2 jobs, eating whatever I could to sustain life because I was always busy. I tacked on another 20 lbs. I then went to work at my current job where I sit on my butt all day & answer phones. All we do is eat, talk, gossip, answer phones, and eat some more. I gained another 40 lbs over the course of 7 years. I work with my family, so it's so hard to tell them stop feeding me and no I don't want to have a morning meeting with bagels smothered in cream cheese. I thought they'd look out for me, but it's clear to me I'm the only one in this for ME! How I gained 85 lbs and didn't have kids is astonishing. I have no excuse for letting myself go. I felt like a fat, lazy, homebody who didn't want to go out or do anything because I look like a pint sized fatty bear. And yes, I have a cute face... but how far will that get me in life?!?!

Oh, I didn't know I had that bottled up in there! Thanks :) So here I am, on my journey to be HEALTHY. The looking great part is just an added bonus! Good luck on your journey.
  • pph79
    pph79 Posts: 78
    Options
    Working at Wal-Mart nightshift 5-7 years ago, coming home in the AM and eating like a horse, then going straight to bed. Also was living with my ex girlfriend at the time and let down my guard on my food choices. (This is what happens when you get comfortable with someone i guess.)

Now i do what i used to do, like control portions, exercise, and go back to a vegetarian diet.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I got preggo again, and again, and again, and again and again again :)
  • candicemaechling
    candicemaechling Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I was told growing up I couldn't excersize because of my asthma, I didn't learn about calories or anything growing up and I didnt know there was another way of life out there
  • metisgirl
    metisgirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Having a little boy who was terminally ill, gave me the reason to keep feeding an addiction to food. i just didn't care any more after he passed away....But now, i am kicking myself in the butt and realizing that i deserve to be happy and healthy and that this is what he would want too...
  • wendibartel
    Options
    i have always been fairly big. Raised myself on microwavable meals since I was 8 years old. Well about 6 years ago I started going to a gym and working with a personal trainer. I lost an amazing amount of weight, became the smallest I had been in a long time (maybe even as far back as Jr. High). I was so confident in myself. I think ended a relationship and began a new one (very happy I might add in that department) About four years ago I became pregnant. I gained a ton of weight and became the heaviest I have ever been.

So this past June I got myself back together and have since lost 30 pounds. I am detirmed to stay healthy. Although I am eating a ton better then previously when eating out 5 out of 7 days was normal I seem to be stuck. I need to find some energy somewhere and get a move on it again. I have the winter funk.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    got really depressed and didn't care anymore about getting out of bed - much less exercising or eating healthy!!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I just didn't really care, never exercised, and drank all the beer I possibly could.

^^This. And the hole the food goes into is much larger than the one it comes out of.
  • RoadkingDavid
    RoadkingDavid Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    wow. I just want to friend all of you. I gained weight in grad school after I got married. My immune system malfunctioned and the Doctors finally called it Chronic Fatigue Immune System Dysfunction. Ugh. The steroids ballooned me 100 lbs in a short amount of time. Stress from family drama that I failed to cope with made it worse. But over the last 19 months, I have lost 111 lbs. I have 40 to go to reach my goal.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

Same for me.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Ingesting too many calories and not being active enough. Started getting bad when I stopped playing sports, and left being a teen for adulthood. I kept up the appetite, but not the calorie expenditure.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Born big. All my sibs were chubby and all outgrew the baby fat except me. Stayed big, emotional eater, no will power, never very active, I have "issues".
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i was able to eat and drink through my 20's. i kept pretty active and played a lot of sports. turned 30 and dropped my activity to near zero and continued to eat and drink a lot. spent the last 10 years ballooning up.
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    College. Got lazy - & also after I got engaged I think I was just kind of like eh, doesn't matter what i look like now, already got my man. Lmao. Uggh.

This was me!!! Doesn't help that my husband is one of the lucky ones that can eat whatever he wants and doesn't gain a single pound (weighs the exact same as when we meet 15 years ago).