People who lost 70 plus lbs

Options
No offense but I need real answers! So if u have lost this much or your a professional please input! I am almost 70 down since April , I have been 200+ for over 15 years. My question is the closer I come to my goal the slower it's coming off I ride to and from work 3 days a week 1 hour a day and zumba 3 days 1 hour and always walking if it's close enough. Two does the skin eventually retract. It has quite a bit but it isn't attractive . Any thoughts or input! Would like to get to about 130 hovering at 148

Replies

• Juliette320
    Juliette320 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Were you doing any strength training?
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I've lost 90 lbs with no problem of loose skin.
  • skemery
    skemery Posts: 100
    Options
    As you lose your Basal Metabolic Rate will go down, so you won't lose as quickly. Some of the skin does tighten up, but it takes time, especially if you lost a lot quickly.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 80 pounds since Feb 2010, and my skin looks tight and fine. I did stop and stay around 155 for a few months though at the end of last year to kind of give my skin time to catch up, and then lost the 30 extra pounds on MFP (hence the weight on my ticker).

ETA: Heavy weights have kept me out of a plateau (actually have lost an extra 5lbs since being on maint), and water probably helped my skin.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I recommend strength training. I have loose skin but it's not as bad as it was and I think it is because I do muscle training. I worry that it wont go back but I'd rather have some saggy baggy than the fat back!
  • AceDuddyMegaa
    Options
    its natural for it to come off slower the leaner you get.

your skin will retract a lot more than it seems but how much is dependent on factors like age, how big you were, how long your skin was stretched. its not the end of the world tho a lot of what you may think is loose skin is likely to be that last bit of oddly placed fat so continuing your cut would help a great deal. moisturize, exfoliate and get tons of water it'll be a huge relief when you get to your goal body. hope i could help good luck with your goals
  • cthoma70
    cthoma70 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I lost 114 and I have loose skin, I look weird lol. I was thinking of doing some martial arts focusing on the internal arts classes. I have been told that will help.
  • horsiegall
    Options
    Everything I do other than the Zumba toning has been walking running bike ridding horse riding and I'm a dog groomer Just started zumba
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have lost 45 lbs. and I keep playing with my last 2 lbs. It's so slow moving it's pathetic. As far as the loose skin,I have the same problem. But i read somewher that it could take 2 yrs for it to tighten up. I keep exerciseing and strength train. But it is a slow process.Good Luck to you and know that you are not alone
  • cthoma70
    cthoma70 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I recommend strength training. I have loose skin but it's not as bad as it was and I think it is because I do muscle training. I worry that it wont go back but I'd rather have some saggy baggy than the fat back!

me to
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I am still losing weight, it hasn't been coming off as quick as when I started, but still a couple lbs a week. I do a lot of cardio and work out with a personal trainer two or three days a week. I still have a bunch of loose skin, but it has gone down some since I started lifting and working out with the trainer. I drink anywhere from 16 to 20 glasses of water a day. Eat about 1500 calories a day. I was doing cardio at least 45 minutes a day 7 days a week, my trainer has put me on a plan to workout 6 days. 3 days of weights and light cardio and 3 days of cardio, pretty soon I will be working out just 5 days a week. I am addicted to it and my trainer fears that I will overdo it suffer setbacks in the muscle building if I don't slow down.
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    Yes weight loss slows down. I still have a ton to lose, but I can say, it definitely comes off more slowly now than it did at first.
  • metisgirl
    metisgirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I lost 200 lbs, and i can tell you it is not easy...One day at a time, is how i do it... As for loose skin, no matter how much exercise you do and depending on genetics, age and your skins elasticity plus how much you lose---will all affect how much loose skin you are left with... Continue exercise and doing strength training....Building up your muscle tone will definitely help plus it burns extra calories.....Keep in touch and Good luck on your journey.
  • horsiegall
    Options
    I am so glad to see I am not alone
  • horsiegall
    Options
    Anyone really committed feel free to friend me
  • RoadkingDavid
    RoadkingDavid Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've lost 111 lbs since April 2011. I have 40 more to reach my goal. Skin? Yep, there is extra. Im hoping it will shrink with my weight-training program. If it doesn't, I may have to check out a plastic surgeon at some point.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Bumping (flapping ?).

I do know a 60yo who lost a bit and toned up after 2 years. <--- I'm trying this option for the loose skin.

People tell me I am looking ok despite needing to lose another 20lb.

I do want a 6 pack too hahaha and look very toned. Of course it is different for some people I guess as to actually reaching that.

By all means set your goal and shoot for it. Go for gold ... feel free to send a friend request and keep me up to date as to how you go.

Cheering you on.

Gary
  • horsiegall
    Options
    Yup flapping , I can understand the belly 3 babies but it's killing me in the thighs
  • horsiegall
    Options
    O and I'm 34
  • tinareena
    tinareena Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Age definitely has a part in the skin's elasticity! My Mom has lost a lot of weight twice in her life and her extra skin is more pronounced this latter time.

Since you like Zumba, you may like some other classes like yoga or hot yoga. Yoga boosts the flow of oxygen rich blood to your skin, helps balance hormones, and helps reduce your body's toxicity. I started Hatha yoga at my gym so there's no chanting or spiritual journey going on ;) Ever since, I have been complimented on my skin's glow.

I hope this helps! Best wishes to you!