How fast do you run, ladies?

Options
I'm 5'9", and I usually set the treadmill at 5.9 mph, sometimes with an incline. I'm wondering if my shin splints could be from pushing myself too fast... how fast do you run? and for how long? Anyone with shin splints?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Depend on you how long. If it is 2 miles ill run at a 7:30min pace
    3+ miles is an 8 min mile pace
  • AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    Options
    I have shin splints, but I like to run at at least 7.5, usually no incline, or no more than a 2.0 incline. Time varies. 20-60 minutes
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Borrowed from AZtrailrunner: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/322021-help-with-your-shin-splints

^really helpful

And how fast I run depends on how far I'm going and what I'm trying to make my body do.
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I always have shin splints, always. For the rest of forever. I find that the best thing to do is to give yourself breaks when you're doing high burns or long distances. Mine don't normally start up until I'm an hour or so into my run (you know, about the time you feel like dying). So, if you're a gym nut like I am, you have to switch up your routine. I suggest the Arc Trainer (or Cross trainer). You get a really great burn and it kicks your butt in cardio, but it's a little easier on the joints and what not.

Icy hot is GOD when it comes to shin splints! (I have them right now, actually..)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    The fastest my poor little legs can handle is 6.0 and the longest I've made it is 10:25. I'm most comfortable around 5.3-5.5 and can do that for up to 20 mins at one time (though I prefer to break my running into smaller increments). I'm not sure if the shin splints are from pushing too hard. I've heard they can be caused by how you hit when you run or from shoes that aren't supportive enough. I'm not totally sure - hopefully someone else will know. I've never had shin splints - I had bursitis and a stress fracture in my hip though. :(
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I run between 6.0 and 6.5 if i'm running for a longer period of time straight. If I'm doing HIIT I go up to 8.5! And I don't use an incline unless I'm just walking on 4.0, then I put it on 15 (or the highest it will go).
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    shin splints suck, make sure you are running properly and have the proper shoes. It usually isn't the running itself that is the problem! I usually run outdoors and I am about at a 7:45 min/mile right now, because I prefer distance over speed. I can keep about a 6:30 pace for about a mile and a half. Constantly trying to push myself though!
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    the shin splints are probably from the incline. I can't run on an incline because I get skin splints every time. run without the incline.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    The speed at which one runs has much more to do with fitness level, than
    height or weight. (although I think age could be a factor)

To be honest, I don't care to run, but to challenge myself, I have been doing some
    running both on the treadmill and outdoors. I started off rather slow at about 5.0 mph.
    I ran a 5K last month and while training, was doing about 6.0 as well as some intervals.
    Also, I have never used the incline on the machines, but there are plenty of hills n such
    when I run outdoors.

As far as the the shin splints, I did suffer from those until I went to store that specialized in
    running, and was outfitted with the appropriate shoes- no probs now!

Good luck! Hope you fix your splint prob soon!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    For 1-2, I'm 7:20 pace. OVer that, it's about 9 Or so.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I normally do 6.0 mph/10 min mile and 3-4 incline, and mix it in with some walking on high inclines like 4.0 mph and 10 incline or 3.0 mph and 15 incline.
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    I just started running this summer so I'm only at about 5-5.5 mph. I don't have shin splints but have a bad knee that I ice down after running no matter if it hurts or not.
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    I think I run slower (I do treadmill only right now) at 6.0, and 40 minutes seems to be my end-all limit. I haven't tried HIIT to see how fast I can sprint yet.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I do intervals between 6.0mph and 7.5mph on a 2.5 incline anywhere from 15-30 minutes. 6.0 - 1.30, 7.5 - 0.30 sec.

I get shin splints once in a while, but only if I do a really long and really hard run for a few days in a row. I know that for my body to avoid shin splints, I have to vary the length of time that I run for.
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    I normally do 6.0 mph/10 min mile and 3-4 incline, and mix it in with some walking on high inclines like 4.0 mph and 10 incline or 3.0 mph and 15 incline.

Holy incline! Go with your bad self... :)
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The incline is a likely culprit. However if you've recently started running and bumped your distance up, it could be overuse. It could also be your shoes. Next time they start hurting, experiment to see if going faster/slower or more/less incline makes a difference.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Do toe lifts with weights on them it'll build that muscle in the front of your leg, we used to do those in cross country.
    Also I was doing 30 minutes 1.0 incline intervals between 5.5-7.0. Now that I'm focusing on weight training it's usually 20 minutes 1.0-2.0 include averaging 5.5 mph.

Maybe slow it down on the incline until the shin splints are taken care of.

Good luck =]
  • pocomama
    pocomama Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    let me put it this way, I can probably walk faster than I run. I wouldnt even call it running, lol. But I keep on going. My shins hurt, but not badly. I was fitted for running shoes about 4 months ago and that took almost all of the severe pain away from my shins and knees. I bow down to all of you, lol.
  • lifeismoto
    Options
    I have shin splints...for me...A) a good pair of running shoes goes a FAR way to help, but secondly...I cannot and will not run on a treadmill...it kills me...I cannot run for 20 minutes on a treadmill with out my shins starting to act up...but outside I run daily a minimum of 30 minutes to 90 minutes in training with no problems...try running a track rather then a treadmill....
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't run on a treadmill, but outside on the streets - so my run is never at a constant speed as I have to wait to cross roads, dodge around dogs and pedestrians, turn corners, jump puddles etc. Much more fun than treadmill too!

On average, 12 min/mile is a slower run for me now (yay, I'm getting faster!), today I ranalmost 5 miles at just a little over 11 min/mile.

(Now I'm trying to convert from km to miles and from min/mile to mph.....
    12 min/mile is 5 mph, 11 min/mile is about 5.4 mph)

My opinion is that you are better to slow down until you find a pace where you can complete the time/distance you are aiming for without pain.... Then work on speed later.