To Zumba or not to Zumba?

Options
2»

Replies

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no coordination and no rhythm, but I do Zumba for the PS3 and I'm going to try to get into a class on campus soon!
  • kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love Zumba. I have a HRM & I have burned up to 847 calories in my hour long class! About 2-3x what I would burn on a treadmill for that amount of time and sooooo much more fun. I have a dance background, so it came pretty naturally for me, but my advice would be to just keep moving. Don't worry about getting the step perfectly, just keep on moving!

As for toning, I'm finding that it's doing the most for my core. All those hip rolls are amazing for working abs. As you get the moves down, you can start adding in more complexity, jumping, etc to bring up the calorie burn and work more muscles.

Enjoy!!
  • leme1183
    Options
    ASOLJUTLY ZUMBA :-)
    ZUMBA is absolutely amazng, and it works for every fitness level. i have been doing ZUMBA for 2 years and it is something i look forward to every time i do it :-) i do it 3-4 times a week and the class always goes by way to fast.
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I did Zumba for the first time ever last night after a Legs Bums and Tums class....how silly did I feel?! The whole class room was brimming with fantastic dancers who knew every single move and got the timing spot on etc.

Me - I looked like a complete dork, I do have co-ordination but the instructor didnt really talk the newcomers (3 of us) through the moves and it was all done so incredibly quickly, it just took all the fun out of it. Plus the clas was a lot more complicated than the ones I have seen on TV!

Once I had the hang of a move (like some insanely fast footwork move) the dance changed into some kind of spin or something in the opposite direction, I kinda wish I got the hang of it a bit faster and not feel so incapable :blushing:

It wasnt my fave gym class by any stretch of the imagination but it did make me sweatt so I really liked that aspect of it.

I also liked the way it made me laugh at myself and that part was fun, I might stick at it for a couple more classes to see if I really can get the hang of it. I had the same problem with Body Jam so I gave up on that class, hopefully I dont do the same with Zumba.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I love zumba! I have been going to zumba class at my gym once a week for the past 7 months and I totally wish I could do it more. There are 3 classes per week at the gym but due to my work schedule, I can only make one. It is so much fun. I wouldn't worry if you think you are unco-ordinated, I am sure you won't be the only one. Everyone is too busy concentrating on what they are doing that they won't have time to notice your mistakes. I have totally lost all the belly fat I had since doing zumba :-)
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I did Zumba for the first time ever last night after a Legs Bums and Tums class....how silly did I feel?! The whole class room was brimming with fantastic dancers who knew every single move and got the timing spot on etc.

Me - I looked like a complete dork, I do have co-ordination but the instructor didnt really talk the newcomers (3 of us) through the moves and it was all done so incredibly quickly, it just took all the fun out of it. Plus the clas was a lot more complicated than the ones I have seen on TV!

Once I had the hang of a move (like some insanely fast footwork move) the dance changed into some kind of spin or something in the opposite direction, I kinda wish I got the hang of it a bit faster and not feel so incapable :blushing:

It wasnt my fave gym class by any stretch of the imagination but it did make me sweatt so I really liked that aspect of it.

I also liked the way it made me laugh at myself and that part was fun, I might stick at it for a couple more classes to see if I really can get the hang of it. I had the same problem with Body Jam so I gave up on that class, hopefully I dont do the same with Zumba.

Don't give up on it too soon!!! It does take time...and a good instructor gives you some instruction!! Or will take time with you after class to show you some basic steps if you ask...and we all can laugh at ourselves when we first start a class.. I know I did too!!