I'm not dieting... I've made a lifestyle change

Options
I'm not dieting... I've made a lifestyle change :) I gain weight really easily and the last 12 months have proven that to me. I lost over 50lbs and was around 148lbs for the longest time (15yrs) until the past year that was very stressful. I discovered I'm a stress eater (gained 25lbs :embarassed: ) and if I DON"T log what I eat I over-eat and gain weight.... so my choice is to change how I do things forever. When I get down to my goal weight I will make sure I maintain it by continuing to log what I eat... it's tough but it's my reality and because I have accepted it, keeping on track is easy - it's just what I do :) I love myfitnesspal. It's easy to use and I love the app on my iPhone. I never have an excuse for not logging what I eat.. I've lost 4.5 of those 25lbs... and I have lost them forever, never to be found again:bigsmile:

Replies

• mquarry
    Options
    This is what I keep trying to tell my other friends who are trying to get fit. This and take it one day at a time.

Thank you for posting this! I hope everyone else realizes this, as well. :D
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Great attitude! :smile:
  • chrissi_k
    chrissi_k Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    well said :)
  • vulrich93
    Options
    I like your topic :) Keep up the good work!
  • ChasingHaven
    ChasingHaven Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! Ilost 30 pounds the first time around ( halfway to my goal ) and 'took a break'. Major stress stepped in and I just quit and blew it. Congrats on catching yourself in time - I've waited about 2 1/2 years and now I'm starting over with about 70 pounds. Dieting has never worked for me, but when it finally clicked is when I decided to log calories, stay in all my guidelines, and eat whatever I felt like as long as I reached those goals. The weight just melted off!

I could just kick myself for not logging and maintaining at the time, but I did it once before and I'm planning on succeeding this time! Wishing us both luck! : )
  • Orrgarde86
    Orrgarde86 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring! Keep it up!
  • djsysstem
    djsysstem Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Cut to less meals a day, or more meals a day into smaller portions and drink water. I didn't believe it when I read it online and thought it was impossible to lose weight this way. Exercising is a big portion, but dieting is too. You couldn't have said it better that it is not those two separate or together, it is a lifestyle change that makes the whole difference!
  • kelseyessex
    Options
    this is me too, I put weight on easily because when I don't track I tend to overeat. It's like teaching your body how to eat properly again and when you are full - stop being so greedy and overeating/emotional eating.

I love myfitnesspal. When I first started calorie counting back in 2008 I lost 2 stone but now I have put it all back on in just 2 years! I went too far and got bulimia but now I know why, it was because I was so scared of going back to how I used to be and I thought being thin would make people like me but its about who you are on the inside that matters. I still want to lose 25lbs but I want to do it for me not so people like me because I have a great family/friend base that love me for me and I actually do love me for me too.

Its great way of tracking your calories and like you say once you reach your goal you can adjust your calorie intake to maintain that weight. Defo taking one day at a time is great advice too, even if you have an indulgent day don't stress just get straight back on it. A day won't make that much of a difference but if you carry on then think of what that could do and plus with this you don't really deprive yourself that much because you can eat what you want just stay within your calorie goal :) x
  • nowornever47
    nowornever47 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If you only knew how close this is to my story - with an exception: have lost like 20 lbs, never got to my goal then put it back on way too many times! Have tried so many different diets and when I realized it is a lifestyle change on here it was like a *&^ bell went off in my head.. ha ha! I think that is the only way we are going to make it to our goals and stay there - along with all of the awesome support from our family, friends - including our mfp pals! Good luck on your journey :flowerforyou:
  • rhodenizer
    rhodenizer Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging in for a few weeks. I lost my focus and started eating all the wrong things again. I couldn't figure out why I felt like a slug and was tired all the time falling to sleep watching tv. Well the answer is I stopped walking started old habits and back I went into unhealthy me. I think I am back at least I am trying to be.. thanks for the inspiring words.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I feel the same way!
  • GettingFit4Me2011
    Options
    I finally got it this year too! It clicked in my brain! A life style change, if I do not change my habits, I will gain all the weight that I worked very hard to lose.

I have felt the difference in what different foods do to my body. I know what it feels like to eat high sugar foods, it makes me feel low and depressed and makes my body crave more of the sugar. I have kicked the excess sugar and soda habit! I am learning not to eat because of my emoitions.
  • fionamac77
    fionamac77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This is a fab topic!

I (like many people here it would seem) have been a member of myfitnesspal for some time, however have not been strict enough with logging and when not logging food or exercise the the bad habits come back.

So yes this time for me, the lifestyle change is for good. Been exercising hard, gym sessions/classes 4 times a week for the past two weeks. Starting this week I've been tightening up my diet plan and committed to taking my protein supplements (on my boyfriends advice and much research) when training, which I have been taking on and off recently.

Hope everyone else is either getting on well starting or progressing on their lifestyle change and body transformation journey.

P.s. I haven't posted on the forums before and don't have many friends so if you're looking for any new MFP buddies please add me!

Fiona
  • missjazzj
    Options
    That is by far the best attitude to have! If it becomes your way of life it is much more healthy than 'being on a diet', which just sounds negative from the start, and is enough to put anyone off! I'm the same, I weigh daily (even though you're not supposed to) but it doesnt ruin my day if I've gone up, I log my exercise and food choices. Godd job, keep it up :)
  • jenibean42
    Options
    I always find i 'cheat myself' if i dont have Fitness pal to help! When you overeat it stares you in the face! but its so positive when you have a 'Good day' and want to do even better! I Love Fitness pal :)!
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Great Post!

I said something at work about how I was counting calories and my boss said "For Halloween?"
    I responded "No, for the rest of my life!"
  • MJArant
    MJArant Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Nice Post Swity!!