How many lbs should I lift in Weight Training.

Options
mfpme
mfpme Posts: 1,106 Member
I've done weight training for years and now, not sure how many more lbs I shoudl be lifting ???? I just want to be toned, and strong and not get too bulky! And especially very strong to play sports yet still look good in clothes.

Anyone have any guidelines or sites that lists recommended weights for women??

As of now, I do:

:heart: Biceps 8 lbs
:heart: Triceps 8 lbs
:heart: Everything else 5 lbs.

All dumb bells, I don't have barbells and not want to do anything with barbells. Don't have room for barbells in my house.

Any advice much appreciated.

Replies

• mfpme
    Options
    I've done weight training for years and now, not sure how many more lbs I shoudl be lifting ???? I just want to be toned, and strong and not get too bulky! And especially very strong to play sports yet still look good in clothes.

Anyone have any guidelines or sites that lists recommended weights for women??

As of now, I do:

:heart: Biceps 8 lbs
    :heart: Triceps 8 lbs
    :heart: Everything else 5 lbs.

All dumb bells, I don't have barbells and not want to do anything with barbells. Don't have room for barbells in my house.

Any advice much appreciated.
  • troyjill44
    Options
    I've been working with a trainer for a while now, he has me lift a lot of weights, for example 10lbs (each hand) overhead press, 20lbs overhead while lunging etc.. I've mentioned several times to him that I do NOT want to bulk up, and each time he tells me that it is very hard for women to bulk up b/c of low levels of testosterone in our bodies. To give him credit, my arms are definitely not bulky, they have slimmed considerably since starting the weight lifting and just look toned.

If your arms are not tired after doing your reps, you should think about increasing the weights by 2lbs or so, just until the exercise feels like a challenge.

Good luck!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    It really depends on each person. I am *not* bulky and I lift heavy. I like to lift between 8-10 reps. For me, if I can go more than 10 reps then I up the weight. :wink:

I do P90X and these are the weights I use, just depends on the exercise. I hardly ever lift anything less than 20# and lift up to 52.5# for back work. Bicep curls I usually use 30#.

I have the BowFlex Select Tech dumbbells and love them!! :heart:
  • rocknrollsinger
    Options
    If you don't want to bulk up, here's a good rule of thumb I got from a trainer that I had a few sessions with:

Do 3 sets of each exercise, doing 10 or 12 reps each time.
    The first set should be the easiest, using a weight that you could do many reps of.
    The second set should be more difficult, but you should finish pretty easily (increasing weight).
    The third set should begin to get difficult about halfway through, and you should really be working to finish this set. If you can not complete the 3rd set, then you are likely using a weight that is too heavy.

Over time, you can increase the weight you are lifting on all sets, as long as the above rules are followed. This rule pretty much applies to all weights exercises.

Good luck!
    Aaron

92160.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • rethun01
    rethun01 Posts: 167
    Options
    My trainer and my husband (pro football player) have always taught me that your supposed to lift to the point of muscle failure. This means you should be able to do about 10 reps at that weight, and that after the last rep you should want to drop the weights because your muscles are supposed to fail. I know that seems like it would make you bulky, but it doesn't. Women have to take supplements and steroids to get bulky.
  • WTJoyce
    WTJoyce Posts: 86
    Options
    Getting "bulky" takes some serious effort and rarely if ever occurs without setting it as a goal.

8-10 reps where you are reaching failure on the last rep (difficult for the last 3 reps) will add some size and strength, but you also have to consider how many sets you are doing and how many exercises per body part.

Two sets are a good baseline, three are usually needed to get good results.

Larger body parts (back, chest, legs) require at least 4 to as many as 6 or 8 different exercises for any serious development.

Smaller body parts (shoulders, biceps, triceps) can be covered in 3-4 exercises.

If you use these guidelines the amount of weight will be determined by experimentation. If on your first set you can easily do 15 or more reps, then you know to increase the weight. If you can pnly do 6 reps or less then decrease the weight.

Nothing is set in stone, and listening to your body is a must. The more you work out the more it will tell you.

Add what rock and roll singer said to my post and you have some good guidelines. The only thing I would add is failing to complete a set (only getting 6 when you wanted at least 8 reps for example) is not necessarily a bad thing. You are in fact achieving a basic goal, to work the muscle to failure.

Always warm up and cool down as well to avoid both injury, and lactic acid build-up.

And I have found that the best thing for simple aches and pains is activity. Getting your blood pumping helps to speed the recovery process which is critical to any resstance training.
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    Getting "bulky" takes some serious effort and rarely if ever occurs without setting it as a goal.

8-10 reps where you are reaching failure on the last rep (difficult for the last 3 reps) will add some size and strength, but you also have to consider how many sets you are doing and how many exercises per body part.

Two sets are a good baseline, three are usually needed to get good results.

Larger body parts (back, chest, legs) require at least 4 to as many as 6 or 8 different exercises for any serious development.

Smaller body parts (shoulders, biceps, triceps) can be covered in 3-4 exercises.

If you use these guidelines the amount of weight will be determined by experimentation. If on your first set you can easily do 15 or more reps, then you know to increase the weight. If you can pnly do 6 reps or less then decrease the weight.

Nothing is set in stone, and listening to your body is a must. The more you work out the more it will tell you.

Add what rock and roll singer said to my post and you have some good guidelines. The only thing I would add is failing to complete a set (only getting 6 when you wanted at least 8 reps for example) is not necessarily a bad thing. You are in fact achieving a basic goal, to work the muscle to failure.

Always warm up and cool down as well to avoid both injury, and lactic acid build-up.

And I have found that the best thing for simple aches and pains is activity. Getting your blood pumping helps to speed the recovery process which is critical to any resstance training.

What an awesome post! Very informative! Thanks!:happy:
  • mfpme
    Options
    I have been getting stronger lifting the weights I lift. I do 3 sets of 10 reps each. I feel I've reached a plateau of sort lifting the same level of weights the last 3 yrs.

I've started like 20 yrs ago and lifted only 1, 3, and 4 lbs respectivelyy and worked my way up to 5, and 8's. I'm soooooooo scared of becoming too bulky. It makes my arms hard to fit into armholes of shirts!
    ( Or is that just fat!! ) So, what you all are saying is that it's impossible to become bulky like a professional weight lifter b/c they take stuff or for men. So, it's ok to lift 10 lbs for biceps and triceps?? Yikes! That's so heavy! I went to Walmart and tried to the 10 lbs !! Oh my word!!

I just don't want to plateau which I feel I'm doing yet I'm dying to be able to get strong enough so I can do my p90x. I bought it last year, tried it 3 times and nearly died!! :noway: No joke!!

Thanks for feedback and very valuable advice. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Much appreciated.