Celiacs Disease

Options
Anyone else on here also diagnosed with Celiacs Disease? Whats the best gluten free breads and pasta that you have found that aren't loaded with calories? Any tips and help would be appreciated. Whole wheat bread and pasta has always been an important part of my diet and am finding the change hard. Feel free to add me on here as well!

Replies

• monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    My Sister has it. She complains alot that all the breads and pastas are very high in Calorie but she doesn't actually try to find anything lower because she has trouble just getting the bread in general.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Brown Rice Pasta is my FAV! Tikiyada? I believe that's the name. Depending on the severity of your Celiac's be sure to check any and all marinades for gluten. Most sneak some in. My hubby's isn't ultra severe so still have a little soy sauce (bought pre-gluten-free time lol) that I am slowly using up.
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i am allergic to yeast and gluten etc etc etc and there are a lot of free from varieties out there but i find the carb intake higher than the normal stuff so now i just cut it all out.

if i want a pasta dish then i usually get doves farm pasta cos it cooks nicely but i dont bother with bread anymore cos there really isnt a decent enough substitute although genius bread is quite nice.

spaghetti squash is a great pasta alternative.... pretty soon you wont miss these products. i eat more rice and potato now
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    If you have any SAFEWAY Supermarkets in your area, they have a GLUTEN FREE section in the store. Speak with your local store manager.
  • AiJahya
    AiJahya Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My father and sister have Celiacs' disease and I'm (mostly) gluten intolerant! I've found that Udi's Whole Grain or Udi's Chia breads are pretty good. They have 160 cals. for two slices, which is about the lowest you'll find. The Chia bread also has quite a bit of fiber so you'll feel pretty full after eating it.

I use Tinkyada pasta. For a serving size, there's about 200 cals. It's a lot, but if you plan well, you can still fit it all in.

Other options are making your own bread and finding recipes online... There are tons of blogs out there! Here's two to get you started:

http://glutenfreegirl.com/
    http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Get a hold of the book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle." It's all about that.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    My father and sister have Celiacs' disease and I'm (mostly) gluten intolerant! I've found that Udi's Whole Grain or Udi's Chia breads are pretty good. They have 160 cals. for two slices, which is about the lowest you'll find. The Chia bread also has quite a bit of fiber so you'll feel pretty full after eating it.

I use Tinkyada pasta. For a serving size, there's about 200 cals. It's a lot, but if you plan well, you can still fit it all in.

Other options are making your own bread and finding recipes online... There are tons of blogs out there! Here's two to get you started:

http://glutenfreegirl.com/
    http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

My mom has celiacs and those are her favs too. Check out Bette Hagman's books for flour recipes and ways to make your own foods that normally have gluten.
  • tinyprincess
    Options
    my mom and bro get sick from gluten. they eat udis. its not terrible in calories and imo its pretty tasty. they eat quinoa past. not sure about the calories there
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    You might want to check out the gluten free group listed under community on MFP
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    My advice is to ask every bakery in your area if they make, or know someone who makes, GF breads. That's how I found the best one to date. All the brand ones are HORRIBLE, in my opinion. Good luck!
  • ashleycat23
    Options
    my mom and bro get sick from gluten. they eat udis. its not terrible in calories and imo its pretty tasty. they eat quinoa past. not sure about the calories there
    we get Ancient Harvest quinoa pasta. I actually now prefer the taste of that to the normal pasta. It seems to average 200 cals per cup (cooked)
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I thought all the breads were awful. If you live on the East Coast, Joan's GF Bagels are outstanding. I don't eat them any longer, but I used to. Her English Muffins and pizza crusts are really good too.

Tinkiyada was the only halfway decent pasta I ever found. Most of the stuff is just nasty and I ended up learning to do without it.

Glutino does have decent pretzels and crackers but the calorie count isn't worth it to me.
  • evastar
    evastar Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    There's a brand of bread called Glutino that is the best I've found so far. Usually with gluten-free bread you wouldn't dare not eating it toasted, but this is the first brand that I've found it bearable to eat untoasted. I believe it's 90 cals per slice
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Check out SkinnyTaste.com. There is a way to look up gluten free, low calorie recipes.