Running in cold weather

Options
I'd love to start the couch to 5k up again, but it's getting colder, and when I breathe heavily outside, I get painful teeth (they're quite sensitive and I hate sensitive toothpaste) and a sore throat from the cold air.

Any tips?

I also found this link for anyone else that wants to run in the cold - it's not given me any help with the above, but might be useful anyway
http://www.active.com/running/Articles/9-Tips-for-Running-in-Cold-Weather.htm?cmp=17-7-1615

Replies

• BeachedBumm
    Options
    Wear a bandana over your mouth. It'll help retain some of the heat.
  • Lazytoad2001
    Lazytoad2001 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi

I heard said that something like a scarf or one of those modern snoods is good for this. You can pull up to cover your lower face, it warms the air your breathing and helps........

Well people say it does anyway, I get quite wheezy whilst running in the cold so am going to give it a go.

K x
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I find Colgate Sensitive Pro-Relief toothpaste fab. You could also try wearing a buff bandit-style over your mouth! I do this to stop my teeth from hurting when hiking in winter.

http://www.buffwear.co.uk/pages/welcome.php
  • Vaanja
    Vaanja Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I like Condor multi-wraps (I can get them from the Cheaper Than Dirt gunstore for about $8 each, but I'm pretty sure you could get them online), they're more comfortable, more breathable and stay in place better than a scarf or bandana imo.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I suggest wearing a gator. You can find ones that are very soft and not intrusive to outdoor sports in winter on Amazon.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely find something like a scark or one of those Underarmour things that wraps your face up. The moisture and warmth from your breathing will keep the incoming air moist and warm and then it doesn't hurt. I always had problems with my throat and lungs feeling too cold. By doing this, I often get hot even when the temps are in the low 30s/high 20s. Some people wonder if it will make it harder to breath through, but I don't think it does.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely find something like a scark or one of those Underarmour things that wraps your face up. The moisture and warmth from your breathing will keep the incoming air moist and warm and then it doesn't hurt. I always had problems with my throat and lungs feeling too cold. By doing this, I often get hot even when the temps are in the low 30s/high 20s. Some people wonder if it will make it harder to breath through, but I don't think it does.

*scarf*
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    thanks all!