cant drink water

Options
124»

Replies

• elimendoza31
    elimendoza31 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I make a concentrated solution of water, lemon, and mint and let it soak for a few days to get really minty, then I add a little bit every time I get a glass of water. Totally natural and delish
    [/quote]

this sounds so yummy!!! thanks for sharing...:flowerforyou:
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I love how everyone's telling you you have to drink water. You don't have to. Water is not the only thing that hydrates you. Tea, coffee, practically any liquid will hydrates you. Drink what you like, just watch the calorie content and you'll be fine.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jul/13/myth-eight-glasses-water-day

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/07/wellness-water-8x8-myth.html

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2010/12/08/the-myth-behind-drinking-8-glasses-of-water-a-day/
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Force yourself to get used to it. For me, there was just no other way around it. I think it's a psychological thing mostly. Those can be fixed though.

Why? There is no need to drink pure water at all.
  • falfal923
    falfal923 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    In my house we drink tons of flavored seltzer. Its got nothing at all in it...just carbonation and natural flavoring. A lot of the other zero calorie drinks have aspartame in it which is bad for you and makes you crave more sweets. The seltzer has the flavoring of other drinks and has the carbonation like soda.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I had a teacher who told me that CAN"T meant I don't want to. But I was a child and have learned that I can.
  • Moonbyebye
    Moonbyebye Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Mint leaves with a dash of cocoa baking powder gives it a really refreshing mint chocolate flavor!
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    While I don't have a problem with water, maybe try this -

make one gallon of green tea (w/ 1/3c agave nectar or honey)
    muddle wedges one lime and a solid handful of mint leaves in the bottom of the pitcher
    add the tea, let it sit overnight, strain out the mint/lime - or leave them in if you want
    Serve over ice.

I used to make this "tea mojito" when I ran a restaurant. Of course then I would normally add a splash of rum.

In fact, I just decided to make a pitcher... excuse me.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Force yourself to get used to it. For me, there was just no other way around it. I think it's a psychological thing mostly. Those can be fixed though.

I just prefer not to give my kidneys more junk to filter out than it really needs to. I don't drink ridiculous amounts of water, just enough to keep myself hydrated. It's been workin' for me so far.
  • twynzmom
    twynzmom Posts: 172
    Options
    Like everyone else, drink crystal light or flavored water. I was one of those who said they couldn't drink water, but it was because I just didn't like it (too much drinking sodas as a kid) but in my weight loss attempt, I realize how important it is and try to get a couple bottles in every day. I found out it doesn't taste like it has worms in it like it used to!
  • Amberetta82
    Amberetta82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you have never experienced it then you do not understand it. Stop being so hard on him. He is TRYING!! He came here for advice and support not to be crapped on by just about everyone.

(Whoa! I'm sorry about that whole "she" thing, I was thinking of my cousin when I typed that. forgive me.)
  • rickyd88
    rickyd88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If you were in a desert and the only thing to drink was water, you'd gulp it down. You CAN drink it, you just have preferences for other things. It's not a bad thing, I was exactly the same.

I struggle to drink tap water so I now buy bottled water which tastes so much cleaner and pure. Give it a go.
  • missjazzj
    Options
    My boyfriend says he cant drink it either !! Have you tried adding a slice of lemon, orange or lime to flavour it.........?
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

I just prefer not to give my kidneys more junk to filter out than it really needs to. I don't drink ridiculous amounts of water, just enough to keep myself hydrated. It's been workin' for me so far.

That's fair enough. But why tell him to force himself to get used to it when he doesn't need to? There's no need. My, and most peoples, kidneys cope just fine without any pure water :D
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    If you have never experienced it then you do not understand it. Stop being so hard on him. He is TRYING!! He came here for advice and support not to be crapped on by just about everyone.

(Whoa! I'm sorry about that whole "she" thing, I was thinking of my cousin when I typed that. forgive me.)

In defense of everyone who is being so "hard" on him, the original post didn't mention the potential medical complication where it makes him throw up. Had he not just said that he "can't" drink water it wouldn't have gone in this direction.
  • katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I almost never drank water. For a long time, I just couldn't stand it. I added the app "drink water" to my phone and set my goal for 4 glasses a day. A small goal, but I felt it was attainable. You just have to make yourself do it at first. We're so used to flavored beverages, but the truth is that there's no need to have flavoring in our water. I drink at least 8 glasses a day now, and almost never drink anything else (sometimes I drink milk). Trust me, you'll feel better for it!

To start yourself in the habit of drinking water, add some fruit (lemon, lime, macerated berries). Eventually though, you won't need it!

EDIT: I didn't realize water made you literally ill. I can't imagine why, unless you are drinking it on an empty stomach in which case it might upset the acidic balance of your stomach. Another delicious drink I used to have a lot when I was a kid was a "homemade orange soda." My mom made it for me after my swim team meetings. It's 40% orange juice (aim for low sugar kind), 60% seltzer. The seltzer is water, it's just been carbonated. So it gives you the fizzes but with much fewer calories :)

Good luck, I hope you can begin to stomach plain water with time!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I don't like plain water so I drink very little of it.

My daily water intake, as recommended, comes primarily from food, coffee, iced tea (during the summer), and an occasional Coke Zero.

Medically there is very little need to drink plain water. Water is great as a dieting trick to supress your appetite - just before you eat, knock back a couple of glasses and you will tend to eat less. Other than that, as medical research tells us, there's little need to drink plain water.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~news/releases/2002/aug/080802.html

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/283/5/R993.full
  • SheRa1964
    Options
    Wow really? Someone doesn't like water and people are rude about it? I like bottled water myself but I also drink, coffee, green tea, flavored water and regular water. Good luck hon. You guys really can't figure out she just doesn't like water? Do people stay up nights just so they can think of ways to be rude to one another?
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    Do people stay up nights just so they can think of ways to be rude to one another?

Yes. You can't ask anything on here anymore without a flood of douchey answers.