Need to increase HDL...ideas

Options
Hello! I have a fairly healthy diet and do exercise (not as much as I would like to thanks to lack of time). I probably eat too much cheese but am within what they call a healthy weight and do eat vegetarian diet. So today I had my lipids profile done and I need to increase my HDL. I have done some research but am interested in what others have done or great recipes or lifestyle changes I can make to get a bit more healthy. Thanks!!!

Replies

• exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Simple:

Exercise daily. Eat veggies and fruits. Eat cleanly (lean meats, whole grains, etc.) Cut out processed foods, if possible. Cut down on sugar, sodium, fat.
  • streetnamejim
    Options
    What exacerbe said.

The HDL is typically difficult to raise.
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I so appreciate feedback...maybe it would help if I give a little more information about my diet... I am vegetarian, I use a juicer to make fresh raw vegetable juice for breakfast about 5 mornings a week, I only eat whole wheat bread and pasta (very little of it- maybe 5 slices per week and 1-2 of pasta), I eat a salad or fresh veggie with dinner every day, usually the entree is made with fresh veggies and quinoa or rice, we only buy lower sodium sauces and make most sauces ourselves to reduce additives, for snacks I eat fruit, nuts, low fat yogurt, and whole wheat crackers, veggies with hummus, never eat out... So, hopefully it helps to know that. I do already have a very healthy diet so I was looking for something more particular than get healthier as I do pretty well as it is. Thanks again!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Ya, low HDL is fairly common in vegetarians, and from my (admittedly limited) research, meat is one of the only ways to consistently raise HDL.

Are you able to eat eggs? Fish? Try more oils perhaps?

As others have said, exercise has been shown to help quite a bit.
  • katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    bump... I have the same problem as a vegetarian. I've been one my whole life and couldn't make the switch to eating meat if I tried.
  • Lorijo50
    Options
    Mine was low too, I was told to eat nuts , seeds, and cooked dry beans.
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options
    There are studies linking increased saturated fat intake with increased HDL. In fact, coconut oil (mostly saturated fat) has been linked to increased HDL, even mainstream medical establishments have reported this although they still caution to use it sparingly because of "evil" saturated fat.
  • katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I decided to do some hunting. I'm going to order these and see how it works out: vegan flaxseed oil tablets. I'm not vegan, but I'd love a non-fish source of omega-3s which typically help raise HDL.
  • streetnamejim
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing most of what you are willing to do to affect it.

Again, HDL is typically difficult to influence.

What is your HDL? If you don't mind my asking...
  • Charlottejogs
    Options
    It is 45, not quite into the desirable range. He said I should shoot for 55-60.
  • streetnamejim
    Options
    That's as high as I've ever been able to get it.

What did he suggest?
  • Charlottejogs
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas- I do take the vegan version of omega 3s but can work on increasing some of the other things. The only thing he really recommended was exercise...I will try to do more of it:)
  • boobear00
    boobear00 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of trying to raise my HDL as well. My doctor told me to increase my intake of nuts & seeds, specifically almonds. My doctor also stressed that exercise is a great way to bring it up. Good luck!
  • boobear00
    boobear00 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of trying to raise my HDL as well. My doctor told me to increase my intake of nuts & seeds, specifically almonds. My doctor also stressed that exercise is a great way to bring it up. Good luck!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,019 Member
    Options
    I decided to do some hunting. I'm going to order these and see how it works out: vegan flaxseed oil tablets. I'm not vegan, but I'd love a non-fish source of omega-3s which typically help raise HDL.
    Omega's generally lower overall cholesterol with little to a lowering effect on HDL. Also flaxseed is not a good source of the omega's we need.
  • scubagirl319
    scubagirl319 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My HDL is 41, my Dr gave the usual exercise and diet, but also said having 1-2 alcoholic drinks a day could be beneficial. A glass of red wine etc...
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Omega 3s - Hemp seeds and chia seeds are a good source besides flax oil or ground flax seed.

Lowering HDL - if you just do a quick google search you can find ideas, some of which have been mentioned. Oatmeal, avocados, nuts/nut butters, whole grains, legumes.
  • furekurss
    Options
    There are studies linking increased saturated fat intake with increased HDL. In fact, coconut oil (mostly saturated fat) has been linked to increased HDL, even mainstream medical establishments have reported this although they still caution to use it sparingly because of "evil" saturated fat.

This guy is right, there is even a vegetarian in this thread here that does not have a good HDL, SATURATED FATS are good,

i eat 6 eggs a day and ground beef with mayo, cholesterol is good, been eating for 2yrs

can anyone explain this?
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Omega 3s - Hemp seeds and chia seeds are a good source besides flax oil or ground flax seed.

Lowering HDL - if you just do a quick google search you can find ideas, some of which have been mentioned. Oatmeal, avocados, nuts/nut butters, whole grains, legumes.

Ha - I totally meant raising HDL, not lowering.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,019 Member
    Options

This guy is right, there is even a vegetarian in this thread here that does not have HDL, SATURATED FATS are good,

i eat 6 eggs a day and ground beef with mayo, cholesterol is good, been eating for 2yrs

can anyone explain this?
    Natural saturated fats effect the size (increases the size) of the lipoproteins that transport the cholesterol within our body whether it be HDL or LDL. The smaller the particle size the more atherogenic (dangerous) they are and because saturated fat increases the size of those lipoproteins we get an increase in total cholesterol and that's because cholesterol in the blood is measured in volume (ml/dl) and why saturated fat normally increases both HDL and LDL by volume, but not neccessarily by the total amount of lipoproteins.......small dense LDL called pattern B is very undesirable and is what's seen in the vast majority of heart attach victims. The diet that actually promotes sdLDL is a higher carb diet, low in fat and saturated fat, with high levels of sugar which reduces HDL and also reduces thse particles while increasing triglycerides in the blood. Hope that made some sense, if not I can elaborate.