Second weigh in, disappointed. : (

Options
Hi all, looking for some advice.

I'd set my goal to 'lose 1 pound per week' (.5 kgs). In the first week, I lost 2 kgs. The second week I did pretty much the same things I did the first week, but the scale hasn't moved.

I've been very good and only weighed myself once last week and at the same time this week.

I've been exercising, sometimes in order to get more calories for food, sometimes to get a greater deficit.

I've been drinking lots of water.

I've got a 30 Day Shred video arriving in the post this week. The way I see it, there are three courses of action available to me.

1. "up" my goal to losing more than 1 pound a week, meaning I eat fewer calories.

2. wait until I've started on the 30DS and see if that makes a difference.

3. eat more of my exercise calories (I DO eat them quite often but usually end up with 300-500 cals left over)

4. keep calm and carry on.

I feel this is a real turning point for me - this is probably the stage at which things would have started to slide before I found MFP.

Help! I don't want to fall off the wagon now!

Replies

• grag79
    grag79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Aw pet Im the same as u.I lost 3 pound 1st week and then this week only 2 even though I saved loads of calories and exercised more.I had a goal of 1 and a half pounds a week but as I ate less than my calorie guidline and exercised more then I thought I might get 3 pounds again.Dont give up though as although the scales arent saying much we are still getting healthier and I am hoping it will show next week xgx
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Dont get discouraged....if I were you..I would take measurements...cause most of the time..those will shift..but the scale wont.

Are you getting in all your water? I would also not have such a huge calorie leftover..100-200 is one thing..but not if you are having 500 left over.

Last but not least...just remember...the slower the weight comes off..the chances of you keeping it off. So keep on trucking!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    4. Keep calm and carry on.

If your goal is 0.5 kgs/week and you lost 2kgs in 2 weeks you are ahead of the game by 1kg, so on average you should see the 0.5kg loss but in any given week it may be more or less. Stick with it for another 3-4 weeks, if you don't like the results then re-evaluate at that time.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I have been exercising harder lately (more treadmill time plus I'm now on day 5 of the 30 DS) and my scale has been up for the last couple of weeks. I have been at this for almost 4 months now and I have learned to accept that there are natural fluctuations that just happen sometimes even when you are doing everything right for weightloss. Eating, drinking, bathroom habits, sodium, and exercise can all play a part in those fluctuations. I watch my scale do a little roller coster ride and I just enjoy the ride and take note of the ways that various things affect my fluctuations - I don't log the 'up' days b/c it can get discouraging, I just wait for the ride to come back down and log when it goes lower again. When I was doing *food only* in the beginning, I saw a small loss almost every single day. But as soon as I started mixing in exercise and trying to up the intensity, that's when the fluctuations really began. That's why I took my measurements at the start of the 30 DS routine, so even if my scale is not doing what I want it to do, I can look at my new measurements at the end of the 30 days and see my results. I also eat my exercise calories (measured as accurately as possible with my HRM during workouts) - they are hard-earned and help me keep my energy up to continue this new higher level of activity.

You can't let those small differences get you down, they are a sign that your body is working hard and recovering. As long as you are doing your part and sticking to your calorie goals and exercising, you will see results, you just might have to hang on for the ride for a bit first.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but if you usually have 300-500 remaining calories, I would definitely try to eat more of them. You don't have to eat them all, I don't like to eat all of mine since I rely on the machines at the gym for my calorie burn and I don't use a food scale so I like to leave some wiggle room, but maybe try cutting that remaining number to no more than 150-200 and see how that works out for you? Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Stay calm, you just started and you're body has to adjust to the changes. You will have weeks were you maintain even though it sure seems like you shouldn't be.

Also, a warning about the 30 Day Shred (I'm on Day 2 of Level 3), you are more than likely going to see a gain in your first week . Don't panic, this is mainly water weight because your muscles are trying to recover. It will pass and you will lose.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Assuming your activity levels, calorie intake, calories burned are accurate (or accurate as they can be), then no worries. It's just water retention. Weight loss is not linear. I would recommend you stay within you NET calories goals (which would require you to eat most if not all your exercise cals)

Hope this help:flowerforyou:
  • fireballaaa
    fireballaaa Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This is only your second week keep exceriseing and dieting it will catch up on the scale ( depending on how many calories your surpose to get you might need to modify it, you might be eating to many calories.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I would check my sodium intake, up my water and the best thing I did was get a heart rate monitor. The calculations on MFP can be way off, therefore when eating exercise calories you may be eating more than you have available. If you don't have a HRM, leave a surplus of calories from exercise to be safe.
    Also, make sure you are being honest with portions.
  • CathiAnne
    CathiAnne Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    No. 4 - keep calm and carry on. You have to pace yourself for the marathon not the sprint. Every week will not be the same. Be patient with yourself.
  • michele_lynn
    michele_lynn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Keep calm, your body may just be taking longer this week to process the change. I have weeks where I gain a few tenths of a pound for days on end, then drop off a pound in a half in one or two days.

(Also, doing 30DS might stall the scale a little more as you'll be burning lots of fat but building muscle, which weighs more on the scale than the fat even though it takes up less space in your body.)

Breathe. :) You're on the right track.
  • Alexia40
    Options
    Try not to be too disappointed - it's a familiar pattern for alot of people even those in Biggest Loser households. Each season week 2 is a "strange" week - 1lb loss, no loss or even small increase then the following week it all settles down

I'd advise go with the option Keep Calm & Carry On. You WILL see a loss next week.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Wait and see what your results are after you begin the exercise program. It is likely you will have to make adjustments again after you begin the program. Don't get discouraged. Rome wasn't built in a day and it may take awhile for you to develop a system that works for you. You basically have to become your own personal trainer and nutritionist all at the same time. It takes time to learn what works and what doesn't. Before you know it you will be on here showing off with progress pics.

*On a side note, take a look at your sodium. You may be retaining water which could be skewing your results.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are 3 weeks into the program? If so, I would say that you should keep calm and go another week or two before making any changes.

I have been working the MFP system since about March of this year. Some weeks I have lost as much as 5 lbs. Most weeks are in the 1 - 2 lbs range. However, I have had weeks every now and then where nothing changed.

One week with no change so early in the process is probably not an indicator of any problems.
  • Ameaks
    Ameaks Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    We are in a similar boat! I just finished my second week and feel like I DID better this last week than the first but the scale did not move much at all. BOO. I think your best bet is to stay strong and carry on and get on the shred. I am on day 6 on the shred and I really love it. It is short and hard and I love that I get all sweaty and super sore from doing something for 25 minutes in MY HOME. It is very doable. I can totally relate to falling off the wagon on week 2... I usually only stick with something until I stop seeing the scale move or I just decide I don't really NEED to change anymore. But consistency is the key! HANG IN THERE!!!!
  • bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - you've really made me feel tonnes better!

I think I will stick with what I'm doing for now and start the 30DS when it comes. I did take measurements and seem to have lost 1 cm from waist and hips (if I've measured in the same places!).

Hopefully next week will see some more results - even if the scales don't show it, if I lose more cms, then I'll know I'm on the right track.

I don't want to restrict too much, because I've been finding it very 'do-able' at the moment. And even if my food intake isn't perfectly healthy foods all the time, the calories are pretty steady and it's a LOT better than fast food every day (like I used to have).

Thank you, thank you all for your advice and encouragement! You've put a smile back on my face. :smile:
  • liz3marie
    liz3marie Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi all, looking for some advice.

I'd set my goal to 'lose 1 pound per week' (.5 kgs). In the first week, I lost 2 kgs. The second week I did pretty much the same things I did the first week, but the scale hasn't moved.

I've been very good and only weighed myself once last week and at the same time this week.

I've been exercising, sometimes in order to get more calories for food, sometimes to get a greater deficit.

I've been drinking lots of water.

I've got a 30 Day Shred video arriving in the post this week. The way I see it, there are three courses of action available to me.

1. "up" my goal to losing more than 1 pound a week, meaning I eat fewer calories.

2. wait until I've started on the 30DS and see if that makes a difference.

3. eat more of my exercise calories (I DO eat them quite often but usually end up with 300-500 cals left over)

4. keep calm and carry on.

I feel this is a real turning point for me - this is probably the stage at which things would have started to slide before I found MFP.

Help! I don't want to fall off the wagon now!

hang in there girl!! i had the same problem a couple weeks in i stayed the same weight for almost a month!! you can do this!!
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm rowing the same boat. I do eat more of my calories than you do though.

Have you measured yourself yet? That's a great way to seeing your progress. Personally, scales make me mentally unbalanced so I try not to put too much stock in those readings.

Also, ask yourself how you feel. I know that I feel more energetic and stronger and that's what I really want to be deep down.
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same issue! It's nice to see I'm not alone in this. First week was a big loss, then it sort of plateaued out. I'm 9lbs down now, but my weight fluctuates a LOT. I chose to the last option - keep calm and carry on. I'm so new at this, best to keep at it for a while before making changes.