Potassium!

Options
We all know that potassium is important for losing weight and maintaining a proper sodium-potassium ratio. Getting enough potassium is important because it reduces muscle fatigue, increases energy, and improves muscle building. And yet... most food packagers simply don't list the amount of potassium on their food. It's so frustrating when I try to reach my potassium goal but I have no idea how far away I truly am from my goal. For instance, I had to search online to find that the Chobani greek yogurt I eat has about 120 mg. Why can't they just put it on the package!

Is anyone else focusing on potassium? Have you done anything different to track it? Or do you just try to eat plenty of potassium rich foods? What's your favorite potassium rich food?

Replies

• nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I tried to track it but found, like you, that a lot of things simply do not report it.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    bump
  • missjazzj
    Options
    Think bananas are good for potassium :)
  • DoingItNow2012
    DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    coconut water is excellent and low in calories
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I would like to know the same thing - many packages don't list it and many of the MFP entries don't have it either. I try to eat some nuts every day because they have a good does of potassium (almonds and pistachios are my favorite).
  • I just try to eat foods I know have alot of potassium before my workouts. My favorite are bananas :-)
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've had this same frustration with potassium and trying to track, lol.

It's funny, last night after a heavy lifting session, I was feeling especially wiped out. 20 min after having my protein shake, I was shaking and felt lightheaded from my workout still. I ate a banana and within 10 min I felt completely normal again. Potassium is an amazing thing.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I don't track it, but try to include a lot of bananas and baked potatoes in my diet. Here's a good list:

http://www.thepotassiumrichfoods.com/
  • Robinkinchen
    Robinkinchen Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Baked potato, 1 potato has 1081mg.
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    The top sources I love to have every week (some every day) are: freeze dried herbs (lighthouse in the produce section) has a lot of potassium in quite a few that I use, avocados I eat at least weekly, I love paprika and it's pretty high on the list too, seeds, bananas, and sun dried tomatoes (which I use instead of tomatoes on my salads) - all of these things have really high amounts, worth looking into.

Without proper amounts of potassium my ICD (implanted defibrillator) would not function... it might fire, but the spark wouldn't "take" as they say - it wouldn't work! So I am very into potassium and electrolytes in general.

See amounts here: http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php
  • katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I actually wind up editing the foods I find in the MFP library to include the amounts I find online- like the Chobani. I know things like bananas, beet greens, and milk are filled with potassium, I just wish that food packages had to list it like they do with sodium. Does anyone else you nutritiondata.com to track stuff like that? I don't actually track my food there. It's not as social or as well laid out as MFP, but it has tons of information about the level of micro and macro nutrients in many foods. You can even search for a specific nutrient to find what is high in that nutrient.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I was surprised to find my coffee having potassium, although probably not as good a source as other things.
  • foxtayle
    foxtayle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    How do you find out how much potassium you need? I have just begun to start paying attention to it.

Also, does anyone know the difference between a "Potassium Gluconate" supplement vs. just regular potassium? I had a difficult time finding the latter at the store the other night but there was a plethora of PG.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I actually wind up editing the foods I find in the MFP library to include the amounts I find online- like the Chobani. I know things like bananas, beet greens, and milk are filled with potassium, I just wish that food packages had to list it like they do with sodium. Does anyone else you nutritiondata.com to track stuff like that? I don't actually track my food there. It's not as social or as well laid out as MFP, but it has tons of information about the level of micro and macro nutrients in many foods. You can even search for a specific nutrient to find what is high in that nutrient.

me too, I made some energy bars with tahini recently and my jar of tahini didn't list potassium so I created my own tahini that included potassium that I found by researching other tahini options. my favorite yogurt doesn't list potassium, I even emailed them but received no answer. I'm pretty much assuming that many of the foods on the MFP database just don't have it listed. I often pick an item from the list just because it does have the potassium recorded.

I'm very interested in potassium and its contributor to a nutritionally balanced diet. I've got pre-hypertension and I'm trying to control it with eating better and potassium is very important to that effort.

good luck all!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't track mine because it's one of those things that if you're not getting enough, you're going to know it. And it's nearly impossible to get too much unless you're eating a LOT of calories every day.

If I were having any issues that were symptoms of a potassium imbalance, though, I'd look into it. It's easier to find the values for whole, fresh foods, like fruits and vegetables than it is for packaged, definitely.
  • katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I don't track mine because it's one of those things that if you're not getting enough, you're going to know it. And it's nearly impossible to get too much unless you're eating a LOT of calories every day.

If I were having any issues that were symptoms of a potassium imbalance, though, I'd look into it. It's easier to find the values for whole, fresh foods, like fruits and vegetables than it is for packaged, definitely.

Not quite true- about 20% of people hospitalized (for all visits) have low potassium levels (not a perfect proxy for the general population, but interesting none-the-less). The symptoms for an imbalance (such as sore muscles and lethargy) are often written off as a side effect of exercise. Restricting calories makes it hard to get the full amount you need too. But mainly, I worry about my potassium levels because I have asthma and asthma meds can reduce free potassium in the system. It's equally important as sodium (they work in concert via sodium-potassium pumps throughout our cells, and only 2% of the potassium we need is naturally occurring). Anyway, the end result is that getting enough potassium is good because it makes you feel better and improves muscle recovery after working out. But there is such a thing as too much potassium. Doctors generally don't recommend supplements unless you are very, very deficient. It's definitely hard to get too much from food though!
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I definitely focus on my potassium and find it unfortunate/frustrating that most food labels aren't showing potassium levels of food. To ensure that I get enough potassium, I have incorporated foods that I know the potassium content in my daily intake.
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Banana's are one of the best.

We give alot of potassium at work (as the kids we have are on diuretics and stuff, and low or high potassium can cause arrhythmias). Often we give them a choice of taking straight potassium or a banana. (the taste of straight potassium is awful). Bananas are one of the best sources of potassium.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are a great source!

I have trouble with low potassium, so I need to track it. I use Low Sodium V8 juice to help as a supplement, and eat potatoes (even though I don't really care for them) to keep my potassium in line.

Unless I'm loading on potassium, I have to avoid any type of diuretics or extreme dieting. It causes my potassium to bottom out.
  • grace1611
    Options
    Having trouble with low potassium. Looked it up dried apricots are best,