The downside for a poor lady who shed a ton of weight

Options
CoryIda
CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
I am wearing an XXL sweatshirt over my XS tank top (because I got a few clothes that fit me when I met my goal during the summer, but I only have clothes from last winter to stay warm in).

My undies and pants tried to fall down when I went for a run last week, so I ran four miles with with a death grip on my clothes. The other people I encountered on the path thought I was nuts. My hips didn't like me the next day.

The other exercise pants I own all have been sewn up. I am not a great seamstress, so they have rather noticeable bulges on the sides where I grabbed the material, folded it over, and sewed it up.

I wear my 9 year old son's t-shirts when I exercise because I don't have any of my own that fit properly.

My shoes are all a size too big because the fat doesn't fill them up anymore (Edited to add - I do have a pair of trainers that I just got a month or two ago so I can exercise without the too-big shoe problem).

Anyone else encountering funny and/or unfortunate situations now that they are smaller and don't have the funds to completely replace their wardrobes?

Replies

• sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    try goodwill! they have great and very cheap stuff. you can at least get a new sweat shirt and exercise clothes. they have good work stuff and jeans sometimes too. i go there all the time!
  • streetnamejim
    Options
    Two words: Goodwill. ;)

Congrats on having such a dilemma btw!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Yes! I can totally relate to the awkward 'holding-your-pants-up' shuffle!

I can also relate to being poor too. I'm a single mom, trying to buy a house, and Christmas is coming. It will be awhile before I shop for myself again... even at the Goodwill!
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I second (3rd? 4th? lol) the Goodwill idea. You could also try Target - Champion has a relatively affordable line (C9) of workout clothes. I get most of my stuff there, and it holds up well. Not a bad problem to have - congrats on your loss!!!
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    totally did goodwill with my jeans and stuff, workout cloths, i did old navy for alot of my stuff or costco. I also keep an eye on bradsdeals (google it) for killer deals. (Got a new underarmor coat for $29 not to long ago.)
  • JoAnn73
    JoAnn73 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I went from a size 24 pants down to a 9. I work for a very professional company and im now in the process of replacing EVERYTHING one piece of clothing at a time. You wanna know what else I've lost? my boobs! WTH!!! :laugh:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    thrift stores also kept me clothed as I transitioned through sizes.

you've earned it! Go get some britches!!
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am so hoping to be there next year!!!! My workout partner am I have shopped some consignment stores and found some great items for our "in-between" times! When we reah our goal, we are going shopping (even if it is consignment or resale shops!) :)

CONGRATS on such a FABULOUS problem!
  • heberlonghurst
    Options
    My shoes are now too big (never thought I would lose weight in my shoes. My formal work suits were too big, so I had to buy more (good for self esteem, but not good on the budget).
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Last January I bought TWO new winter coats on clearance because I hadn't had a new coat in TEN years! Now I am freezing in my HUGE winter coats with no funds in the near future to buy a new winter coat. Going to Good Will soon....

I just recently HAD to buy new bras too, I kept falling out of the bottom of my old ones and I refuse to buy THOSE at Good Will!:laugh:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Definitely sounds like you need to hit up Goodwill! Every couple of weeks I have been dropping off my old bigger clothes as a donation and buying a few transitional items to keep me going through the season. All you really need for the winter is a good pair of black pants and a couple of pairs of jeans!! And one good hoodie and a couple of sweaters. I would focus on getting comfortable workout clothes though!
  • Meg28
    Meg28 Posts: 59
    Options
    Agree with the goodwill comment. You can find less expensive stuff at target to and avoid name brands which aren't necessary. If possible, do try to get new shoes, to avoid hurting yourself when you run. Perhaps ask running stores about programs or sales. I would say continuing "borrowing" t-shirts because you just get them sweaty anyway! This may sound gross, but in the winter I rewear my winter sweats to multiple workouts to cut down on the laundry and wear n' tear. Winter "gear" can get pricey so I have no shame in wearing a large decade old sweatshirt out to run in.
  • ConnectwoNature
    ConnectwoNature Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh wow you've lost 124 lbs, that is just soooo awesome, way to go. I have only lost 34 and have about 50 to go and already my clothes are giving me issues, and I dont want to go buy anything new yet and then that be too big here in a couple of months, its a tough thing, but we can all relate.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I went from a size 24 pants down to a 9. I work for a very professional company and im now in the process of replacing EVERYTHING one piece of clothing at a time. You wanna know what else I've lost? my boobs! WTH!!! :laugh:
    Oh how I wish I had lost mine!

I went from a 24 to an 8 in pants and an XXL to a S or XS in shirts, but my chest only went from a 44F to a 32G. :sad:
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    yes, i have the same issue! even spending 3 bucks on a shirt from goodwill is tough for me. but it is good to not have to hold up your pants as you run :)
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I am at the thrift store every couple of weeks! I completely understand what you are saying! Ours has 25% off on Mondays too! Congrats on the clothes though...feels amazing doesn't it?
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Try places like the Salvation Army and other thrift stores. Personally, I buy stuff from there anyway, so I figure if I get some work-out clothing there, too, then heeey! cool! :tongue:

Also, if you're not already, sign up with Victoria's Secret's catalogs and mail. Just about every month, they send me coupons for a free pair of undies. Also, coupons for $10 off bras and stuff, and during the month of your birthday, a $10 gift card. I ended up getting a REALLY cool sweatshirt for less than $2, with the gift card...AND free underwear. :laugh: Or you can use the $10 to get work-out pants...get them on the clearance rack and it might be free, or cost less than a buck! It's little things like that that help my wardrobe. :glasses:
  • khaleesinoodlebelly
    Options
    Perhaps freecycle or craigslist free items (or maybe even your own listing--explaining looking for clothing donations)? Also if any of your older big clothes are in good shape try taking them to a second hand store that buys them off you or gives you instore credit to look for clothes there?
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Good luck with the clothes - goodwill, thriftshops, etc. can all be helpful places to try. :bigsmile:
  • Nyrissa
    Options
    You can try looking for a swap in your newspaper/craigslist, or even posting an ad yourself. Tell them you have x amount of garbage bags of x size clothing, and you want to swap it for some bags of x sized clothing. Usually you can get lucky and someone is going up in size while you are going down.

And that way, you don't have to buy any new clothes. They are all free!