Coworkers who bring in junk food (donuts, chocolate, candy,

Options
Alright,

This is more of a general venting than anything else.

Trying SUPER hard to stay onpoint with the daily diet and I'm usually pretty successful on my own. But coworkers (especially between Halloween - Christmas) love to bring in empty calories to work to share with everyone else. I'm near my goal too which means I really really need to watch what I eat while trying to lose the weight and build more muscle mass.

I love the "team building" and "team work" aspect of it, but I HATE the forcefulness of the junk food. If you say no it's like you're this weirdo isolated person who doesn't want to be a fellow coworker with anyone. How many ways can a person say "no thanks" or "sounds great but i just ate" or "trying to watch what i eat" before they finally stop putting boxes of donuts and candy nearby.

Drives me insane, went back through my food diary and my diet would be near perfect during the week if others didn't bring in F#@%ing garbage junk food.

Already ate a donut today so the diet is out the window for today :P

Replies

• Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    It's not out the window! Just make better choices the rest of your day! One donut does not mess up your whole day! It's OKAY!
  • tiffanydawnn
    tiffanydawnn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Don't stress the donut! How many calories was it? It's not too late to burn it off and lose the guilt.

I know what you mean about the junk food at work though. Everyday I go to work there's some kind of evil lurking in the breakroom. I just try my hardest to stay away. But if I do slip up, I add a few more minutes of exercise, or I'll take a walk during my break at work. Moderation!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling, but please don't think one donut means your diet is "out the window". I a donut is what-200 calories? A lot of diets allow for a 200 calorie snack, and so it's not the best choice, but it's not like a 2,000 calorie DQ Blizzard, either.
    Your co-workers really don't accept-I'm not hungry, thanks? that's crazy...
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It's not out the window! Just make better choices the rest of your day! One donut does not mess up your whole day! It's OKAY!

Agreed! You can bounce back from a donut!
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I think you're being a little hard on yourself unless these are mondo sized donuts. One donut is what, 300 calories? Exercise that puppy off in an hour!!

A good excuse I like is "I'll have some later". Later never comes :)

You can still eat the good and bad, just in balance. The real world has tons of junk, nows your opportunity to learn the skills and getting your mind/body to balance the good and bad eating with exercise.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I have people bring stuff in a lot too. I post on here and other sites that I am on about "what junk food item I turned down today". Don't feel isolated because you don't want to partake in junk. It's simply YOUR choice and that's the end of the discussion.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    THIS
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Alright,

This is more of a general venting than anything else.

Trying SUPER hard to stay onpoint with the daily diet and I'm usually pretty successful on my own. But coworkers (especially between Halloween - Christmas) love to bring in empty calories to work to share with everyone else. I'm near my goal too which means I really really need to watch what I eat while trying to lose the weight and build more muscle mass.

I love the "team building" and "team work" aspect of it, but I HATE the forcefulness of the junk food. If you say no it's like you're this weirdo isolated person who doesn't want to be a fellow coworker with anyone. How many ways can a person say "no thanks" or "sounds great but i just ate" or "trying to watch what i eat" before they finally stop putting boxes of donuts and candy nearby.

Drives me insane, went back through my food diary and my diet would be near perfect during the week if others didn't bring in F#@%ing garbage junk food.

Its ok to indulge once in a while. Do you intend to have a "perfect" diet post weight loss? Use this as an opportunity to learn how to practice moderation. Quite frankly, I eat whatever fits my cals and macros. If there is room, I'll have a cookie or a piece of cake.....

Also your day isn't ruined by one donut (10 ....maybe lol)
  • Cfkearney
    Cfkearney Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I had a coworker bring me some candy because he is nice and sharing. I said no thanks. Got the weirdo look. Allowed him to leave it on my desk. And then threw it away when he walked out.
  • lambeas
    lambeas Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I hate the all the office treats as well. but I agree one donut is not going to "ruin" your diet for the day.

I try to make sure I go to meetings with gum or a mint in my mouth... and I really try to only indulge in office junk when it is HOMEMADE..
    that way I am enjoying a 'real" treat that is lower on preservatives and chemicals.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

This is genius!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I find less is always better. Just say "no". Dont give excuses or reasonings. Dont even say thanks.

Just say "naw". "No". "Noo". People wont bug you unless you invite them to.
  • rockeraxXx
    Options
    Ughhhhh! I had this problem! It seems like they push the food down your throat when you say no! Just say "OK in a minute" and keep doing your work. Its not worth it. If you have the extra calories then go for it but if you really don't want it, DO NOT feel pressured. :grumble: -Rosalie-
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Nope....Wrong attitude!!! Its not out the window for the "day". That's how people give up (and how many gain weight in the first place). Just make sure you make the rest of the day as good as humanly possible, and maybe try to get up and walk around a few more times than usual this afternoon. Hang in there, because its a tough time of year for everyone in offices.

Does your stomach bother you from the donut you ate yet? If so...remember that feeling before you give in next time - that's one thing that helps me (is knowing my system can't handle the bad stuff anymore).

Good luck..you can survive the season!
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    when its my turn to take treats in to work I have to admit to taking in a fruit basket :) I get healthy snacks and others now think its a good idea so we now have a fruit basket once a week
  • volrathdesign
    Options
    I think you're being a little hard on yourself unless these are mondo sized donuts. One donut is what, 300 calories? Exercise that puppy off in an hour!!

You can still eat the good and bad, just in balance. The real world has tons of junk, nows your opportunity to learn the skills and getting your mind/body to balance the good and bad eating with exercise.

Yeah true I can always work it off later, but I'd rather not workout an extra 20 minutes later on seeing as working out sucks :P

Nah just a regular sized glazed donut. I don't care that I ate it (well I do a little :P ), it's more that I get irritated that people I work with it bring it in and force it on others to make their fatass eating habits seem more normal.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I just let people think that I don't like sweets so they never offer it to me.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Why don't you bring some healthy alternatives ... fresh fruit, veggies with low-fat dip, crackers and cheese...I started doing that and my co-workers actually took the hint and now we only have healthy snacks instead of the donuts and biscuits
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Or have 1/2 a treat ?
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    They're doin a cookie exchange at work. Whoever signs up makes a few batches of a dozen cookies and trades em. I said i couldn't partake cause I'd probably only allow myself to eat 2 or 3 cookies over the holidays, let alone 5-6 dozen or more if i partook.

Then I flexed and ate a raw egg, shell and all, and howled like a wolf at them.