Coworkers who bring in junk food (donuts, chocolate, candy,

Options

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Even if you had a donut, don't use that as an excuse to make more bad choices. Just accept the fact that it's eaten and over with and move on to keeping on track. If you throw the day away because of one donut, do you think that's going to help more than just getting back on track?
  • sunset19
    sunset19 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yeah just say no. They'll get over it. You shouldn't let someone's attitude ruin your diet.
    I say no all the time. Now people just don't ask anymore! You can join in the "social" part of it by having a cup of coffee, or whatever.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I think you're being a little hard on yourself unless these are mondo sized donuts. One donut is what, 300 calories? Exercise that puppy off in an hour!!

A good excuse I like is "I'll have some later". Later never comes :)

You can still eat the good and bad, just in balance. The real world has tons of junk, nows your opportunity to learn the skills and getting your mind/body to balance the good and bad eating with exercise.

Yeah true I can always work it off later, but I'd rather not workout an extra 20 minutes later on seeing as working out sucks :P

Nah just a regular sized glazed donut. I don't care that I ate it (well I do a little :P ), it's more that I get irritated that people I work with it bring it in and force it on others to make their fatass eating habits seem more normal.
    Sorry to sound like Nancy Reagan...but "just say no".
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    why do you care if they think you're the weirdo for saying no to the donut? I don't really understand why everyone makes this out to be such a problem. when I worked in an office, if I didn't want something, I'd politely decline, and move on.... If you don't make a big ordeal of saying no, chances are no one else will either. You are doing this for yourself right? Then don't worry about everyone else - what they think, or what bad foods they try to offer you. And if you do have a donut, so what. just try to stay on track the rest of the day, and don't have a donut tomorrow. You can eat those kind of foods, living a healthy lifestyle is about making healthy choices, and portion control. I don't say anything is off limits for me. but I try not to eat things that I know are bad for me on a daily basis. Those things come into play rarely. Which is fine.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Think about how gross eating from a communal box of sweets can be. All kinds of skin flakes and funk fumes can potentially fall onto and/or penetrate those treats as people lean in to grab one.

Walk away from that greasy box of bacteriovirus. Unless youre willing to Lysol the donut down first before you eat it....

You're welcome :)
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Haha, at work we get A LOT of junk food. Families of patients bring things in, and co-workers as well do, so its odd when there isn't food sitting in the break room.

For me, I either just say no, or if I want one, I take half. Then I don't feel so bad about having something delicious!

And then just make sure you eat healthy for the rest of the day.
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    it's more that I get irritated that people I work with it bring it in and force it on others to make their fatass eating habits seem more normal.

AMEN!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • volrathdesign
    Options
    They're doin a cookie exchange at work. Whoever signs up makes a few batches of a dozen cookies and trades em. I said i couldn't partake cause I'd probably only allow myself to eat 2 or 3 cookies over the holidays, let alone 5-6 dozen or more if i partook.

Then I flexed and ate a raw egg, shell and all, and howled like a wolf at them.

lol
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

A good excuse I like is "I'll have some later". Later never comes :)

This is genius!

I do this too, or I will take something back to my desk, (to be nice) and throw it in the trash later when and where they can't see me do it. In fact just did that about 30 minutes ago!!! I've been 'singled' out as a non player before when I was in an older work group that liked to eat,. Its hard to mind your own business, for some reason it drove them mad. So I understand exactly where you are coming from. ----just think, you're the healthiest one there! Hands down.
  • volrathdesign
    Options
    Think about how gross eating from a communal box of sweets can be. All kinds of skin flakes and funk fumes can potentially fall onto and/or penetrate those treats as people lean in to grab one.

Walk away from that greasy box of bacteriovirus. Unless youre willing to Lysol the donut down first but you eat it....

nah that's just weirdo germaphobic nonsense, that doesn't work for me i could care less about that stupid Howard Hughes nonsense.

have fun living in your box.
  • SheRa1964
    Options
    You can be the good example. Bring in fruit or make a light dessert. Something you can have and you know there are other people in your office (you may not even realize) that will really appreciate it. *hugs* You can do this!
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Every time you say No to crap food, you say YES to your goal weight. Don't feel bad. Or say that you had chocolate for breakfast and I dont need anymore junk for the day :P
  • MercedesV
    MercedesV Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Bring in carrots and celery, insist that they eat it, and look at them weird when they say no. HAHAHA...
  • dorieanne
    Options
    I know it's terrible but a lot of times I just take the piece of cake or whatever and when no one is paying attention I throw it away.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I totally understand this gripe. This has happened a lot this week in my office too, and I am in the Air Force! You'd think the military would at least eat conscientiously (sp?), but noooooooo... Some of these people that have the metabolism of a teenage boy just automatically assume everyone else does too!
  • volrathdesign
    Options
    Every time you say No to crap food, you say YES to your goal weight. Don't feel bad. Or say that you had chocolate for breakfast and I dont need anymore junk for the day :P

lol that wouldn't work.

their response would be "you had chocolate for breakfast? sounds like a good start to the day, here eat some donuts."
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Already ate a donut today so the diet is out the window for today :P

This is one of the attitudes that causes diets to fail, it's one of the reasons I dislike the term "clean" foods. People thing that unless their diets are 100% "clean" they can't make progress, and eating 1 "bad" food is a failure. One bad food turns into a day (or longer) off your diet because they rationalize that they were already "bad" so you may as well forget about the diet for the rest of the day (or week).

Calories in < calories out = success. A Doughnut are no more "fattening" than the same amount of calories of broccoli.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options

Walk away from that greasy box of bacteriovirus. Unless youre willing to Lysol the donut down first before you eat it....

nah that's just weirdo germaphobic nonsense, that doesn't work for me i could care less about that stupid Howard Hughes nonsense.

have fun living in your box.

Oh, you must be on that new low-humor diet I've been hearing about!
  • CRMrunner
    CRMrunner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    A lot of people feel guilty about eating junk, so they quickly attack anyone who doesn't. I guess it makes them feel less guilty if everyone else is doing it. You can always find people to try to please, but there are just too many of them.

I try to eat a very small portion so that I'm still part of the social network, but not ruining my food plan. If I know ahead of time that there will be food at a meeting, I have a small breakfast or lunch that day.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    First: I make sure I'm not hungry when I'm at work; that I've eaten a nutritious breakfast and that my lunch is "in the bag" and I know it will be good.

Second: usually our treats are passive, just on the counter should you care to indulge, but when someone pushes me to imbibe I usually say no thanks and if they continue to push I tell them I'm allergic! I feel good with this exaggeration because mentally I don't want to look at food that's void of nutritional value as an option.

For the holidays I'm trying to plan out in advance what I will allow so that when the moment comes to make a choice I've already thought about it in advance. I've made sure to allow for some things I normally wouldn't eat, but am also planning to avoid most of the heavy calorie, sugary stuff.

happy holidays!