Coworkers who bring in junk food (donuts, chocolate, candy,

Options

Replies

• CCulshaw
    CCulshaw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! My workplace is very social and food is a super big deal. We work in a "pod" environment, so I don't even have to go to a break room to be tempted - it's right there next to my desk! I work with men who are all very big eaters, and they will go out for ice cream in the afternoon and occasionally order breakfast sandwiches from a local deli for morning meetings (about 3 x's per month), on top of bring in donuts, cupcakes, chocolates, cakes, pies, leftover Halloween candy, etc. The only other woman in the group brings sweets in weekly (so SHE doesn't eat it at home, of course), but leaves it over in our work area. I've gotten the nickname "Food Nazi" because of my hardline stance, but I can't help it - I have no willpower and it is SO easy to indulge when it's there ALL THE TIME.

I agree that 1 donut doesn't ruin your day, but if your workplace is anything like mine, it's not an isolated event and these daily indulgences can really add up.

My only advice is to stay strong and stay consistent! I repeat myself until I'm blue in the face and I still come back to my desk at times with candy or something sitting by my keyboard because they think it's funny. However, I've learned if I don't start nibbling, I don't lose control. Once in awhile I allow myself a small bite or 1/2 a donut or even a breakfast sandwich - especially if I know I'll have a big workout that day. It makes me feel so much better than indulging on my "off" day for exercise.

You have to care more about your success than their judgments. Remember, YOU are setting an example, and you may be inspiring others in the office who are too afraid to say anything, as well. Good luck!!!
  • volrathdesign
    Options
    Calories in < calories out = success. A Doughnut are no more "fattening" than the same amount of calories of broccoli.

Not sure I quite follow this? So I would have to eat like 50 florets of broccoli to equal out that donut, hahahaha.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I will take the food, take a bite in front of them and then just throw it away when I get back to my area. Only on occasion. But I usually just say I am allergic or that I don't like the taste.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Already ate a donut today so the diet is out the window for today :P

This is one of the attitudes that causes diets to fail, it's one of the reasons I dislike the term "clean" foods. People thing that unless their diets are 100% "clean" they can't make progress, and eating 1 "bad" food is a failure. One bad food turns into a day (or longer) off your diet because they rationalize that they were already "bad" so you may as well forget about the diet for the rest of the day (or week).

Calories in < calories out = success. A Doughnut are no more "fattening" than the same amount of calories of broccoli.

this is true, I've just decided that since I have limited calories allowed to me each day that I want each calorie I consume to be a nutritious as possible.

thanks,
    JoJo
  • CRMrunner
    CRMrunner Posts: 88 Member
    Options

This is one of the attitudes that causes diets to fail, it's one of the reasons I dislike the term "clean" foods. People thing that unless their diets are 100% "clean" they can't make progress, and eating 1 "bad" food is a failure. One bad food turns into a day (or longer) off your diet because they rationalize that they were already "bad" so you may as well forget about the diet for the rest of the day (or week).

I agree with your equation, but 400 calories of broccoli would be a lot of green. I think what I like most about your response is the idea of diets failing. We are not on a diet here. We are developing new habits for eating. This shouldn't stop after a wedding, spring break, or school pictures. It should just be the new way we are.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! For Halloween our daycare sent our (then) 10 month old son home with a big ole' bag o' candy!!! He doesn't even have teeth yet! I immediately gave the candy away to our neighbors.

Hubby likes to bring home chocolate ice cream, and have chocolate or almond filled croissants for breakfasts on the weekends. I might have a bite but I really try to stay away from the stuff as much as possible. (He made bacon-blueberry pancakes one weekend!) When mornings are off-track it makes it harder to stay on track later on. I just keep on working out in the mornings and make sure to have my boiled eggs and lots of water so that when I do splurge a bit it's not so bad.
  • Melmade
    Options
    Bring in carrots and celery, insist that they eat it, and look at them weird when they say no. HAHAHA...

^^HAHAHAHA!^^
  • Melmade
    Options
    Sometimes I will take the food, take a bite in front of them and then just throw it away when I get back to my area. Only on occasion. But I usually just say I am allergic or that I don't like the taste.

^^I like this!^^
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Meh. Indulging a little once in a while helps keep me sane, and prevents me from going way overboard later.

When you don't want to, though, I'm a big believer in the little white lie. "I'll grab one later" "Sorry -- my stomach's not agreeing with me today" "Sorry -- I'm allergic to (random ingredient)".
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I agree with your equation, but 400 calories of broccoli would be a lot of green. I think what I like most about your response is the idea of diets failing. We are not on a diet here. We are developing new habits for eating. This shouldn't stop after a wedding, spring break, or school pictures. It should just be the new way we are.

Of course, in the real world nobody ever got fat because of too much broccoli, but the point is that focusing on the calories rather than how "bad" the food is puts the doughnut in perspective, and allows people to lose weight and not completely abandon foods they enjoy, which is better for long term success.
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people that bake treats every so often and then bring it to work to share. I leave it in the kitchen for those who wish to have a snack. I do not force anyone to eat what they don`t want to. I have lost 50lbs, and I have self control and stick to my calories. No one can force me to eat what I don`t want to eat... and no means no. Whining about others who are just trying to do something nice for others isn`t cool ...and it is not like they are stuffing that donut down your throat. Accountability my dear. There is food everywhere and we are responsable for our own personal choices. Just because you are on a diet doesn`t mean everyone in the whole world has to be. And just because you had one donut doesn`t mean your day is out the window. It just means you have to workout harder or eat less for the rest of the day.
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options

I just ate a donut and my diet is perfectly fine today...250 calories fit right into my morning....

Don't beat yourself up.
  • volrathdesign
    Options
    I am one of those people that bake treats every so often and then bring it to work to share. I leave it in the kitchen for those who wish to have a snack. I do not force anyone to eat what they don`t want to. I have lost 50lbs, and I have self control and stick to my calories. No one can force me to eat what I don`t want to eat... and no means no. Whining about others who are just trying to do something nice for others isn`t cool ...and it is not like they are stuffing that donut down your throat. Accountability my dear. There is food everywhere and we are responsable for our own personal choices. Just because you are on a diet doesn`t mean everyone in the whole world has to be. And just because you had one donut doesn`t mean your day is out the window. It just means you have to workout harder or eat less for the rest of the day.

yes i'm holding them accountable for bringing in bad food, hahahahahaha
  • volrathdesign
    Options

I just ate a donut and my diet is perfectly fine today...250 calories fit right into my morning....

Don't beat yourself up.

actually it was the mid-morning reese's pieces fun size cup combined with the donut after lunch that i will have to work off later today :D
  • gixy72
    gixy72 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Alright,

This is more of a general venting than anything else.

Trying SUPER hard to stay onpoint with the daily diet and I'm usually pretty successful on my own. But coworkers (especially between Halloween - Christmas) love to bring in empty calories to work to share with everyone else. I'm near my goal too which means I really really need to watch what I eat while trying to lose the weight and build more muscle mass.

I love the "team building" and "team work" aspect of it, but I HATE the forcefulness of the junk food. If you say no it's like you're this weirdo isolated person who doesn't want to be a fellow coworker with anyone. How many ways can a person say "no thanks" or "sounds great but i just ate" or "trying to watch what i eat" before they finally stop putting boxes of donuts and candy nearby.

Drives me insane, went back through my food diary and my diet would be near perfect during the week if others didn't bring in F#@%ing garbage junk food.

1 diet is not out the window cos of 1 slip up, just burn it off with a long walk.
    2 if you had given up smoking and they were cigs left about the place would you want one NO, (i have to think of the boxes of chocs and dirty ash trays for me to keep off them)
    3 fetch in a fruit bowl and fill it with all your fravs,
    Good luck, dont lose sight this close to your goal
  • ms78
    ms78 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    People always bring cakes etc into my work too but I just don't eat them. Nobody has ever asked me why or looked offended. I just say no thanks and don't give any kind of excuse. Your co-workers sound a little strange!
  • Emily_Katherine
    Options
    Just say "No, Thanks" with a smile. If it's homemade, throw in a compliment: "But it looks/smells great!" If people are gathered around the junk food socializing and you want to partake in the social aspect but not the food, just go over with your coffee, tea or water bottle and join in the conversation. If you are in the mood to indulge, have a little bit ... one of my coworkers cuts donuts or muffins in half. It's not a big deal.
  • volrathdesign
    Options
    Alright,

This is more of a general venting than anything else.

Trying SUPER hard to stay onpoint with the daily diet and I'm usually pretty successful on my own. But coworkers (especially between Halloween - Christmas) love to bring in empty calories to work to share with everyone else. I'm near my goal too which means I really really need to watch what I eat while trying to lose the weight and build more muscle mass.

I love the "team building" and "team work" aspect of it, but I HATE the forcefulness of the junk food. If you say no it's like you're this weirdo isolated person who doesn't want to be a fellow coworker with anyone. How many ways can a person say "no thanks" or "sounds great but i just ate" or "trying to watch what i eat" before they finally stop putting boxes of donuts and candy nearby.

Drives me insane, went back through my food diary and my diet would be near perfect during the week if others didn't bring in F#@%ing garbage junk food.

1 diet is not out the window cos of 1 slip up, just burn it off with a long walk.
    2 if you had given up smoking and they were cigs left about the place would you want one NO, (i have to think of the boxes of chocs and dirty ash trays for me to keep off them)
    3 fetch in a fruit bowl and fill it with all your fravs,
    Good luck, dont lose sight this close to your goal

thanks, i never smoked so comparing anything to cigarettes wouldn't really work. never been overweight either, just trying to lose a few pounds over the next six months and build up some muscle.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options

Re: the first comment - why is it their fault? Unless they force fed you the food, every bite you took was ultimately your choice. I also work in an office that not only has food brought in by coworkers, but also continual food and catered lunches from outside vendors. And we have not one, but three different jars of candy between the two aisles my team occupies.

It's all a matter of personal willpower when it comes down to it. One way I avoid the snacking is to open up my diary and log the food first. I look at what it does to my calories and my macros and more often than not, I delete it back out and don't eat the item. But I also just take a deep breath and walk past 'em each time. When lunches are catered, I just walk by the tables of food, grab my lunch I made out of the fridge, heat it up and eat that.

Who cares what anyone else thinks about what you do or don't eat? It's your choice and no one else's.

Re: the second comment - one item does not destroy an entire day. If you do choose to indulge then enjoy it. But don't look at it as ruining the whole day because then you're more likely to eat more crap later. If you ran a stop sign by accident on the way to work, would you think, "Oh, I've already run one, the rest don't even matter today." and then run all the stop signs for the day? No. So don't look at one unhealthy thing in your diary that way either. Instead, do what running that stop sign would do, make you more aware and even more on top of what you're doing for the rest of the day.

It's all tough, if it were easy everyone would be their ideal weight. It's just a matter of how you approach things to make them easier or more difficult for yourself. :)
  • ngory07
    ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ok I am getting a little tired of posts like these....I mean I get where ur coming from. Eating healthy is not easy in the real world. Come on ur not living in a bubble. There will be unhealthy yet delicious food all around u for the rest of ur life. I mean do u get pissed when u go to the grocery store or a restaraunt because they have tons of foods that don't fit into ur diet plan? This is a lifestyle change. And if can live without a donut or a treat for the rest of ur life than more power to u! I do not think they are trying to be mean but honestly some people who have never had a weight problem or are in denial have the occasional treat and don't think twice. Its not rudeness its life. Don't feel bad if they don't like it scew em. But the majority of people aren't going to say **** if u turn down a freaking donut. I second all the bring healthy snacks if its that big of a problem for u. But please don't blame the people around u for a bad day of eating. That's immature. We r in control of our choices. And one donut is not the end of the world and that kind of thinking is what gets us unhealthy in the first place. Suck it up and move on!