womens weight training

Options
I've read the articles. I've watched the Youtube videos. I know I have to be strength training. But seriously, can someone be a bit more specific!! what shall I start with (weight wise) and what/how shall i lift? I have dumbells and thats it. Are there any DVDs I can use? I understand I should be doing compound movements but would kind of like a programme to follow. How do I know if I'm doing it right and I'm lifting heavy enough and not doing myself any damage.

I can't join a gym as I have no spare cash (saving for a wedding and cannot fully justify a gym membership). So all this has got to be done at home!

Help? I don't know where to start!! x

Replies

• bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Check amazon for strength training videos.
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    could you afford a one off personal trainer session - one of the freelance ones get them to show you some things to do or how about the outdoor fitness classes, they are supposed to be quite brutal and some at least you can pay on a session by session, some local to me are reasonably priced
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of targeted weight training. So my schedule likes this:

1 - cardio
    2 - legs
    3 - cardio
    4 - biceps
    5 - cardio
    6 - triceps
    7 - cardio
    8 - legs
    9 - cardio
    10 - chest
    11 - cardio
    12 - bicep/tricep
    13 - cardio
    14 - legs
    15 - cardio
    16 - back
    17 - cardio

And on it goes. Once I've gone through all of these then I take a week off and do nothing but cardio. I'm at a gym so I've got the benefit of weights.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you pick up the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" great read and advice as well as routines.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    The New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Beautiful Badasses
  • snkeller24
    Options
    My suggestion would be to use a little bit lighter weight until you feel comfortable with the form; working out in front of a mirror is useful just don't forget to train the muscles you don't see in a mirror. When you complete a set, whatever number that may be, using 6 for an example, you want to make sure those last 2 are the hardest reps. Then rest and repeat. It's a lot of trial and error starting out with lifting. Everyone is going to have different starting points obviously. Keep a notebook of what movements you do and at what weight so you can track progress.

A lot of people will probably recommend a 'Jillian Michaels' product. There always seems to be a lot of support groups here. Myself, I CrossFit and follow a program from Jamie Eason through bodybuilding.com

I'm glad you're excited to start resistance training. It's very important in aiding with weightloss and getting a better looking body. Just remind yourself that you're not going to get bulky. Get that out of the way. At first you may gain because you're adding muscle overtop/with the starting fat, but it will pay off in the end. Don't give up!
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of nerd fitness, if you haven't checked it out, you should give it a read!

As I'm very new to the whole weight training/power lifting business, I don't feel comfortable giving advice on how to do it. (I workout in a group setting, and always have coaches there watching/teaching/helping me.) And yes, it can get pricey! I pay $150/month, but for how much I go it ends up being about $7 a session (1 hour long), in addition to them helping me goal setting, nutrition info, etc. I won't deny it's expensive! (However, I do think it's the best money I spend every month! And this is coming from someone who is in grad school and nannying.)

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
    This guy gives some great strength training you can do at home using only your body! Definitely a place to start :)
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how you're going to lift without weights. You can do things with just "body weight" like push-ups (and for wimps like me, I even do squats without weights right now)... but really you need weights to lift.

If you're interested in gaining muscle strength without weights, you might look into yoga. There are many different types. In some types of yoga, you flow from one form to another and it becomes almost a cardio work out, but in other types, you hold a pose for several breaths. Holding those poses definitely stresses your muscles.

BUT I really have no idea if yoga has the same benefits in regards to retaining muscle mass while dieting that weight training provides.

If you go the yoga route, there are books and DVDs aplenty. I like "Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss" with Suzanne Deason (might have mangled her name). It's slow and shows you how to modify poses, which works perfectly for miss-unflexible-me.

Good luck.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    If I understand correctly - you have dumbbells. You can certainly use those. Though you will eventually need to buy heavier sizes, then you may have at home. (as your strength improves)

For DVDs - P90X has a great strength training with weights, using Dumbbells only. (Tony Horton)
    Chalene Extreme also has a similar and good program on DVD. Both are Beach body programs. (Chalene Johnson)

These are both full body programs, that also include some cardio. P90X also uses resistance bands or an in door frame pull up bar (Wallmart, and Target carry them)

You would lift the heaviest you can for about 6-12 reps roughly, with good form. At the end of 12 reps, you should have a hard time doing your last 2-3. If you consistently feel you can still do 5 more reps- then its time to move up in weights. If you struggle to do 5 reps, and form suffers, then move down in weights.

Its hard to know what YOU need to start with - as it depends on your strength level. For example - I use 15-50 lbs of weights in dumbbells. 3, 5, and 10s are all to light for me. But that may be heavy for you at this point. Thats ok.

So start where you are, and work up, as fitness level improves, but do not sacrifice form!

New Rules For Lifting is an excellent resource also, as in Jamie Easons Site on Body Building.com

If you goto a gym, a good personal trainer can help show proper lifting to get you started.

I work strictly from home, excellent results. I lift heavy , 3 days a week. (I use P90x and Rushfit)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I only use dumbbells at home, plus body weight exercises. You can definitely strength train well with that.

Check out this site for plenty of exercise for each body part. Short videos show you form. A very basic routine incorporates at least 2-3 exercises per body part.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/
  • Denziee
    Denziee Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    thanks for all your advice so far.
  • Denziee
    Denziee Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I only use dumbbells at home, plus body weight exercises. You can definitely strength train well with that.

Check out this site for plenty of exercise for each body part. Short videos show you form. A very basic routine incorporates at least 2-3 exercises per body part.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

and tangal88 ... thank you!! this is very helpful!! xx
  • mochalovies
    mochalovies Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    hmm I can only imagine how reading all the information online can be overwhelming, there are soo many things out there -- basic sets, pyramids, burnout sets... enough to make anyone's brain hurt.

You can get couple of dumbells and be able to do tons of exercises at home. I would just stick to the basics until you figure out what works for you, you know - the typical 3 sets 12-15 reps -- and expand from there. The good thing when you are shopping is that you can grab 5-8lber and see how it feels after couple of curls. Again, if you are just starting I would stick to the basic exercises. If you can complete the set and hardly feel a burn you are lifting too light -- if you can barely/not complete the set you are lifing too high -- so you want to be able to complete your sets and feel a nice burn. **think burn baby burn** form is very important when lifting so I wouldn't increase weight until you have the proper form down. If you can get a set of 5/10/15 you could work out pretty much everything.

as far as routine goes, well you should be able to find something that works for you out there (i.e. times per wk etc) -- then you can build your own depending on your goals

Hope this helps! and GL :)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    The New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Beautiful Badasses

Definitely this^!!
  • stacyb521
    Options
    Resistance bands are also good for strength training, especially when you don't want to bulk up. I have been doing work outs on exercizetv.tv and they should have some workouts that incorporate strength training and cardio together.
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You should look into Jamie Eason Live Fit program. Its a 12-week program and the exercises are not complicated. I have been doing it for a week now and I am happy with the progress. She explains that you should lift 60% of maximum rep you can handle. So for example, for a bicep curl, if you can do one perfect curl at 20lb (no more/less) then you should perform 12 reps at 12lbs (60%of 20lbs).

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-phase-1.html

P.S. You can improvise for ones that require machines, i.e. leg squats, or standing calf raise with dumbbells.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands are also good for strength training, especially when you don't want to bulk up. I have been doing work outs on exercizetv.tv and they should have some workouts that incorporate strength training and cardio together.
    I'm honestly not trying to be difficult, but I get so sad when I see women shy away from weights because it will make them bulk up. To be clear, I'm not hating on resistance bands. I use them for aspects of my workouts, too. I'm also not trying to tell anyone they MUST lift heavy weights either. I just really want to put to rest the myth that lifting heavy weights will make women bulky.

Men have far more testosterone than women, that's why they can get big and bulky. Muscle doesn't make you bulky, fat does.

(I won't bore you with more explanation, but if you are interested, here is a great explanation: http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/ )

Once again, I'm really not trying to be rude/hateful/complicated/annoying :)
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    BUMP! very helpful information!
  • timingsands
    Options
    Great topic. I'm gonna need this info later, thanks!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    If you want strength, great looking body and low body fat, pick up some heavy weights and don't be scared of bulking up, because you will not.