Have a difficult time with running

Hello all,

Just wanted to see if anyone had some advice for me. Over the last few weeks I've attempted running on a treadmill a few times, but couldn't last very long. My calves start cramping up about 10 minutes in. I can power through it for about 5 minutes, but it gets pretty painful.

I try focusing on relaxing the muscles between each step, which helps a little, but isn't very easy. I also tried varying between running & walking, but the cramps start right back up when I switch to running.

Before picking up exercising again, I'd never had this problem. Even now, I have no issues on an eliptical or other low-impact machines. I would really like to run as it seems easier to get and keep my heart rate up.

Does anyone have any ideas that might help me? Thanks!

Replies

• silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Do you stretch properly? Downward-dog calve stretches work wonders for me...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    How's your potassium?

Also, I find it much easier to run outside. And I cannot run on a track without sharp pain shooting from my ankles to my knees for a whole day after. It may just be that a treadmill is the wrong surface for you.
  • sehein7
    sehein7 Posts: 78 Member
    C25K (Couch to 5K program)
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    (drink lots of water too)
  • mrsher2
    mrsher2 Posts: 14 Member
    Running requires a different form than elliptical training, walking, stair-stepping, etc. Specifically, if you're doing it right and striking with your toes first, you'll likely experience some calf cramping until they strengthen. I'd suggest keeping it up but paying special attention to stretch your calves regularly and possibly add some calf building exercises (toe raises, etc) into your workout routine.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Hello all,

Just wanted to see if anyone had some advice for me. Over the last few weeks I've attempted running on a treadmill a few times, but couldn't last very long. My calves start cramping up about 10 minutes in. I can power through it for about 5 minutes, but it gets pretty painful.

I try focusing on relaxing the muscles between each step, which helps a little, but isn't very easy. I also tried varying between running & walking, but the cramps start right back up when I switch to running.

Before picking up exercising again, I'd never had this problem. Even now, I have no issues on an eliptical or other low-impact machines. I would really like to run as it seems easier to get and keep my heart rate up.

Does anyone have any ideas that might help me? Thanks!
    I had this happen when I first started running. I decided to quit for a while and do other cardio like TurboKick and added some strenght training. About 6 months later, I tried to run again and ran over 3 miles like it was nothing. Maybe you need to gain some strength first and work you way up to running. I guess it depends on how athletic you are right now.
  • graycaro
    graycaro Posts: 71 Member
    Try a program called Couch to 5K, it is a way to ease your body into running, even for those, like me, who have zero experience. It's been great getting my endurance up, too.

There are plans online that I found just by googling it.

Hope it gets better for you!
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    I hope you have the proper equipment (shoes)? Because that kind of pain, especially when you aren't getting it on low-impact machines, typically indicates incorrect footwear.

But yes, lots of water too
  • rml_16

Did you actually read the post?
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
  • Are you properly hydrated? My calves will cramp, if I haven't been drinking my water like I should be.
  • tmtolbert
    tmtolbert Posts: 59 Member
    i had this too when i started running. make sure you do a warm up light jog or walk and then STRETCH! i have to thoroughly stretch my calves before a run. also make sure your shoes are good... that could make all the difference. drink lots of water and try some bananas on run days. i had issues with tight calves for probably the first week or so and now my calves don't bother me at all! stretch well and if you can push through.
  • After stretching try doing some calf raises. Start with flat feet on the ground then lift up onto the front ball of your foot. This will help strengthen your calf muscles. You might also consider taking a potassium supplement or eat more bananas. The pain will go away the more you work on them.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    When I started running, I just did it gradually. I just increased my speed slowly and eventually it got to a point where I HAD to start jogging because my poor little stubby legs couldn't' keep up anymore! LOL. I had minor pain in my calves.. when it happened, I would just go back to a fast paced walk to give my body a break. I think the calves have to adjust to running if you've never really done it before.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Couch to 5k program. I didn't know about it when I started running, but I've seen MANY people on this site using it and say it is great. How about giving that a try?

Also, make sure you have been properly fitted for shoes. The wrong kind of shoes CAN lead to pain and injury. I definitely recommend a fitting at a running shop before you start. :)
  • Geer76
    Geer76 Posts: 31 Member
    Are you stretching well prior to running and doing a warm up before you start running? You should at least stretch for 5-10 minutes then start with at least a 5 minute walk for warm up before you begin running. Try to start slow with a pace you could easily talk to someone while running. If you ease into it you will be able to gradually build up distance and time as well as speed.

If you can tolerate it, run for 3 minutes then walk for 3 minutes continuing that for at least 40 minutes. Do that at least 3x a week. The next week add a minute to your running while continuing to keep 3 minutes of walking. Keep doing that until you are up to a week of 7 minutes of running and 3 minutes of walking. The next week keep it at 7 running then drop down to 2 minutes of walking but adding an additional 5 minutes to your total time. When you reach 8 minutes running and 2 walking, do it one week at 45 minutes but then add 50 minutes the next week continuing with 8-2. The final week running 9 minutes and wakling 1 minute.

I did this program starting in July and did a graduation 5K in mid-September. I now love to run and can do it with ease. Good luck with it and remember to stretch everything well at the end- even your arms and shoulders.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    How about you skip the running and just up the incline on the treadmill and walk?

Upping the incline on a treadmill and walking at a moderate pace will get your heart rate up there like running will.. without any of the pain in the calves.
  • sehein7
    sehein7 Posts: 78 Member

I did. I understood him to say that he is not new to exercising, but to running. C25K has been wonderful for me so far. I have been exercising almost every day for about 10 months, but still couldn't run 3 minutes. I'm slowly working up my running endurance by using C25K.
  • Nice to know i'm not the only one! I started running a year ago last Oct. My legs cramped terrible when i started and i could only run for about 10-15 min. A year and a couple months later i now run 3 miles almost everyday. Intervile training helped me and also made the weight start coming off. I am down 20 pounds now. Took a long time, but it was worth it.. Now i cant wait to get up and run. I also run on the road so i think that helps too, i get a longer stride than on a treadmill. It will get better just keep it up. Good Luck!!
  • 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Thanks for the tips everyone!

1. Stretch more (& better) - I had been stretching, but not properly or enough it seems
    2. C25K - Hadn't heard of this before. Looks like a good plan. I'll try it!
    3. Drink more water
    4. Get more potassium
    5. Check the shoes - Don't think my feet are rolling or anything, but I'll pay attention to that next time.
  • rml_16

I did. I understood him to say that he is not new to exercising, but to running. C25K has been wonderful for me so far. I have been exercising almost every day for about 10 months, but still couldn't run 3 minutes. I'm slowly working up my running endurance by using C25K.

C25K is a great program for easing into running, but I fail to see how it's going to help this particular problem.