???'s for the wise and leaner

Options
Here I am two weeks into this lifestyle change and started this site 11 days ago. I have yet to have a breakdown and eat something I have regretted, or overindulged. There will be a time, I know myself too well to expect anything different. But here we are approaching the biggest pig out day of a holiday there is and many people are fearing the worst. If my mother were still alive, I would have concerns about major over eatting too. I would like to see someone who has lost a large amount of weight post about the weight they lost and the will power they lose in their battle to lose. I think people are having the hardest time, letting go of "messing up", and thinking they are never going to get it right. Let us know, you haven't won the war, without getting knocked off the horse a few times.

Replies

• TWrecks1968
    TWrecks1968 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You haven't won the war, without getting knocked off the horse a few times.

:drinker:
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I wish I could give you that kind of confidence, but as you said it IS a lifestyle change. We all have temptations and regressions, and they will come. I lost pretty steadily for a year, gained a little (only ~5lbs) then lost steadily for another year... just gained ~9 lbs on my honeymoon + halloween... BUT, I am fighting the urge to continue that through Thanksgiving/Christmas.

I can tell you it got easier for me, because I realized how happy I was being active, getting tons of compliments, and just my general self-esteem/image. Believe me when I say that last sentence is the ONLY important thing you need to know from my post :)
  • espence30
    espence30 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I wish I could give you that kind of confidence, but as you said it IS a lifestyle change. We all have temptations and regressions, and they will come. I lost pretty steadily for a year, gained a little (only ~5lbs) then lost steadily for another year... just gained ~9 lbs on my honeymoon + halloween... BUT, I am fighting the urge to continue that through Thanksgiving/Christmas.

I can tell you it got easier for me, because I realized how happy I was being active, getting tons of compliments, and just my general self-esteem/image. Believe me when I say that last sentence is the ONLY important thing you need to know from my post :)

I agree with this last sentence.. When I go to cheat or splurge, I think about how great it felt when I found my pants fitting loose, or having someone I haven't seen in a while compliment my new weight... it makes me reconsider...
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Here I am two weeks into this lifestyle change and started this site 11 days ago. I have yet to have a breakdown and eat something I have regretted, or overindulged. There will be a time, I know myself too well to expect anything different. But here we are approaching the biggest pig out day of a holiday there is and many people are fearing the worst. If my mother were still alive, I would have concerns about major over eatting too. I would like to see someone who has lost a large amount of weight post about the weight they lost and the will power they lose in their battle to lose. I think people are having the hardest time, letting go of "messing up", and thinking they are never going to get it right. Let us know, you haven't won the war, without getting knocked off the horse a few times.

I have not won the war yet but I'm winning and have not been knocked off the horse even once. I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving I love Turkey, Ham, Dressing and all the other stuff... I think portion control is more important than what you eat. I usually eat some ice cream every week and sometimes red velvet cake..It is within my calorie limits and I exercise more on those days so I have a few extra calories if needed...I have to exercise for my health and also to increase my calories for the day and that has worked extremely well for me..Don't PANIC over Thanksgiving just another day with great food. Eat what you want just log it and don't PILE it in...Did I say PORTION CONTROL.....
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I eat nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks 99% of the time. I indulge cravings in the healthiest manner I can (I find a healthier version and/or have a smaller portion of something I am craving), and I am consistent.

That being said, I will eat too much on Thanksgiving and Christmas and Easter and won't feel guilty about it at all. I will fill my plate up with healthy stuff (especially veggies) first, eat that, and then indulge in the mashed potatoes that are my favorite thing on the planet and a bunch of turkey, too.

I will probably do a little extra exercise before for a few days before and after. I will stay away from the scale this weekend (lots of sodium = false gain showing on the scale) and, when Thanksgiving is over, I'll get right back to what I was doing before.

Even if you mess up for one meal, one day, or even a full week, you can ALWAYS get back on track. EVERY CHOICE YOU MAKE ABOUT WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR BODY WILL EITHER PUT YOU ONE STEP CLOSER TO GOOD HEALTH OR ONE STEP FURTHER AWAY.

So that's my two cents.
  • klthomas59
    klthomas59 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I find if I workout in the morning.....then I am not as hungry. Also use a smaller plate at family gathers it makes me feel like I have more food than I actually do. Fill up with salads, we always bring a fruit salad otherwise make sure you make something to bring that you know you can have. Moderation moderation moderation...
  • grace1611
    Options
    Hi 8 years ago I was 235 lbs , now I am 143, I go up and down I don,t allow my self to get above 165. I use this app to keep steady, I try to do my dairy even if I eat too much, you can logg in next day and cut back a bit on food for as long as it takes. You got to live a little , so have a day off , set a limit , and eat as healthy as possible, enjoy.:flowerforyou:
  • dedarlin
    dedarlin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    try not to look at is as failure when/if you do regress...one day, or one meal is NOT going to make or break your weight loss! what will break it is GIVING UP because of one backslide! eat really well and work out the days leading up to and after thanksgiving, and allow yourself to indulge for 1 day! don't beat yourself up about it, just enjoy it and know that tomorrow is a new day :) my willpower comes from the way i feel after i have a great workout, or get on the scale and see it inching down, or hearing from friends and acquaintances how great they think i look! it really is amazing what a little compliment can do for willpower, who wants their friends to look at them and say 'wow, you look great! how are you doing it?' I DO!!! also finding alternative snacks has been my saving grace, i for one simply cannot just eat less food! lol, i really like to eat often and like to feel full, so eating high cal/fat foods in moderation is really no good for me, i feel deprived. so i have really overhauled my diet, NO fast food (okay, occasional pizza indulgence) no High Fructose Corn Syrup, only whole grains, fresh fruit, veggies, lowfat or nonfat dairy, no sodas (even diet) and lean turkey/chicken/fish. when you eat 'clean' you really have to eat a lot to meet your minimum calorie requirements, so i am always eating! it's great :) good luck, and remember not to give up! you can do this!