Partners for a healty life

Options
Partners for a Healthier Life

In the fall of 2009, my now husband, Tony, was suffering from some medical issues that were consistent with a heart problem. His father had passed away at the age of 60 from a heart attack and he was on his way to the same fate. Luckily that was not the case, but his weight of 485 pounds was a huge contributing factor. I also had a knee injury that fall that required surgery in December. When I arrived for surgery, they had me get on a scale. What a shock to see 291 pounds!

After seeing multiple doctors for my husband’s issue and seeing how far I had let myself go, we decided in January 2010 to do something to better our lives. After I was released from my surgeon, we started to portion control our meals and added exercise to our daily routine. We knew we had a tough battle ahead of us, but we wanted to succeed.

We could not do much in the form of exercise. Just walking a block was a struggle and would leave us out of breath. But we kept at it and are now able to get in 45-60 minutes each day and can walk at least 4 miles. We also enjoy riding our bikes or doing the elliptical, as well as strength training 1-2 times a week.

By October 2010, I lost 75 pounds and Tony lost 130. We were married that month and decided to take a break from our life journey until January 2011. By then we had gained a little of our weight back, but were determined to continue to work hard.

Today I weigh 163 pounds and Tony weighs 235 pounds – our total weight loss is 378 pounds! We are still dedicated to our journey and have more to achieve. We want everyone to know our story and hope that we can motivate others to take that first step to a healthier life. We have faced the struggles and have wanted to quit along the way, but we continue to motivate each other so that we can have the life we always wanted instead of a life of medical problems.

Posting a picture of us before and current. Hope it posts.

3391856_9001-3-1.jpg

Replies

• myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Hey Missa...thanks for sharing your story. Your trials, and success WILL help others. It's been so great having you as a friend and I've enjoyed seeing you come a long way. I'm VERY proud of you and your husband. Keep up the GREAT work girlie! APPLAUSE!!!!!
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    AMAZING job!!! That is fantastic!
  • 2ht2hand1e
    2ht2hand1e Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your dedication to your health. It is so wonderful that you and your husband have supported each other, and you are doing it together. You look so happy and healthy.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Awesome, congratulations on your success!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!! You both look great!!
  • allisonkempo
    allisonkempo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What an amazing journey for you both. I, too, am working with my partner to lose weight. Similar to your husband, he lost his dad when his father suffered a heart attack at the age of 52. This fall, my partner was diagnosed with high blood pressure, and I recently hit an all time weight height of 279. We just started to work with a personal trainer last week, and I'm up to walking 1-2 miles a day and strength training twice a week in the gym.

Like you, injuries have been a problem. I broke my foot last year, and it still gives me significant pain--because I am so overweight. I also have arthritis in my knees and scoliosis which causes me to have lower back spasms when I'm pushing myself in workouts. But I'm determined to work through the pain while slowing down just short of that point where you worry that you're going to reinjure yourself. I've heard said that for every 11 pounds you lose, exercise gets easier and your joints hurt less; and for every 15 pounds you lose, your blood pressure makes a notable improvement.

We're both 41 years old, and I don't want to lose him at 52, like his father. What was shocking to me was that he was worried about losing me, because I was so overweight. My goal is to lose 15 before the first of the new year and be below 200 by the end of summer 2012.

Thanks for your inspiration. Your story brought tears to my eyes, and it's wonderful to see someone in our situation be successful with steady perseverence and dedication to living a longer and healthier life together.
  • jhingst81
    Options
    My husband and I are also trying to lose weight together. I hope we can be as sucessful as the two of you. You look great.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Yall look great!! It makes it so much easier when you have someone to share the journey with.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!