Runnng: How to NOT Hate it with a Passion

Options
Here's the thing. I see runners- I love their bodies, their determination, their dedication.

Then I get out and try to run. And I hate the way my body feels trying to hurl itself forward, how terrible I am, how out of breathe I am... how my boobs flop all over the universe. I'm in decent shape- I can do my part on the elliptical and walk miles and miles without blinking an eye.

And I want to be a runner.

But I hate it. HATE it. And I hate that I hate it!

Has anyone else had this love/hate relationship with running and turned it around? Or am I destined for a somewhat flabby elliptical *kitten*?

Replies

• ultraviolet79
    ultraviolet79 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I totally get where you're coming from! I would love to be a runner, in theory, but I just find running so boring. And uncomfortable. I tried the Couch to 5k program, which is supposed to ease you into running gradually, so you could give that a try. I still got bored, but I know others who liked it.

Personally, I've gone back to cardio I ENJOY. I'll never be a runner, but that's ok with me.
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I had always hated running and refused to do it on my own. This summer I did the C25K program and I still run 3 times a week. I love to run and really miss it when I don't get to. I think the C25K program eases you in and makes you do gradual increases instead of jumping in and doing too much too fast.

I don't have the runner's body yet, but I will get there.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    First of all, stop thinking of how much you hate it. The more you think you hate something, the more you will. Don't focus on the negative but think about how great you will look and feel after you are done. Maybe you are running too fast and that is why you feel like you are hurling yourself forward. Running is a natural thing.

If you feel your boobs flop around too much, buy a better bra.

as for breathing, you should do a 2/2. What I mean is breath in for two steps, breath out for two steps. It will get easier and then you can move up to 3/3.

I love running and even the mornings I am not in the mood, I force myself to get out there and I don't regret that one bit. I regret the mornings that I don't get out of bed to run.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to run if you hate it? I hate running so I pretty much never do it. You don't HAVE to run to get a lean fit body.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Running is not for everyone. And I truly believe you can't FORCE yourself to love running. You either enjoy running or you don't. If you don't enjoy it, find other cardio you enjoy more. There's nothing wrong with not liking to run.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I never hated it with the same intensity you seem to, but I certainly wasn't a big fan of it early on. I find that the better I get at it, the more I enjoy it. Though, i can say that about almost everything I do... things are more fun when you are better at them.

But if you hate it that much, why force yourself to do it? If you hate it, do you really think you'll stick with it long term? Why not try to find something you enjoy?
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    find something you enjoy. Theres no point slogging away at an exercise you hate.

Also your boobs shouldnt be flopping around. You need a decent sports bra for any exercise. Best favour you will ever do your girls :wink:
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    :laugh: "Elliptical *kitten*?" Can you elaborate?

I incorporate 10 minute spurts of running on the treadmill into my regular cardio routine at the gym, but more than that I get bored. The most I can do is 30 minutes, and only if I have some good tunes.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I always hated running for all the reasons you mentioned. I did C25K because I like to challenge myself, and really, really, really wanted to do the Warrior Dash and not have my friends and family stopping to wait for me.

Along the way, I started to improve, and that's when running became fun for me. When I could see the positive changes in my performance, mind and body. I think it started about a month or so into C25K when I was able to run one full mile. That was just amazing to me, that I - the girl who did everything she could to skip gym class 20 years ago - could run one mile! Then two, then three, then four...
  • fatty2fit88
    fatty2fit88 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    the best way to get to like running is just by doing it. its not easy, but very possible.
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    bump
  • MissMichellemybelle
    Options
    I finally love to run.. But there are definitely some hate-filled running days. Like this morning's sentiment was "I'm tired, I'm cold, its raining, I need to get to work, etc..." but for the majority its "i love being out here"

Running definitely starts with hate. To combat that, I had to try EVERY stinking distraction in the book. Anything to keep your mind busy so your brain doesn't wander over to the "I hate this" side. So turn up your music, watch TV if on the treadmill, listen to a podcast.

Eventually, maybe, you will start to feel good about running. But until then, distract yourself!
  • hnjohnson007
    Options
    i hate running too, mostly because i think it's kind of boring :-/ I'm going to start the c25k tonight to see if i can gradually get into it with a little variety of walking and jogging. i forgot my headphones though, so it might be difficult to enjoy :-(
  • lowerbsnow
    lowerbsnow Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I also HATE exercising! Every minute I am doing it, I hate it. Then when I am in bed I start thinking about exercising the next morning and I want to do it. A vicious circle! I am planning to keep it up, though.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    You can do it, running outside somewhere nice like a park / lake makes it more interesting, i like running outside but get bored out of my mind if i try to do longer than 15 mins on treadmill. take your MP3 / ipod with some of your favourite songs.
    run as slow as possible, even if its only just faster than walking dont worry you will get there. at first you will only be able to run for maybe 30 seconds, but that will soon be a minute, then increase by a minute or two each time. Once you get past 10 minutes it seems easier to keep going, once you can run for say 30 minutes without stopping, then start trying to increase your speed a bit at a time.
    I like to play games with myself - run to the next tree / post / whatever markers are on your route, run until the end of the song, a minute longer than last time etc.
    it soon adds up and you will soon be a proper runner :)
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am the SAME way but I really want to pick up running. I am thinking of trying the couch25k program.
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am the SAME way but I really want to pick up running. I am thinking of trying the couch25k program.
  • Geer76
    Geer76 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Being a life long athlete being made to run, I hated our morning runs for soccer and basketball. It wasn't until recently when I did a running program for women where I live that I learned to love it. It really helps if you have someone to do it with so you have someone to hold you accountable and help you. There are sites online where you can find running groups for people of all ages and levels of running.

Giving yourself a goal also helps. Mine was my first ever 5K. When I completed it, it was the best feeling. I loved it so much I have continued to sign up for 5Ks challenging myself to do better and keep up with. You have to change your outlook on it and find the positive in it and find positive support to help you if you really want to give it a try.

If you are flopping around, go to a sports store, not Walmart or Target for a sports bra. For a good one with good support and long lasting you will have to pay over $30 for one.
  • TWrecks1968
    TWrecks1968 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Then I get out and try to run. And I hate the way my body feels trying to hurl itself forward, how terrible I am, how out of breathe I am... how my boobs flop all over the universe. I'm in decent shape- I can do my part on the elliptical and walk miles and miles without blinking an eye.

I hated running when I started, and the big reason is that I started out too fast. Get a heart rate monitor, figure out your aerobic heart rate zone (google it), and then keep in that zone. If you have to walk to do it, do it. As you get fitter, you can start running and stay in the zone. Trust me, you will start to enjoying it, and how it makes you feel when you are done. I have kept 60 lbs or so off for five years now by running and lifting weights. Let me know how it goes.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Run with a friend, or your family? I hate going by myself.