Men & Baby Names

Options
Krizzle4Rizzle
Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
My Boyfriend and I have been together over 4 years. More and more we are starting to talk about getting married and being parents. I find it odd that whenever we talk about baby names he is very flexable when it comes to girl names. But when it comes to boy names he is tough as nail. He has basically said no to every boy name that I have suggested. Anyone go though this with their signicant other?

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Maybe he doesn't have a preference on girl names because he isn't a girl. With boys he can imagine himself having these names giving him a stronger opinion on it.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have ever discussed baby names with my guy. O_o kind of a strange realization there.
  • SugarNtheRaw
    SugarNtheRaw Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Yay for talking about marriage and babies! And yes, my Husband is similar. We have all our names picked out, and finding names for the 2nd girl/boy was the irritating part. Good luck, love!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    He might be fighting you on boy names because boys can be merciless if they think a boy has a weird name. I know when we were pregnant with our first, we had lots of girl names, but couldn't find a boy name. Thankfully she was a girl, so it was a non-issue. But it's hard to find one that sounds strong without being overly macho, unique without being weird, and so on.

Anyway, you don't have any babies yet. You don't have to decide on the names yet. With our second, the name just came to us, even though we couldn't come up with boy names the first time around. Don't stress about it. :)
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Thank GOD I had 2 girls! With 1st one hubby wanted Dallas for a boy and Celeste ;( for a girl....we agreed on Lauren!! 2nd one he was a little more willing to listen to my sensible names! Maybe he can pick out the middle names!! :bigsmile:
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Note that Spike, Buster, Dude, Clint, Joe, etc, etc, are all great boy's names! :-)
    Actually my wife and I had many heated discussions about what to name our two children. In the end, I caved!
    As the saying goes, Happy Wife, Happy Life.
    In the end my children are awesome, even if they do not have the names I had envisioned.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    ha. Mine was the SAME way. Once we actually got pregnant though he changed his mind. He didn't come up with any girls names himself but when I suggested them he had a yes or no in mind for sure :)
  • alisonwww
    Options
    My husband and I have children from other relationships and we never had one together. (I regret this now.) However, if we did, that poor child would probably still be walking around with no name. He was exactly like your boyfriend when the subject came up. What is that?
  • ellekay22
    ellekay22 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The EXACT thing! And we are blessed with 2 boys! Naming them was HELL!

He was stuck on Ernest for BOTH boys (as the first we DID NOT name Ernest - his grandfather). My husband was named after his two grandfathers (Thomas and Ernest) so we named Jamie after his two grandfathers (James and Donald) after about 1000 hours of disagreements. My second, Charlie, is named after about 15 different male relatives on both sides, and Tom finally got his Ernest as a middle name.

Find out what names he likes. You might be frightened!
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Well it's his son, who will carry on his family name, so I guess I can see him being picky. But I would think you would want to put some thought into it regardless of gender.
    I didn't have that issue. My wife's idea for our son's name sounded so good to me that I was cool with her very first choice.
  • emmalouise21
    Options
    Women go through the pain, women choose the name!!! hahahaha i certainly did!! :)
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Options
    He might be fighting you on boy names because boys can be merciless if they think a boy has a weird name. I know when we were pregnant with our first, we had lots of girl names, but couldn't find a boy name. Thankfully she was a girl, so it was a non-issue. But it's hard to find one that sounds strong without being overly macho, unique without being weird, and so on.

Anyway, you don't have any babies yet. You don't have to decide on the names yet. With our second, the name just came to us, even though we couldn't come up with boy names the first time around. Don't stress about it. :)

THIS could be the issue. I like kinda unique names. I was in love with the name Oliver for years. He basically told me over his dead body...
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Well it's his son, who will carry on his family name, so I guess I can see him being picky. But I would think you would want to put some thought into it regardless of gender.
    I didn't have that issue. My wife's idea for our son's name sounded so good to me that I was cool with her very first choice.
    What? It's her son too you know!
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Options
    The EXACT thing! And we are blessed with 2 boys! Naming them was HELL!

He was stuck on Ernest for BOTH boys (as the first we DID NOT name Ernest - his grandfather). My husband was named after his two grandfathers (Thomas and Ernest) so we named Jamie after his two grandfathers (James and Donald) after about 1000 hours of disagreements. My second, Charlie, is named after about 15 different male relatives on both sides, and Tom finally got his Ernest as a middle name.

Find out what names he likes. You might be frightened!

This is very true. He told me he liked Herschel. I told him I would leave him. lol.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    We both agreed on boys' names instantly: Bruce and Clark. If there needed to be a third name, then James (Jim). The nerdy origins of each name is the reason why we chose them.

Girls' names which much trickier. I like Olivia, Viola, Guinevere (Guin), Evelyn, Anjali, Aurora. He thinks these are horrible. We have agreed on only one girl name for sure: Wendy.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options

THIS could be the issue. I like kinda unique names. I was in love with the name Oliver for years. He basically told me over his dead body...

Awww! One of my good friends named her little guy Oliver... aka "Little O". This will be his first "real" christmas, last year he was only a few weeks old.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Maybe he just wants to be sure his son has a "strong" name. I can understand.

<---- Logan Connor
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Options

Awww! One of my good friends named her little guy Oliver... aka "Little O". This will be his first "real" christmas, last year he was only a few weeks old.

Aww so cute. I just love that name. I bet he is adorable.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Options

<---- Logan Connor

I like the name Logan..but our good friends named their son that. That's what happend when you wait. Everyone starts takin the good names lol.

And I LOVE Connor. My last name is O'Connor..so I thought that could be a throw back to my family..but of course..he said no.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

<---- Logan Connor

But but... Logan is Wolverine (strong guy!) and Connor reminds me immediately of the Terminator struggles (strong guys vs strong guys!)