Greek Yogurt

Options
I tried Greek yogurt once....it was so bitter I could not stand it. Do you eat it and what brand do you like? Also, do you eat it plain or always mix something in? I would like to give it another shot but I am leary. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Replies

• shagybear33
    Options
    i love Liberte greek yogurt mixed with some sugar free jello or pudding mix. YUmmyyy!!
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I agree! Plain is nasty to me, however with fruit mixed in it's better, still not my favorite. Plain is a great substitute for sour cream in cooking or toppings.
  • mom2lyla
    mom2lyla Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I always mix something in. My favorites are fresh pomegranate and honey, natural peanut butter and mini chocolate chips, and Jello sugar free/fat free cheesecake pudding mix. I use Fage, usually 0% but the 2% is much tastier!
  • ivy2009
    Options
    Dannon Oikos fruit on the bottom. Plain Greek yogurt is fantastic to use in place of sour cream on tacos, soups, etc.
  • Vaanja
    Vaanja Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    The first brand I tried was Chobani...it was alright, but tasted very much like straight sour cream to me. Then, I tried Athenos fat-free and liked it much better. It tasted more like yogurt and less like sour cream, if that makes sense.
    My favorite add-in is a quarter-cup Kashi Go-Lean Crisp - Toasted berry crumble. I also like to mix in 2 tbsp. pure pumpkin puree, a tsp. Splenda brown sugar mix and a dash of pumpkin pie spice.
  • 1ArmyMom1
    Options
    I have tried a few different brands of plain greek yogurt... I find them all pretty bitter/strong... the one I can deal with the best is Chobani and I like it best with blueberries mixed in... I CANNOT eat it without something mixed in with it. However I tried raspberries mixed in once and did not like that either so I always do the blueberries. Other yogurts (non greek/flavored) have way too much sugar in them so it's best to stick to the plain greek and add the fruit you like best.
  • 1ArmyMom1
    Options
    The first brand I tried was Chobani...it was alright, but tasted very much like straight sour cream to me. Then, I tried Athenos fat-free and liked it much better. It tasted more like yogurt and less like sour cream, if that makes sense.
    My favorite add-in is a quarter-cup Kashi Go-Lean Crisp - Toasted berry crumble. I also like to mix in 2 tbsp. pure pumpkin puree, a tsp. Splenda brown sugar mix and a dash of pumpkin pie spice.

Thank you for this... I haven't tried Athenos & I love your add-ins... great ideas... thanks!
  • 76wendyful
    Options
    Great ideas everyone! Thanks so much!
  • katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Dannon Oikos fruit on the bottom. Plain Greek yogurt is fantastic to use in place of sour cream on tacos, soups, etc.

^ This! Dannon Oikos nails it. I hated Greek yogurt at first, but it's one of those aquired tastes things. Now I eat it daily (sometimes twice a day if my workout was super strenous!). Dannon is still my preferred, but the Chobani (Vanilla, Blueberry, and Black Cherry) are pretty decent too.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Chobani. I like the strawberry, it is a little more "tart" than regular strawberry yogurts and it is 0% fat. Strawberry banana is a little bit sweeter and is 2%. I also like the blueberry or other berry varieties. I don't really care for the vanilla or pineapple or other flavors except the berry ones.
  • sheenabhan
    sheenabhan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try to add honey to your Greek Yogurt--- if not that then the Danon Brand is quite good.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I love Athenos if I want something to grab and go - the least amount of sugar of any flavored Greek yogurt I've seen.

Otherwise, I put 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries in a dish, top with 1/2 c of Fage. By the time I have it for my midmorning snack the berries have thawed and are juicy, so I mix it all together and stir in chopped almonds or sunflower seeds. Yummy!
  • Gunff
    Gunff Posts: 47
    Options
    Yoplait Strawberry greek yogurt, they have regular and x2 protien. x2 is a little bit harder to take
  • nborsh22
    nborsh22 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I tried the Chobani 0% fat a few months ago and could barely take it down. I tried to mix in my Bare Naked granola like I do with regular yogurt and it was way too thick for me. Recently I tried it again and picked Strawberry Banana, it wasn't until I got home that I realized Strawberry is 0% but the Strawberry Banana is 2% and tastes so much better!!! They only have Strawberry Banana and Pineapple in the 2% but that is fine with me. I will take the 3 grams of fat for the better taste......all the extra protein is worth it. I usually eat it after my running and it's great.
  • dsrszs
    dsrszs Posts: 14
    Options
    Sometimes, I buy yogurt, but most of the time I make my own. It takes minutes of my time and I can make a half gallon while I am sleeping or at work. The longer it sits, the thicker and more potent that taste you were referring to is. If you make it yourself, you can control some of the "tartness" you were referring to.

Smoothies - add a bit of vanilla, stevia and fruit.

(My favorite: 1 cup plain or Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup orange juice, stevia to taste, grated fresh ginger to taste, and 1/4 teaspon of vanilla powder. You can use vanilla extract, but since I am not cooking out the alcohol flavor in the extract, I prefer vanilla powder.)

Kefir is another alternative. It has a milder flavor and is even easier to make on your own.

Lebni is a middle eastern cheese. It is made from drained kefir. I use it the same way I would cream cheese.

Enjoy.
  • erinnhamil2n
    erinnhamil2n Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I add a scoop of my chocolate protein to chaboni vanilla greek. I think it's yummy.
  • Liopleurodon
    Options
    I put in a couple of teaspoons of coffee syrup (such as you might get at Starbucks or the like) to make it sweeter and get some variety. Gingerbread is my favourite. You can get sugarfree versions if you're worried about sugar. Personally I don't worry too much as it's quite a small amount of sugar and it makes a big difference.
  • KLaurean
    KLaurean Posts: 112
    Options
    CHOBANI!!!
    I like the plain and I mix it in with a tablespoon of honey.
    Yes, honey.
    People are always knocking it, but to me the antioxidant properties far outweigh the cons.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Plain 0% yogurt is bitter but 2% fat is heaven in a cup. I adore Fage 2% plain.
  • cutie2b
    cutie2b Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Stonybrook Oikos Non-Fat Yogurt. The plain flavor I treat like a healthy form of sour cream and use it to cook with - I've put it into sauces, quiches, on potatoes, etc. I also on occasion have sweetened it with honey. Also, the flavors with sugar in them are really good, but they do have sugar and extra calories, but they are really creamy, and very good in my opinion.