oven "fried" chicken

Options
mlmanney
mlmanney Posts: 349 Member
Hi! I am looking for a tried and yummy oven fried chicken recipe. I am sure that you have covered this in past posts but for the life of me I cant find one! I did a search online and found lots of them but I trust you all to have the best!:flowerforyou: i have been craving fried chicken with a little hot sauce for like a month now and want to head it off at the pass...already bought chicken...so I am committed to it at least for today!
If anyone has a recipe...it would be greatly appriciated!

Replies

• mlmanney
    Options
    Hi! I am looking for a tried and yummy oven fried chicken recipe. I am sure that you have covered this in past posts but for the life of me I cant find one! I did a search online and found lots of them but I trust you all to have the best!:flowerforyou: i have been craving fried chicken with a little hot sauce for like a month now and want to head it off at the pass...already bought chicken...so I am committed to it at least for today!
    If anyone has a recipe...it would be greatly appriciated!
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I've heard this way is good - I've never done it, but it sounds good and low cal. I usually coat it with cheeze it's or fried onions - neither way is overly low cal.

CRISPY OVEN - FRIED CHICKEN

1 egg, lightly beaten
    1 tbsp. water
    1 c. Rice Krispies, crushed
    1/4 c. buttermilk baking mix
    1 tbsp. instant minced onion
    1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 tsp. seasoned salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    3 1/2 lb. broiler - fryer, cut up and skinned, or boneless skinned breasts
    Vegetable cooking spray
    Green onion fans (optional)
    Carrot flowers (optional)

Combine egg and water in shallow bowl. Mix well and set aside. Combine crushed cereal, baking mix, minced onion, garlic powder, seasoned salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Stir until well blended and set aside. Trim excess fat from chicken; dip chicken in to egg mixture and dredge in cereal mixture coating well. Arrange chicken in 15 x 10 x 1 inch jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until tender. Place on serving platter and garnish with green onion fans and carrot flowers.
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I've heard this way is good - I've never done it, but it sounds good and low cal. I usually coat it with cheeze it's or fried onions - neither way is overly low cal.

CRISPY OVEN - FRIED CHICKEN

1 egg, lightly beaten
    1 tbsp. water
    1 c. Rice Krispies, crushed
    1/4 c. buttermilk baking mix
    1 tbsp. instant minced onion
    1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 tsp. seasoned salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    3 1/2 lb. broiler - fryer, cut up and skinned, or boneless skinned breasts
    Vegetable cooking spray
    Green onion fans (optional)
    Carrot flowers (optional)

Combine egg and water in shallow bowl. Mix well and set aside. Combine crushed cereal, baking mix, minced onion, garlic powder, seasoned salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Stir until well blended and set aside. Trim excess fat from chicken; dip chicken in to egg mixture and dredge in cereal mixture coating well. Arrange chicken in 15 x 10 x 1 inch jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until tender. Place on serving platter and garnish with green onion fans and carrot flowers.

do you know nutritional info for this? sounds good!
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    I do mine with homemade bread crumbs. Put a couple of pieces of bread in a food processor and chop them up pretty fine. Then put them on a cookie sheet and season however you prefer. I use s&p and a little olive oil. Then bake them in a 300 degree oven constantly stirring and checking so they don't burn. Then make an egg wash and dip your chicken into that and then the bread crumbs. Bake at 375 until juices run clear.
  • ianconway
    ianconway Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Tried, True, Tested and Yummy :laugh: --

Biggest Loser's Winning "Fried" Chicken

173 Calories, 29g Protein, 9g Carbohydrates, 2g Fat, 66mg Cholesterol, 1g Fiber, 171mg Sodium
    Yield: Serves 2

Ingredients

* 3 Tbsp. fat-free plain yogurt
    * 4 large fresh basil leaves, chopped
    * 1 tsp. chopped fresh oregano leaves
    * 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves
    * 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    * pinch of salt
    * pinch of ground black pepper
    * 4 Tbsp. Ian's Whole Wheat Panko Breadcrumbs, or finely crushed Wasa Light Rye Crispbread
    * 2 small 1/4-pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of visible fat
    * Mustard or low-fat, low-sodium marinara sauce to taste (optional)

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly mist a small nonstick baking sheet with olive oil spray.
    2. In a medium shallow bowl, combine the yogurt, basil, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir to mix well.
    3. Place 2 tablespoons of bread crumbs or crushed crispbread in another medium shallow bowl. Set next to the yogurt mixture. Dip one chicken breast into the yogurt mixture to coat. Transfer to the crumbs to coat evenly. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Add the remaining two tablespoons crumbs to the owl. Repeat the procedure with the second breast. Place on the baking sheet, not touching the other breast.
    4. Bake for 10 minutes. Flip the chicken and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until no longer pink. Serve immediately with mustard or marinara sauce on the side, if desired.
  • Tim964
    Tim964 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ian - that sounds like a great recipe.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options

do you know nutritional info for this? sounds good!

I don't have the nutrition on it, but you could enter it into sparks recipe calculator (just google it - I'm not sure of the address). Sorry
  • mlmanney
    Options
    Thank you for the recipes....I am sure that it will keep me from going to popeyes:bigsmile: !
    he he...gonna try one of the tonight!
  • annlhughes
    annlhughes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    great recipe Ian! I've also pulverized Fiber-One Cereal and used it as a coating - nice nutty flavor and very low cal.:tongue: yum
  • mlmanney
    Options
    ok sooo.....loving to cook like I do and apparently being ADD/creative....this is what I ended up making...I kind of took a combination of different recipes....

I "marinated" my chicken overnight with onion powder, garlic powder, ground chipotle, salt and pepper.

preheated oven to 400. Mixed in a bowl ff sour cream (could use yogurt) and egg whites.
    dipped chicken until coated.
    rolled in Panko bread crumbs(seasoned with the same as I "marinated" chicken)

baked in the oven turning when half done. I did spritz the pan with pam and the top of the chicken to promote even browning.

served with steamed veggies, brown rice and lousianna hot sauce!
    it was very yummy and I will definatly be making this again!
  • csnealey
    csnealey Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I am going to test the theory of Oatmeal Flour on my chicken this weekend- Im very limited in the ingredients I can use so I will try Oatmeal Flour and let you know- I also will be baking it in the oven as well
  • hulkj
    hulkj Posts: 218
    Options
    I put lemon juice and pepper on a skinless, boneless breast and then roll it in a tablespoon of french fried onions that come in a can. Bake at 395 for about 45 minutes covered. The onions will get very crispy and give you that crunchy taste like fried. It doesn't compare with Popeyes, but it is very good! This is coming from a person that has a real taste for fried foods! :) I took parts of this from an old Weight Watchers recipe. Some soak the breast in an egg first. I don't use the egg. There's also a recipe on the french fried onions. I think the onions are 70 cals for a tablespoon. You'll have to check the can and I don't have one right now. I've also used this with fish and it is very yummy.
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    The best recipe I have tried for oven baked chicken is on the bisquick box
    Just substitute the whole fryer for boneless skinless.