Vegetarian Recipes?

Options
hollyeverhart
hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
I recently have went back to being vegetarian (one month ago) after a year of going back to eating meat and I am looking for some new recipes! I love pretty much all veggies and I am not picky, so all suggestions are welcome. I am not vegan so dairy is okay!
thanks!

Replies

• sharonus
    sharonus Posts: 102
    Options
    Gojee (http://www.gojee.com/food/recipes/) is a great site with drool worthy pictures of recipes. It allows you to enter ingredients you "crave" and "dislike". If you put "vegetarian" in 'dislike' it will automatically exclude all meat recipes. The only problem I see with it is that the recipes don't tend to have calorie counts, but you can kind of figure out which ones are going to be higher in calories based on the ingredients.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    www.ohsheglows.com/recipes is one of my favorite sites!
  • jinx119
    Options
    I have a terrific recipe for indian kidney beans, it is mild but if you like hot feel free to add extra chilli powder. Serves 4.

Ingredients:
    750g Kidney beans
    400g diced tomatoes
    1 small onion or 1/2 medium onion finely diced
    1 teaspoon minced ginger
    1 clove garlic minced
    1 teaspoon oil
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds
    1/2 teaspoon tumeric
    1/2 teaspoon garam masala
    1/4 hot chilli powder
    1 teaspoon salt

1) heat oil in a fry pan and sprinkle cumin seeds round the pan and fry til brown.
    2) add onion, garlic and ginger and fry til onion is soft.
    3) add garam masala, tumeric, chilli and salt and stir through.
    4) add kidney beans, tomato and some water (i usually add 400mls but it depends on how "saucy" you like it)
    5) simmer for about 20 minutes or until kidney beans are cooked stirring occasionally.

you can serve it with flat bread, normal bread or rice its really up to you! enjoy!

oh and it is only 269 calories a serve! :)
  • hollyeverhart
    Options
    I have a terrific recipe for indian kidney beans, it is mild but if you like hot feel free to add extra chilli powder. Serves 4.

Ingredients:
    750g Kidney beans
    400g diced tomatoes
    1 small onion or 1/2 medium onion finely diced
    1 teaspoon minced ginger
    1 clove garlic minced
    1 teaspoon oil
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds
    1/2 teaspoon tumeric
    1/2 teaspoon garam masala
    1/4 hot chilli powder
    1 teaspoon salt

1) heat oil in a fry pan and sprinkle cumin seeds round the pan and fry til brown.
    2) add onion, garlic and ginger and fry til onion is soft.
    3) add garam masala, tumeric, chilli and salt and stir through.
    4) add kidney beans, tomato and some water (i usually add 400mls but it depends on how "saucy" you like it)
    5) simmer for about 20 minutes or until kidney beans are cooked stirring occasionally.

you can serve it with flat bread, normal bread or rice its really up to you! enjoy!

oh and it is only 269 calories a serve! :)

Thanks!! That sounds like something I would love. I am all about anything with tomatoes/beans/chili powder.
    I cant wait to try that!
  • hollyeverhart
    Options
    Gojee (http://www.gojee.com/food/recipes/) is a great site with drool worthy pictures of recipes. It allows you to enter ingredients you "crave" and "dislike". If you put "vegetarian" in 'dislike' it will automatically exclude all meat recipes. The only problem I see with it is that the recipes don't tend to have calorie counts, but you can kind of figure out which ones are going to be higher in calories based on the ingredients.

Thank you, this website looks great. I just signed up! The pictures are amazing.......lol
  • jlanab
    jlanab Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hollyeverhart
    Options
    So I tried the meatless pulled "pork" it was disgusting! the texture/taste was off. It sucks, thats one of the few things I miss not eating meat. Also CHEESE STEAK.....Oh :c Any ideas? I feel so stuck in a rut right now when it comes to food, I eat Chick N patties with stewed tomatoes & healthy weight green giant vegetables with cut up chick N patties & salads, oh and raisin bran. So bored with my food right now.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    how about a vegetable spaghetti? Add squash, zuccini, bell peppers, garlic, onion, carrots..
  • ocandi
    ocandi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms! Mushrooms are your friend. They can mimic meat texture if you get the right ones. I recently discovered a variety at my farmers' market called Lazy Eye mushrooms. I made a quick ragout (olive oil, a little butter, onions. mushrooms, thyme) and served over polenta. It was like eating meat!

I don't eat much meat myself, and I shy away from all those fake soy meat-type products. Blech.

My boyfriend made this last night and it was AWESOME with a dollop of sour cream: http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2009/11/chipotle-sweet-potato-soup-recipe.html

Look for the Moosewood cookbook - she makes some really filling veggie meals with options for dairy/non dairy. You can customize them to your tastes.

:)
  • BirdGirlFit
    BirdGirlFit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love the website "veg kitchen" they have a ton of really great recipes that don't rely on seitan or faux meat.

http://www.vegkitchen.com/

Eat, Drink & Be Vegan is good too, you can always add dairy or eggs even though she excludes them:

http://vivelevegan.blogspot.com/

They also have some really good Thanksgiving recipes that I'm going to try this year:

“Three Sisters” Stew
    In Native American mythology, squash, corn, and beans are known as of the “three sisters.” These are the very crops, along with garden vegetables, that the harvest festival of Thanksgiving is meant to celebrate!

Serves: 8 or more

•1 small sugar pumpkin or 1 large butternut or carnival squash (about 2 pounds)
    •2 tablespoons olive oil
    •1 medium onion, chopped
    •2 cloves garlic, minced
    •1 medium green or red bell pepper, cut into short, narrow strips
    •14- to 16-ounce can diced tomatoes, with liquid
    •2 cups cooked or one 16-ounce can pink, pinto, or black beans
    •2 cups corn kernels (from 2 large or 3 medium ears)
    •1 cup homemade or canned vegetable stock, or water
    •1 or 2 small fresh hot chiles, seeded and minced, or one 4-ounce can
    chopped mild green chilies
    •2 teaspoons ground cumin
    •1 teaspoon dried oregano
    •Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    •1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro or parsley
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Remove stem from the pumpkin or squash and cut in half lengthwise. Cover with aluminum foil and place the halves, cut side up, in a foil-lined shallow baking pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until easily pierced with a knife but still firm (if using squash, prepare the same way). When cool enough to handle, scrape out and discard the seeds and fibers; scoop out the flesh, and cut into large dice. Set aside until needed.

Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until the onion is golden.

Add the pumpkin and all the remaining ingredients except the last 2 and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently, covered, until all the vegetables are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

If time allows, let the stew stand for 1 to 2 hours before serving, then heat through as needed. Just before serving, stir in the cilantro. The stew should be thick and very moist but not soupy; add additional stock or water if needed. Serve in shallow bowls.

Chocolate pumpkin pie

This pie is rich and decadent, so a little slice will do. Serve portions with vanilla nondairy ice cream or whipped cream, sorbet, or a fresh fruit sauce. Contributed by Dreena Burton, from Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan.
    Serves: 6 to 8

•1 1/4 cups nondairy chocolate chips
    •14-ounce can organic pumpkin pie mix
    •2 tablespoons unrefined sugar
    •2 teaspoon arrowroot powder
    •1/8 teaspoon (rounded) sea salt
    •1 prepared chocolate cookie-crust pie shell (see note)
    •2 tablespoons nondairy chocolate chips, optional (for garnish)
    Preheat oven to 425º F. Fit a metal or glass bowl over a saucepan on medium-low heat and filled with several inches of water (or use a double-boiler). Add 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips to bowl and stir occasionally as water simmers (not boils), letting chocolate melt.

While chocolate is melting, in a food processor, add pumpkin pie mix (scraping out everything from can), sugar, arrowroot powder, and salt. Purée until very smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Once chocolate is melted, add to food processor and purée with pumpkin mixture, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.

Pour mixture into pie crust (scraping out all filling) and tip pie back and forth gently to evenly distribute filling. Sprinkle on 2 tablespoon chocolate chips. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350oF (180oC) and bake for another 35 minutes, until pie is set (the center may be soft, but it will set further as it cools).

Carefully remove from oven and place on cooling rack. Let cool completely before slicing, refrigerating if desired.

Note: You can also use a traditional pastry crust or graham cracker crust if you prefer.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I love to make black bean burgers! They're freakin delicious. My favorite is an Indian spiced version.

Here's my recipe: http://happygoodtime.wordpress.com/2011/11/16/indian-spiced-black-bean-burgers-with-yogurt-sauce/

Pictures and everything =)
  • sharonus
    sharonus Posts: 102
    Options
    I don't think it's going to replace cheesesteak, but I really like the Tofurkey deli slices. I like to make a grilled cheese with 5 slices (5 slices = one serving = 120 cal). I know what you mean about the pulled "pork". I can't remember the brand, but I had something like that ones and it was way to chewy.

Some of my favorite frozen meat replacment foods are:

Morningstar Farms - http://www.morningstarfarms.com (Veggie burgers, veggie chicken nuggets, veggie buffalo wings)
    Gardein - http://www.gardein.com (Veggie burgers and meat replacement for stir-frys and such)
    Moophrey and Cluckphrey - http://www.foodforlife.com/product-catalog/vegan-meats (Veggie burgers and "chicken" nuggets)
    Field Roast - http://www.fieldroast.com (They are local for me, but maybe you can find them near you at Whole Foods or something. The veggie sausages are AWESOME.)
  • kretakano
    kretakano Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I fell in love with Ottolenghi's recipes from his cookbook "Plenty", which just features vegetarian recipes. His food is very tasty and feature lots of mediterranean and eastern dishes.

Some recipes are available on his website and on the guardian:

http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/blog/category/recipes/

enjoy :-)
  • auntbyte
    auntbyte Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you're not a fan of faux meat. please don't read this or reply!! It's convenient, dang it. And we didn't have these great products a few years ago! I'm thankful we do, in moderation. So there!

I've just discovered Morningstar's new "Turkey" patties with tomato and avocado. Delicious! Ditto their bbq riblets.

And I keep Tofurkey Hickory Smoked Deli slices in my fridge at all times. Great for club salads or sandwiches and at 30 cal each, I can indulge!

Quorn "chicken" patties stuffed with Gruyere cheese make me weak in the knees, and their Quorn Roast will be in my oven for Thanksgiving.

If you have a Whole Foods nearby, they have "mock chicken salad" in their deli. It's awesome, but you can make your own with packages of Delight Soy "chicken" nuggets in their freezer case. I make it with Vegenaisse (which I now like better than Kraft Mayo). My carnivore friends eat this up!!

Daiya cheeses are the only vegan cheeses worth buying, in my opinion. They've just come out with "pepper jack". They melt well and get all gooey, like cheese is supposed to.

And Egg Beaters. Again, at 30 cal/serving, it's really good, all loaded up with veggies.

I like a BLT made with Morningstar Farm's bacon. The trick is to make sure it gets crispy; then it's yummy with a big, fat slice of heirloom tomato!

I adore this hearty dish! Its an easy, fast weeknight meal that's good enough to serve company!

vegan beef stew

Serves 4

3 T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1 C. Raw Carrots, Chopped
    1 C. Raw New Potatoes, Chopped
    1/2 C. Raw Onions. Chopped
    1 - 2 Cartons of Imagine Wild Mushroom Gravy, to taste
    1 Pkg Gardein "Beef Tips"
    Seasoning to taste

Saute veggies in the olive oil over medium high heat until carmelized and tender. Add the carton(s) of gravy to taste.
    In a separate pan, heat the Gardein until heated through and browned. Add to veggie mixture and simmer about a half hour.
    Season to taste.
    Serve with a nice, crusty bread and enjoy!

Per Serving:
    Cal 224
    Carbs 26
    Fat 7
    Protein 10
  • Jillv086622
    Jillv086622 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love to make black bean burgers! They're freakin delicious. My favorite is an Indian spiced version.

Here's my recipe: http://happygoodtime.wordpress.com/2011/11/16/indian-spiced-black-bean-burgers-with-yogurt-sauce/

Pictures and everything =)

That looks awesome! Thank you for sharing that site!