How to lose weight and tone (minus the gym)?

Options
I'm 5'5" and currently around 122lbs. I'm not athletic at all, and although I know I'm not huge, what weight I do have really shows and I can look a lot heavier than I am. I was wondering if anyone had advice to lose a bit of weight and tone up (without building muscle) and without having to hit the gym five times a week? It's not practical where I live and my willpower fails me. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• crocodiles
    Options
    Just noticed this is in the wrong section, apologies! I also don't know how to delete it though, so sorry about that.. :$
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    weight lifting and ballet body conditioning?
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    i can't afford the gym so bought myself the 30DS dvd (jillian michaels), some hand weights and a yoga mat. Cost a fraction of gym membership and you will see from various message boards on here the results of some people who use it are fantastic.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Why don't you want to build muscle? Muscle is a good thing. Building muscle doesn't mean you're going to look like a bodybuilder. You're a woman :smile: muscle is GOOD!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    How about 3 time a week?
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Cycling & walking are just as good for you. Lose your car keys & allow time to walk places......
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I like to take brisk walks up and down the hills where I live. It's a decent calorie burner and it tones up your lower body.
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I was pretty unfit until 6 months ago when I started to do something. I was obese (still am), I was flabby, very little tone at all.

Fortunately I was relatively fit in my younger years so I knew the importance of weight training (not just cardio) if I wanted to tone up as I lose weight.

And here's the secret: it doesn't take long to strength train. Nor does it bulk you up with muscle overnight! If you are a woman, it will probably be almost impossible to bulk up unless you do things to an absolute extreme.

My best advice (which is what I have done) is to keep it simple at first. As dirtbooksun suggested, buy some good quality hand weights. Preferably free weights so that you can add weight as you as you get stronger. All you need to start is 20 minutes, twice a week! You see, if you are doing things properly you will need plenty of rest to give your muscles the chance to get stronger (and tone up).

Read, google and research different exercises. For example, push ups to build up your shoulders, bent over rows to work your back muscles etc.

As for lower muscles (i.e legs), you may be able to get away without using weights but you may want to try squats, lunges and other exercises (using your own bodyweight) to help you tone those muscles.

Disclaimer: I ain't no PT, I just believe that little incremental changes add up to big things. Good luck!
  • crocodiles
    Options
    Why don't you want to build muscle? Muscle is a good thing. Building muscle doesn't mean you're going to look like a bodybuilder. You're a woman :smile: muscle is GOOD!

I know, I probably phrased that first bit badly; I guess I mean I'm aiming to end up looking slim rather than looking athletic. Also, cue embarrassment, I can't ride a bike!
  • Shannon_Nicole83
    Shannon_Nicole83 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I was also going to suggest Jillian's 30 Day Shred. It's about $9 at Walmart. And you don't really need weights, you can use anything in replacement (water bottles, cans of soup....). And it's intense and quick, about 20 minutes a day.