Are my numbers right?

Options
So I've been doing a lot of thinking since I am not losing any pounds...

My BMR is aprox 1900-2000. So, if I want to LOSE weight, say 2lbs a week, that means I need to BURN 1000 calories A DAY?

So, I put my settings on MFP that I want to lose 2lbs a week and am pretty active (I workout daily) and it says that I should eat 1880 to do so. Therefore, since I am dropping 200calories from my diet, I should exercise to burn 800 calories a day?

what if I ate 1600 a day, did strength four times a week and burned 600 calories a day in cardio? Because I knocked out 400 calories off my diet plus 600 from working out, I should lose 1000 calories a day still.

....right?

also, I decided to change my diet and wanted to know what some of you thought and if it sounded "clean"

Breakfast: 1 egg (70) 1 egg white (30), 2 cups of spinach (20), 1/2 cup of oatmeal (150) 1cup of light soy (60) and 1 cup of blueberries (90) =420 calories

Mid-morning snack: yogurt (100) 2 cups of baby carrots (100)=200 calories

Lunch: 2 slices of whole wheat (220) Sara lee oven roasted low sodium turkey (60) 2 cups of broccoli (40)=320 calories

Afternoon snack: banana (120) 1/4 cup of plain almonds (160)=290 calories

Dinner: 3oz chicken breast grilled (150) asparagus 12 stalks (50) applesauce (110)=310 calories

last snack: 1/4 cup of pineapple (80) and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese (110)=190

total calories =1730

I used a scale to measure my fruits, chicken and vegetables

Replies

• hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Really any way you want to create the deficit would work. Exercise in my opinion is great versus just cutting calories alone. Also building the muscle means you'll burn more when doing nothing. You have the right idea and your food sample looks great. If you have trouble adjust it.
  • hezzyfoofie
    hezzyfoofie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If your job isn't a physically active job I would put your activity as sedentary and follow the calories for that. Then input your actual activity (using a heart rate monitor for cardio based activities) to determine your actual burn and you can eat some or all of those calories as a bonus. If you're putting yourself as having a physically active job I think you would be overestimating your calories.
  • atsimon
    Options
    Food looks great. What kind of yogurt? Be careful, as it can be a huge source of sugars, thus accounting for many of the calories. I'd recommend Greek yogurt. It has more protein than regular yogurt, and a better ratio of carbs to proteins. You can do plain or vanilla, and add some all natural peanut butter or you can do some of the fruit flavored ones. Check the ingredients, as some use real fruit and others use not-so-natural ingredients. I love Fage's brand and Chobani.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would not use my exercise as a factor in setting activity level when setting up goals.. reason is you're not necessarily going to do the same workout all the time, etc. Use other day to day factors, like what kind of job you have. I sit at a desk so I put sedentary. And THEN enter your exercise at the end of each day.
  • BT1988
    BT1988 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If your job isn't a physically active job I would put your activity as sedentary and follow the calories for that. Then input your actual activity (using a heart rate monitor for cardio based activities) to determine your actual burn and you can eat some or all of those calories as a bonus. If you're putting yourself as having a physically active job I think you would be overestimating your calories.

I'm constantly on my feet....would that count as lightly active? I am always walking and I also walk around alot cause I use public transportation to get around (walk to trains).
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I think you're confused as to what BMR is. BMR is the energy your body needs just to BE. It's like if you were laying in bed all day you would need 1900ish calories to maintain your weight. Well you're not laying in bed all day. You're out and about. If you are very active as you note, your TDEE would be about 3100 calories. So to lose two pounds you'd have a net loss of 1000 calories, which can be gotten through eating or exercise. But if you're very active -- that exercise is mostly included in activity level I would think.

Read more and calculate your specific info at http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/.
  • BT1988
    Options
    I think you're confused as to what BMR is. BMR is the energy your body needs just to BE. It's like if you were laying in bed all day you would need 1900ish calories to maintain your weight. Well you're not laying in bed all day. You're out and about. If you are very active as you note, your TDEE would be about 3100 calories. So to lose two pounds you'd have a net loss of 1000 calories, which can be gotten through eating or exercise. But if you're very active -- that exercise is mostly included in activity level I would think.

Read more and calculate your specific info at http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/.

SO since I am walking around a lot and have a job (starbucks) that requires me to be on my feet all day and on top of exercising, I should be eating 3000 calories? I put down that I was active (in between lightly and very) and it says 1880calories a day

active requires a job such as mailman and someone on their feet...
  • BT1988
    Options

you have completely confused me. so what MFP tells me is not right? So, I would have to enter sedentary and THEN put in what I burned? And don't put on my settings on what I want to lose a week? I'm not sure I get you.

I know what BMR is, I figured BMR is what I need to MAINTAIN my weight, therefore, if I wanted to lose 2lbs, I get rid of 1000 calories...or there is another equation to find out how to maintain my weight.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

you have completely confused me. so what MFP tells me is not right? So, I would have to enter sedentary and THEN put in what I burned? And don't put on my settings on what I want to lose a week? I'm not sure I get you.

I know what BMR is, I figured BMR is what I need to MAINTAIN my weight, therefore, if I wanted to lose 2lbs, I get rid of 1000 calories...or there is another equation to find out how to maintain my weight.

All you have to do is input the information MFP asks for correctly. MFP then does the work for you and gives you a calorie intake to lose weight WITHOUT exercise. If you exercise, you can add that in under the "exercise" tab; then you should eat at least some of the extra calories you burn when exercising in order to fuel your body properly. This is the way MFP works - it gives you your daily calorie intake in order to lose your goal per week WITHOUT exercise.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Just set it up the way you believe and see what your results are.
  • veganbaum
    Options
    Oh - and BMR is NOT what you eat to maintain. Your BMR is what you would burn (theoretically) if you stayed in bed all day. Since most of us don't stay in bed all day, we burn more calories than that. In order to maintain, you need to eat whatever you actually burn in a day, which is more than your BMR. I believe the term is TDEE - total daily energy expenditure. At least that is my understanding. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I don't want to be misinformed, either.
  • BT1988
    Options

All you have to do is input the information MFP asks for correctly. MFP then does the work for you and gives you a calorie intake to lose weight WITHOUT exercise. If you exercise, you can add that in under the "exercise" tab; then you should eat at least some of the extra calories you burn when exercising in order to fuel your body properly. This is the way MFP works - it gives you your daily calorie intake in order to lose your goal per week WITHOUT exercise.

So when it asks my goal numbers of workouts and minutes should I leave that empty? To my understanding, its asking what I burned in exercise therefore its somewhat included...right? I am way new to this site. Because it gives me a goal to burn every week....wah. I just don't think I can eat more than 1900. It feels so much for me, like too much food. If I don't exercise, I normally eat only 1500. and I feel fine.
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Looks good. This idea is you take your BMI * your activity. So example my BMR is 1787 * 1.2 (sedentary) Since I am a student I don't work. This equated to my TDEE of 2144. I then take off what calories to achieve my weight loss goals. Now this can be soley through diet, or soley through exercise. I do both. I take away 500-750 calories daily. Depending on what foods/situations arise.

So on any given day, I eat 1400-1600 calories. I then also work out 4 days a week. At least 300-500 calories daily. I do not eat back my calories burned. Unless I "feel" the need to by listening to my body.

Do not take away from your BMR directly. Always multiply it by your daily activity level. Then take away your calories needed mathematically to achieve your goals.

I will say be carefiul with "wheat breads". Commercial wheat breads like Subways, Sara Lee, Great Value etc. Are nothing more than at best 75/25. 75 white and 25 wheat. Always get your wheats from a local bakery that is the 5 ingredient kind. The loafs should be ~2 lbs. Those are the healthy breads. But, if that commercial wheat is the only processed foods in your diet. I think that's small to eliminate. It just depends on your health diet goals.
  • veganbaum
    Options

So when it asks my goal numbers of workouts and minutes should I leave that empty? To my understanding, its asking what I burned in exercise therefore its somewhat included...right? I am way new to this site. Because it gives me a goal to burn every week....wah. I just don't think I can eat more than 1900. It feels so much for me, like too much food. If I don't exercise, I normally eat only 1500. and I feel fine.

Did you put in your numbers correctly? Everyone is given a different calorie goal, but 1900 a day for a two pound a week loss seems really high. I would just double check all your inputs. The fitness goal section, I believe, is just to set a goal for yourself to track. So if you say you are going to work out 5 days a week for 30 minutes a day, when you enter your exercise each day in the exercise tab it will apply to your goal and tell you how many minutes/days of your goal you have met so far. Inputting your actual exercise is what changes your calories. If you changed your fitness goal to zero, it wouldn't change your calories. I had to figure that one our when I first started - I put in different numbers to see if it changed my calories and it didn't, so it's just a goal to set for yourself and to have to motivate you.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Your goal workouts is just for your own use. It doesn't affect anything. Try changing the numbers and you will see that it doesn't affect your calorie goal. Exercise calories are added after you actually do the exercise.
  • BT1988
    Options
    I put the numbers right. I put down that I was lightly active since I am walking alot during the day. Therefore, it gave me 1880 to eat a day. I do workout everyday (one day off a week) so when I eat my 1880, workout to aim to burn 1000 calories, that means initially I ate at the end of the day only 880, right? And that's how it works? that's how I will be able to lose 2lbs a week...not eating 3000 a day then working out to burn 1000? I am sorry I am asking so many question. I just have had a hard time losing weight and I want to get it right so I can see results. I work out with a girl who started as teh same weight as me. She eats only 1600 calories a day and workouts 3 hours 4 times a week and runs crazy miles. She lost 90lbs in one year. I have been doing this for two years and only lost 30. its completely frustrating.
  • servilia
    Options
    I put the numbers right. I put down that I was lightly active since I am walking alot during the day. Therefore, it gave me 1880 to eat a day. I do workout everyday (one day off a week) so when I eat my 1880, workout to aim to burn 1000 calories, that means initially I ate at the end of the day only 880, right? And that's how it works? that's how I will be able to lose 2lbs a week...not eating 3000 a day then working out to burn 1000? I am sorry I am asking so many question. I just have had a hard time losing weight and I want to get it right so I can see results. I work out with a girl who started as teh same weight as me. She eats only 1600 calories a day and workouts 3 hours 4 times a week and runs crazy miles. She lost 90lbs in one year. I have been doing this for two years and only lost 30. its completely frustrating.

IF you input your goal of 2 lbs/week, then the 1880 already includes your 1000 deficit, so no you DON'T deduct 1000 from that - you eat 1880. Someone wrote earlier that that seems high for you but if you have a lot to lose (meaning you're fairly overweight) then your BMR is going to be higher too - the heavier you are, the higher your BMR. So it might be correct (and I looked through your past posts and saw you do have a lot to lose - sorry, when I need more info on a person to answer I sometimes go to their profile and past posts).
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It's really simple. Put in the numbers, log all your food and exercise, and it tells you how much to eat. Just do what it says.

If you said you want to lose 2 pounds a week then 1880 is ALREADY a deficit of 1000 calories. You eat your calorie goal PLUS whatever you work out.
  • veganbaum
    Options

At the end of the day, yes, your NET calories would be only 880. Your NET calories should be close to your daily goal of 1880, so you should eat at least 1/2 your calories back to fuel your body for all that extra energy it used. The way MFP works, if you ate 1880 every day, you should lose 2 pounds a week (though it can still vary from week to week). So when you exercise, you have to eat some extra to fuel your body so everything is getting the energy it needs to function and repair.
  • servilia
    Options

At the end of the day, yes, your NET calories would be only 880. Your NET calories should be close to your daily goal of 1880, so you should eat at least 1/2 your calories back to fuel your body for all that extra energy it used. The way MFP works, if you ate 1880 every day, you should lose 2 pounds a week (though it can still vary from week to week). So when you exercise, you have to eat some extra to fuel your body so everything is getting the energy it needs to function and repair.

No I think you're wrong. If she input her 2lb/week goal, then 1880 already includes her 1000 deficit. I know it seems high but she has a lot to lose so her BMR is going to be higher than average..AND she put active or lightly active, whereas most people use sedentary.