Struggling with ADDICTION!

Options
My name is Alyssa and I'm twenty three, I'm born and raised in Dublin, Ireland. I currently weigh about 225lbs and I feel so gutted that I let it get to this. I was looking in the mirror today and I couldn't believe how big I had gotten. First thing I did was go to the gym I only made it for an hour of cardio but it was better than nothing.
I've tried to loose weight a million times but I decided to give it one more try and if this doesn't work then I'll give it another try after that. I have a hard time fighting with food addiction, candy is the worst, especially when I'm bored.
Really I'm just looking for some mates that know what I'm going through and I wont have to walk this road alone. Add me as a friend if you like.

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Good Luck Alyssa! You've come to the right place. This site has really helped me get a handle on how much food I can eat and I do still treat myself from time to time :) I'll send you a friend request!
  • BonMetz
    BonMetz Posts: 102
    Options
    you can add me!!!:smile: It can be tough for sure but that is what MFP friends are for. I just started myself last week and tomorrow is my first weigh in....wish me luck
  • Becxox
    Becxox Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi Alyssa, Im sorry to hear about your struggle. Good luck with your success and know that we are all here for the same reason :)
  • metisgirl
    metisgirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Good luck girl and you can add me as friend...I just signed up as well and my issue is food addiction.....
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Best of luck Alyssa. I was in your shoes in July. I weight upward of 200 lbs, and hated myself for letting it get so bad. In the last 4.5 months, I have lost 30 lbs. You can do it as well. You can add me as a friend if you want.
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Believe you me, I understand. I was "taking a trip down memory lane" with my mother today and was brought back to my freshman year in college, when I gained 80 pounds in 9 months due to severe depression. I used to do crazy things with food because I just couldn't stop eating. If you look up "yo-yo dieter" in the dictionary, there is a big photo of me! But with the help of others, we can get through. You have definitely come to the right place, people are here to help. And it will help you see exactly what you need to do to lose, and help keep you accountable. An amazing tool, and amazing people, I have found. My heart goes out to you during your journey, and we can do it together.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    1 hour is a lot of cardio! Give yourself some credit ;)
  • ACMEFit
    ACMEFit Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! I am a fitness and nutrition professional and I can tell you that a lot of my clients struggle just like you. Sugar has been proven, through brain scans, to be equally addictive as cocaine in some people. Luckily there are some healthy alternatives to sugar (stevia, erithritol, xylitol) to help get you over the hump, but bottom line is you need to beat the addiction. This website offers a ton of support, so stick with it, post, and know that you are in control, not your addiction!
  • Princesslenox
    Princesslenox Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with the same issue. it is definitley hard but not impossible especially if you have support. I love food i used too eat all the time and then get so upset with myself for over eating it was a vicious cycle. However i had a dream that i was so disgusted with myself and I couldn't stop crying. When i woke up i knew it was time for a change, and i did! one day at a time. It gets easier as time goes by... You can do it! This is an excellent tool it helped me to change my eating habits, and it will help you as well.
  • wildcata77
    Options

ITA! Great job today. I fully believe I have a food addiction, or at the very least a complicated relationship with food. I'm trying to learn that I can still enjoy it but that there is nothing I MUST have. I plan on a long and slow weight loss...I'm not trying to lose it all by Jan, or even next summer. It took 10 years for it to get here, so if it takes 1-2 years to come off that's fine!

Good luck to you.
  • Pixie110
    Options
    I feel your pain I earned every pound on my body by overeating, you can add me if you want!:happy:
  • bellanena
    Options
    I feel your pain also girl! I consider myself addicted to eating too. Why do we eat when we're upset? To only feel worst after??
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Glad you found this site. It is amazing. A friend put me onto the site and I have learned so much. It is like I told her, I have dieted for forty years and this is the first time I actually know what I am doing thanks to MFP. I wish you well on your journey.

We vacationed in Dublin, Ireland about 10 years ago. It is a beautiful place. We still talk about how clean every thing is there. We did upset a couple of locals when we first got there because we didn't know what que meant when we were hailing a cab! Once we found out, we followed it to a tee. It was ignorance on our part! We still laugh about it but we had a wonderful time. We hope to go back some time in the future.
  • RinaTommasini
    RinaTommasini Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Just remember, take baby steps and before you know it you will have lost a pound (or more).
    I had given up smoking for 4,5 years and packed on the weight. Gained 44 Lbs and was so miserable. 18 months ago, I decided to change the way I eat (a lifestyle change) and have lost 22Lbs but it took me 18 months.
    When I go off the rails and overindulge, the next day I just view as a new day and start all over again.
    It's hard, but eventually there is some good pay back.
    I feel so inspired by you having done an hours worth of exercise - FANTASTIC!!!!. Because I work in an office 5 days in a row, I find it really hard to find time to do exercise.
    Good luck and KNOW that you can do it!
    Rina
  • ninamm3
    ninamm3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I understand the pain of overcoming food addiction. I've learned alot over the last 11 months and have lost almost 40 pounds. Feel free to add me. Oh, and I started writing a blog a couple months ago to share my journey and encourage others. If you want, you can check it out too www.runningsforthebirds.blogspot.com :smile:
  • KenziesMomma11
    KenziesMomma11 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

Agreed, an hour of cardio is AWESOME!

Feel free to add me if you like.
  • M3CH4N1C
    M3CH4N1C Posts: 157
    Options
    My name is Alyssa and I'm twenty three, I'm born and raised in Dublin, Ireland. I currently weigh about 225lbs and I feel so gutted that I let it get to this. I was looking in the mirror today and I couldn't believe how big I had gotten. First thing I did was go to the gym I only made it for an hour of cardio but it was better than nothing.
    I've tried to loose weight a million times but I decided to give it one more try and if this doesn't work then I'll give it another try after that. I have a hard time fighting with food addiction, candy is the worst, especially when I'm bored.
    Really I'm just looking for some mates that know what I'm going through and I wont have to walk this road alone. Add me as a friend if you like.

“Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.” George Carlin quote on addiction.

- I feel that addiction is a manifestation of something else that is causing stress, either obvious or unknown. Could be childhood stress, work related stress, relationship stress, etc. Find out what is causing the stress to manifest and deal with it, harness it, and turn it into a positive. Turn it into a running addiction, turn it into a healthy hobby or recreation. Because if you don't deal with the stress in a healthy way and you do lose the weight, kick the eating addiction, forget about what was causing the stress to begin with, it will manifest into another addiction like drugs or worse, an eating habit all over again that results in even more weight gain/health issues. You should make sure to get the monkey off your back and run the circus out of town. Make it a complete lifestyle change and don't ever look back.