Food Scale Suggestions

Options
I want to get a food scale to help me learn portion control. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks!
:happy:

Replies

• sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    any digital would do., don't fall into marketing stuff and pay tons of $$ for unnecessary stuff. Most around $15-20 digital do the work....target, walmart etc
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I have a Perfect Portions digital scale. I LOVE it. It comes with a booklet that has tons of foods pre-programmed into it and also has memory to where you can store your own foods if it's not in the database already, then when you actually weigh your food it has a display that shows all the nutrition facts for that particular food. You can also "build" entire meals. It was around $50 at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, but I'm sure you could find it elsewhere for cheaper. A friend of mine actually got it on sale for $30 at BBB a few weeks after I bought mine. :ohwell:
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    Just things I really like about mine:

I like digital better so my measurements can be exact.
    I like that it weighs in grams because most serving sizes are calculated in grams.
    The tare feature (being able to place a bowl in the scale and reset the scale to zero) is very handy.
    I actually use mine for weighing recipes so I can break them down into serving sizes by weight so having a 4+ pound weight limit is good for this.
    I like being able to put whatever plate/bowl I happen to be using on the scale instead of using a built in one.

Features that I thought would be awesome and I would surely use all the time but actually never EVER use:

-Computes calories, calories from fat, carbohydrates, protein, fat, saturated fat, fiber, sugars, cholesterol, and sodium (I get this info when I input the foods in MFP.)
    -Includes information for 1999 foods; user can easily create and store up to 99 customizable food code entries (
    Again, I get this info when I input the foods in MFP.)
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond for around $20, and I absolutely love it! No need to spend massive amounts of money :D
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I'm liking my plain janer, not even digital scale. it has ounces & grams which is handy. My friend wants to get me a digital for Chr'mas, but I'm thinking it may make me too anal. LOL I know how I am with those "point" numbers! I actually started out with a mail scale! It worked fine for the basics!
  • Lemonaiding
    Lemonaiding Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Cook's Illustrated suggests OXO. I purchased one a few years back and use it all the time. A very accurate scale. Here's a link.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Stainless-Pull-Out-Display/dp/B000WJMTNA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322014443&sr=8-1
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I think we have the same one! lol

I like that it weighs in grams because most serving sizes are calculated in grams.
    The tare feature (being able to place a bowl in the scale and reset the scale to zero) is very handy.
    I actually use mine for weighing recipes so I can break them down into serving sizes by weight so having a 4+ pound weight limit is good for this.
    I like being able to put whatever plate/bowl I happen to be using on the scale instead of using a built in one.

Features that I thought would be awesome and I would surely use all the time but actually never EVER use:

-Computes calories, calories from fat, carbohydrates, protein, fat, saturated fat, fiber, sugars, cholesterol, and sodium (I get this info when I input the foods in MFP.)
    -Includes information for 1999 foods; user can easily create and store up to 99 customizable food code entries (
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options

hi
    what is the brand of the food scale you're using? im very interested in this.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I think the price might have been some sort of mistake, but I recently bought an OXO softworks scale for $7 at Target and have found it to be both accurate and convenient. The display part pulls out in case the bowl you're weighing on is large - great for when I'm baking or making stew or something. Just keep adding and taring!
  • dodger7977
    dodger7977 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I use the biggest loser scale. It can hold 6 lbs if need be and is easy to use. It doesn't do anything super fancy, but I really like it.
    I got it at bbb for under 20 dollars. :)
  • wright2396
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help! You are great!
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options

hi
    what is the brand of the food scale you're using? im very interested in this.

Sorry I didn't see this! This is the one I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Kitrics-Digital-Nutrition-Scale-Silver/dp/B000U67EI0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322671628&sr=8-1
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i have a weight watchers digital scale which was a gift from my sister. it is brilliant!