Recipe Swap Week 10

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Recipe swap is a fun group where every week two recipes are shared by our members to be cooked by everyone else in the group!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/396484-recipe-swap-week-9
If you make a recipe from week 9, please post your review of it on that post.

THIS WEEK riley711 AND inskydiamonds ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR SHARING RECIPES FOR THE REST OF THE GROUP TO MAKE.

Hopefully the recipes are posted today or tomorrow.

1. Sign up by making a post in this thread and I will add you to the member list.
2. Every week there will be TWO recipes/meals submitted by two members. Each member of the community should make the recipe and post their opinions about the recipe/meal, changes they may have made, etc.
3. Each week there will be a new recipe swap post on the MFP boards. This post will be the place that the members responsible for the recipes for the week will post them as well as the place where you should comment about the recipes/meals you cooked. If you make any substitutions or other changes in the recipe, tell us that as well. And by all means, if you take pictures and want to share them, do!

For more information and for the recipes from last week and the member list, check out here: https://docs.google.com/a/u.pacific.edu/document/d/1fqBAaFmtHqOq76VlmyASTE8LX-FnUnYWCYY7QTu6q1o/edit?hl=en_US

Replies

• inskydiamonds
    Options
    Turkey and Mushroom Sloppy Joes

Ingredients
    1 tbsp olive oil
    12 oz ground turkey
    16 oz sliced mushrooms
    1 cup onion, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 cup tomato paste
    2 tbsp red wine vinegar
    2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    1 tbsp molasses
    1/4 tsp kosher salt
    3/4 tsp ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp Sriacha sauce
    4 hamburger buns

Directions

1. Heat a skillet over medium-heat. Add oil and swirl to coat. Add the turkey, cooking for 4 minutes, until brown. Stir to crumble.

2. While the meat cooks, place the mushrooms in a food processor. Pulse 10 times, or until finely chopped. Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic to the pan with the turkey. Cook for 3 minutes, until the onion is tender. Add the tomato paste, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, molasses, and salt. Cook for 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender and the liquid has began to evaporate.

3. Stir in the ground black pepper and Sriacha. Spoon 1/4 of the meat mixture onto each bun.

* makes 4 sloppy joes
    * 374 calories per joe
    * I've made them before and I've blogged about it here: http://lawstudentscookbook.wordpress.com/2011/11/10/turkey-and-mushroom-sloppy-joes-and-a-review/
  • Toenges1
    Toenges1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Ohh..this is one I could really get into - because my kids will eat it! THANKS!
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    bump
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    bump
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Cabbage with Smoked Sausage

A low calorie, hearty, on-dish meal that is sure to please!! This is also, a nice alternative to soup or stew. One of my favorite recipes.

Ingredients:

• 3 heads of cabbage
    • 2 vidalia (or yellow) onions
    • 2 14 oz packages of Ekrich Smoked Beef Sausage
    • 1 container Pacific Natural Foods - Organic Free Range Low Sodium Chicken Broth
    • 2 TBLS of oil (bacon grease, olive oil, or butter)

Directions:

I prefer to have all ingredients ready before I actually start cooking, so this is what I do:

1. Cut up sausage into bite-sized pieces (I cut sausages in half, length-wise, then do it again for each half so that I can have sausage in every fork/spoonful). Put in bowl, and set aside

2. Cut each onion into quarters, then thinly slice each quarter. Put in bowl and set aside.

3. Core each head of cabbage, cut each head in half, then cube each half (or just cut it up the way you normally would; I happen to like smaller, square inch pieces)

4. In a large stock pot, pour in chicken broth, then add oil, a handful of onions, your favorite seasonings (I use McCormick Garlic and Onion Medley, a pinch of ground red pepper, a packet of goya jamon ham flavored seasoning, and a few shakes of Mrs. Dash). Cover and bring to boil.

5. Once the chicken broth/seasoning mixture has boiled, add all the cut up sausage. Cover, and continue boiling for 7 – 10 minutes.

6. Begin layering cabbage, onions and a few shakes of season all or your favorite seasoning. Cover and cook for 5 – 7 minutes, then stir. Dig down deep to thoroughly distribute the sausage and broth. Repeat this step until all the sausage and onions have been added. Make sure that the sausage and broth are nicely distributed so you get sausage in every fork/spoonful.

7. Continue cooking until the cabbage reaches your preferred level of doneness. Some like their cabbage soft or mushy, while others like theirs crunchy.

8. Once cabbage reaches your preferred level of doneness, remove from heat, pour through a strainer/colander to remove liquid and prevent further cooking, then transfer contents into a large bowl for serving and storage.

Serves 12; 285 calories per serving
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Cabbage with Smoked Sausage

A low calorie, hearty, on-dish meal that is sure to please!! This is also, a nice alternative to soup or stew. One of my favorite recipes.

Ingredients:

• 3 heads of cabbage
    • 2 vidalia (or yellow) onions
    • 2 14 oz packages of Ekrich Smoked Beef Sausage
    • 1 container Pacific Natural Foods - Organic Free Range Low Sodium Chicken Broth
    • 2 TBLS of oil (bacon grease, olive oil, or butter)

Directions:

I prefer to have all ingredients ready before I actually start cooking, so this is what I do:

1. Cut up sausage into bite-sized pieces (I cut sausages in half, length-wise, then do it again for each half so that I can have sausage in every fork/spoonful). Put in bowl, and set aside

2. Cut each onion into quarters, then thinly slice each quarter. Put in bowl and set aside.

3. Core each head of cabbage, cut each head in half, then cube each half (or just cut it up the way you normally would; I happen to like smaller, square inch pieces)

4. In a large stock pot, pour in chicken broth, then add oil, a handful of onions, your favorite seasonings (I use McCormick Garlic and Onion Medley, a pinch of ground red pepper, a packet of goya jamon ham flavored seasoning, and a few shakes of Mrs. Dash). Cover and bring to boil.

5. Once the chicken broth/seasoning mixture has boiled, add all the cut up sausage. Cover, and continue boiling for 7 – 10 minutes.

6. Begin layering cabbage, onions and a few shakes of season all or your favorite seasoning. Cover and cook for 5 – 7 minutes, then stir. Dig down deep to thoroughly distribute the sausage and broth. Repeat this step until all the sausage and onions have been added. Make sure that the sausage and broth are nicely distributed so you get sausage in every fork/spoonful.

7. Continue cooking until the cabbage reaches your preferred level of doneness. Some like their cabbage soft or mushy, while others like theirs crunchy.

8. Once cabbage reaches your preferred level of doneness, remove from heat, pour through a strainer/colander to remove liquid and prevent further cooking, then transfer contents into a large bowl for serving and storage.

Serves 12; 285 calories per serving

Sounds great!
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Bump new thread
  • VanessaFaith
    VanessaFaith Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Want to get in on this... I will post recipes later on today.
  • jasonnjamer
    jasonnjamer Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Southwestern chicken

2 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp chilli powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp paprika
    4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
    2 tsp lime juice

In a small bowl combine garlic powder, chilli powder, salt, and paprika. rub over both sides of chicken. large skillet coat with non stick cooking spray. brown chicken both sides; drizzle with lime juice. cover and cook 5-7 minutes until juices run clear.

4 ounces= 1 serving
    130 calories 3g fat
  • jasonnjamer
    jasonnjamer Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Banana Cake

1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
    2-3 very ripe mashed bananas
    1 tsp baking soda

make cake mix as directed on box. mash the bananas with the baking soda and stir in the cake mix batter. pour into greased 9x13 inch pan. preheat oven to 350. bake for about 35-40 min.

makes 24 servings
    102 calories 2.5g fat per serving

you can add your own frosting or even fat free cool whip. but tastes amazing without.
  • MaryIM
    MaryIM Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fun! I would like to join the group ... am always looking for new recipes to try.
  • Jenninedinburgh
    Jenninedinburgh Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Banana Cake

1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
    2-3 very ripe mashed bananas
    1 tsp baking soda

make cake mix as directed on box. mash the bananas with the baking soda and stir in the cake mix batter. pour into greased 9x13 inch pan. preheat oven to 350. bake for about 35-40 min.

makes 24 servings
    102 calories 2.5g fat per serving

you can add your own frosting or even fat free cool whip. but tastes amazing without.

OMG - totally easy and I would love this!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Want to get in on this... I will post recipes later on today.

Actually, every week two people post recipes so it doesn't get overloaded. If you want to be added to the rotation though, I can do that.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Sounds like fun! I would like to join the group ... am always looking for new recipes to try.

adding :)
  • sweetsexy43
    sweetsexy43 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi..i would like to be added to the group if possible..i like swapping and obtaining new recipes
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Hi..i would like to be added to the group if possible..i like swapping and obtaining new recipes

Welcome!
  • mimi_balla618
    mimi_balla618 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Both recipes for the week sound delicious. Not sure I'll have a chance to make them with Turkey Day around the corner. I hope someone posts a pic of the recipes and shares how they are! I've never cooked cabbage before so I want to try that recipe!
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    The cabbage recipe sounds interesting - I wonder how hard it is to cook, as I've never done that :-P
    Thanks for the ideas this week! I'll have to try chopping my turkey (as we don't have a grinder but we have lots of leftover turkey) instead for the burgers.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    The cabbage recipe sounds interesting - I wonder how hard it is to cook, as I've never done that :-P
    Thanks for the ideas this week! I'll have to try chopping my turkey (as we don't have a grinder but we have lots of leftover turkey) instead for the burgers.

I didn't even think of that! The sloppy joe's would actually be perfect for leftover Thanksgiving turkey, shredded or something.
  • ckclontz
    Options
    Turkey and Mushroom Sloppy Joes

* I've made them before and I've blogged about it here: http://lawstudentscookbook.wordpress.com/2011/11/10/turkey-and-mushroom-sloppy-joes-and-a-review/

These sound amazing, and I'm *so* doing this with my leftover turkey - I'll grind it myself and just let it simmer a while longer so it absorbs those wonderful flavors! :)