Stressed Law Student

Options
Hi everyone!

I've been a member of MFP for a while, but only started using it consistently about a month ago. I used the phone app in the beginning, and I'm just now discovering the great online tools! I'm in my final year of school and I'm determined to be fit and healthy in time for graduation (end of May). School has done a number on my body. I let stress get the best of me and packed on a lot of weight. I hope to be back at my pre-school weight in time to buy a cute dress for all the graduation parties and events that will be planned :)

I'm a little nervous about continuing to eat well and exercise now that Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming up. Plus, I have finals sandwiched between them both, which last semester meant three meals a day of Pop Tarts while holed up in the library. Not this time! Any other students facing end-of-semester panic?

Good luck to everyone with their goals!

Replies

• sarah_boombah
    sarah_boombah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    As a former law student, I wish you all the best! The stress is worth it in the end :)
  • Amanda_Jean87
    Amanda_Jean87 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    OMG yes! I'm counselor ed. grad student and I def feel the end of the semester panic. I'm just taking it one day at a time though, winter break is almost here :)
  • valh12
    valh12 Posts: 13
    Options
    hey hey!! you are not the only one!! i am trying to get fit for my graduation coming up in may as well. I will be getting a BA in social control, and congrats to you on finishing law school soon!! if its ok with you, i would like to add you as a friend.. always good to have supporters!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I have a week of classes left after Thanksgiving, and then my law school exams are spread over two weeks. Law school sucks. I totally fell off track the past month, but am determined to eat healthfully throughout exams by having bulk foods prepared and in the fridge. I would take winter break to get into a routine of healthy eating an exercise that you can maintain through your last semester to lose that weight. I'm determined to get to goal by next summer as well. I have to buy new professional clothes then, and I want them to be at my goal weight!
  • nvouvalis
    Options
    I just wanted to say that I know how you feel, law school is bad for your overall health (I'm only slightly kidding here!). I gained maybe ten pounds in law school, and then another five over the course of two states of bar exams. I'm only just now trying to lose it.

When I was studying for the Bar, I got stressed out at all the time it took me to prepare good meals and THEN go and exercise. But I had to eat, so I ended up cutting out the exercise. Unfortunately, it seemed to me that exercise was a better way to just release some of the tension, get me out of the house (or library in your case), and get me ready for another round of studying. When I cooked, I would bring my books into the kitchen with me... I felt like I wasn't getting much of a break. And breaks are important!

So if you can cook and freeze for the week, and still get some exercise in, I highly recommend it. I wish I'd done that during Bar prep! It sounds like a great plan! And trust me when I say that going for that half an hour jog will NOT put you behind the next person on the grading curve. Consistent studying and the work you've put in throughout the semester is going to land you in whatever grade range you're going to land in... a few hours over the course of your study time taken out for exercise isn't going to make you miss out on the key to finishing first in your class on that exam :)
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I got through law school by walking away my stress. Every morning, I walked. It kept me sane! Good luck to you and just take it one day at a time! You can do it!
  • MiaOrange
    MiaOrange Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I am a 3rd year medical student. I also have finals for 2 weeks before Christmas break. I am also a single mom of 2 kids 10/12 who are growing so fast and they are skinny and need to gain, I'm overwt and need to lose. Blah!

Logging into MFP has been really helping me say, "ok, stop eating for the day." I don't think the stress helps either.

Just hang in there. I found when I ate healthy my grades were really good. If you're like me though, after all these yrs of school and the end of a term, it is tiring. I have a guinea pig as a pet and it helps both of us to rinse lettuce and veggies and leave them in the drying rack to eat all day and leave fruit cut on the cutting board. The habit follows me to school, I just bag the stuff up. I'm not perfect though, I often nibble on the yummy food I make for the kids.

...but I know what you mean if you're studying and just have some snack. Being hungry and eating it all, even if it's poptarts.

Another issue, people keep telling me you're so busy in school, your weight is the last thing you need to worry about right now. I disagree, but it sometimes makes me blow my food plan for a couple of days.
  • MiaOrange
    MiaOrange Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I got through law school by walking away my stress. Every morning, I walked. It kept me sane! Good luck to you and just take it one day at a time! You can do it!

Yeah, this too...except I exercise inside while carrying my notes or use an empty classroom and read my notes while walking around the room. I kill two birds with one stone; studying gets done and I'm focused for the time period and the exercise gets done!:smile:
  • Theresa0808
    Options
    I can feel your stress! I am a 1st year social work student...I returned this year after 8 years of being out of school. I am trying to make time for workouts because they keep me sane as well.
    Finals are coming up and 2 papers to write makes for an interesting balance especially with my 2.5 year old son!
    Thankfully my husband is super supportive!
    Its nice to find people with things in common...I need some motivation right about now!