how do you hint for christmas presents from your partner?

Options
mickipedia
mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
Well, I've decided what I want for christmas from my boyfriend.. the only thing is I want to 'hint' more or less what I want but I'm not sure how to get my point across without it seeming obvious (as he's one of those blokes who won't do something if he didn't think of it himself)

Any ideas? Or any entertaining stories about how you have hinted in the past?

xxxxx

Replies

• Vaanja
    Vaanja Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Haha, I've yet to meet the man who can take a hint (no offense to you elusive, psychic Y-chromosome holders out there).

I straight-out tell my husband, I get what I want when it's feasible, and he doesn't go through the stress of having to guess what I would really like.
  • killerkat89
    killerkat89 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would just talk about how much you like the gift. This is how i got my new IPhone (thats in the mail as we "speak." When my old one broke i would talk about missing it and how useful it is. When my Husbad asked me if i wanted a new one i was like i would love a new one but thats a little expensive. But he got it in his head that i needed it. Hope that helps or works for you. Have a good day and Happy Thanksgiving
  • JDNOX
    JDNOX Posts: 619
    Options
    Haha, I've yet to meet the man who can take a hint (no offense to you elusive, psychic Y-chromosome holders out there).

I straight-out tell my husband, I get what I want when it's feasible, and he doesn't go through the stress of having to guess what I would really like.

I agree I can not take a hint to save my butt. Just tell them or you will end up with a pet rock or something.
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    This year I made a list, like a little kid. I went to different websites and copied and pasted the links to a word document. Some are small things like socks, and some are diamond rings. Hey, can't blame me for trying. I gave my boyfriend so many options so I will still be surprised on Christmas morning.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Guess I am one of the freaks who actually takes hints and those not intended as hints. If it is something from a catalog or magazine, just happen to be looking at it while your together and say wow this is nice, I would like to have that. You may also try asking him what he would like and hope he asks for suggestions.
  • lorna1002
    lorna1002 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Good luck! They rarely get the hint, just get a friend to tell them or something like that.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I don't "hint", I just straight tell him. :) Anyway, we won't do individual gifts this year... We're going to buy a crockpot! Money well-spent.
  • spottedlee
    Options
    Good luck! They rarely get the hint, just get a friend to tell them or something like that.
    Second!
  • softsculptor
    Options
    I unintentionally hinted by getting audibly frustrated with my camera one day... :D
  • mickipedia
    Options
    all very good ideas.. i think i know what he has in mind but he has a tendency to not follow through with things.. hmmm... MEN!!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Every year, Itell my wife and daughters the same thing. I like La Gloria Cubana Cigars and Knob Creek Bourbon. Every year I get some cute impractical gift from each of them, because they "don't want to get the same old thing every year".

Problem is, if I want or need something, I usually just go out and buy it, so I really do want the cigars and bourbon. Got the same request this year, "What do you want for Christmas, besides cigars and bourbon?"

So, I found some music on Amazon.com and some other items from other websites. I took a screen shot of each item and brought them to my wife. With each one, I placed it on the table and said "I want THIS CD/DVD. Not a CD/DVD from this artist. This EXACT CD/DVD. If you can't find them, I want Large Ring Cigars and good bourbon."

So, we'll see. But I'll probably get a gift certificate from some trendy Restaurant across town, 30 miles away. Or a gift certificate for a pedicure. BBq Tools. F'ckin' Red Sweatshirt with Santa On it (Riding a Harley).

Doesn't matter. I already stocked the Man Cave with La Gloria Cubana Cigars and Single Barrel Bourbons. I really just like having them all over at the same time.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    If my wife is out and see's something she really likes for herself. She buys it. Usually brings it home and says, "Want to see what you got me for Christmas? Or do you want to be surprised?"

It's her world. I'm just passing through it.
  • mickipedia
    Options
    If my wife is out and see's something she really likes for herself. She buys it. Usually brings it home and says, "Want to see what you got me for Christmas? Or do you want to be surprised?"

It's her world. I'm just passing through it.

i like this method :D
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I say "I want this X"

Hint done.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options

I told mine to ask a certain friend... he didn't like that answer! I'm totally going to end up with another stupid DVD this year. :P
  • pinktink88
    Options
    lol same as above!!! just say i want this
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I've tried hints and even pointing out items at a store, but the most reliable is to email him a list! I have to be careful though, because he often gets me everything on the list, rather than choosing a few items. I also have to be very specific. I can't just list perfume, it has to have the brand, size and where to get it.:happy:
    He knows never to get appliances, household goods or anything work related.:noway:
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I really don't want anything for Christmas. I have everything that I need and/or want. If I wanted something, I'd go out and buy it myself. I have little kids so it's all about them and making memories for them.
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Well, I've decided what I want for christmas from my boyfriend..

xxxxx

See, this is where we are polar opposites. :) I have a strict rule in my family that if you hint for it or ask for it, you won't get it. Maybe I am old fashioned, but I think the true gift isn't the merchandise. It's that the other person takes the time to think about what you might want, then goes and gets it for you. Asking for it just seems cold to me. Something just feels wrong about giving someone a piece of paper and saying "go buy this for me." As sappy as it sounds, I am honored that the person even thought enough about me to give me a gift. If I don't like it or it doesn't fit doesn't change my appreciation one bit.

Example: I have been married for 20+ years. From day 1, my inlaws have accepted me as a full member of the family. At Christmas, there is just as much thought put into my gifts as the gifts to their actual children (and if you are counting, just as many gifts also). To me, that's the true gift..that they have accepted me into the family...not the merchandise in the box.

I spend a great deal of time each year on gifts for my wife. Not the least of which is the fact that I actually enter a mall and shop for gifts. The act of entering one of those godforsaken hell holes shows the extent of my love right there. :) Way more than the stuff in the box!

Seriously, though, if we are with our partners or children enough throughout the year, we should probably know them well enough to pick out a gift. I know I get odd looks when I say it, but Christmas truly isn't about the stuff in the box for me. It's about the fact that the box even exists.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    i just tell him what i want. i already got my christmas present last week - toshiba thrive 32gb tablet & i LOVE it