Negative Calories

izzyrut
izzyrut Posts: 25
edited November 2023 in Food and Nutrition
Has anyone heard of the negative calorie diet? What do you think about the whole thing?

Replies

• izzyrut
    Has anyone heard of the negative calorie diet? What do you think about the whole thing?
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    negative calories are when you eat an orange for example that costs you 50 calories and once eaten it burns its own calories plus 25 more. those are called negative calories. i would speculate that possibly its a diet high in carbs: fruits, vegetables. whenever i am getting close to my calories for the day and i am hungry i eat a salad or celery or something of that nature. your body will utilize the food as fuel.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    exactly right. Celery, carrots, apples etc, fruit and veggies that are high in fiber take more calories to burn than they contain. That is why if you go on a fruit and veggie fast for a week you can drop quite a few lbs in a week. The problem is these foods don't keep you full for long and don't contain any protein and if you are using all your energy to burn these foods up you won't have much left for exercise.

I do the same as pam when the day ends and my cals are mostly eatten and I am hungry I grab an apple and some water because I know I will get a bit of food in my tummy and my body won't retaliate later!
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    "Celery, carrots, apples etc, fruit and veggies that are high in fiber take more calories to burn than they contain."

Please explain: It sounds like the food gives (ie:) 50 Cal, but I need to burn 75 to work them off?

Maybe I'm just dense. :) It would be great to know there was something that could be eaten when near the calorie limit. Esp high in fibre, since that is one of my focuses as well.
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Probably a dumb question, but does it matter if the veggies are raw or cooked? In other words how much does the act of crunching a raw vegetable count into the negative calorie count?

PS: I know I'm a bit weird, but I LOVE cooked carrots - more than raw.
  • hjcopeland
    hjcopeland Posts: 53 Member
    Razboo,

The idea is it takes 75 calories for your food to digest the 50 calorie apple. Though I don't think this is necessarily true of apples (or many other foods for that matter), and doubt that there is ever that much of a "spread".

Here is a list of foods that supposedly fit the bill.

http://www.weightlossforall.com/negative-calorie-foods-list.htm

Note that most of them are foods that you would rarely eat on their own, and you probably couldn't eat from this list exclusively for any amount of time anyway.

It always comes back to diet and exercise. There are no shortcuts!
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    I get it.

That's a good site, thanks for the link. Some of those items are things I would eat alone, for example, tomatoes. I eat those like apples.

So, lets say there was no actual 'spread' between calories gained and burned, and it's a break-even. Does it mean I would list them on my food diary as 0 calories?
  • izzyrut
    I have been researching this diet, and though i have not gone and ourchased the actuall diet book, i have found information on numerous websites that all makes sense.I am giving this diet a go.Trying to stick to negative calorie foods, while still having steamed fish for tea.It is working great.And i do still have energy to exercise.
    Yes it does make a difference cooking the foods...the more you cook them, the more the fibre and other things are released from the food, this making the food easier to digest, so your body does not need to burn as much calories in order to digest the food.
    Has anyone given this negative diet a go?
    I would love to hear some feedback.
This discussion has been closed.