Being out of Shape

Options
I was just curious to know peoples thoughts or opinion on this subject.....

How would you feel about having someone out of shape be your personal trainer? This is a common theme at my gym... I would say 4 out 10 trainers are not in shape.

I know just because you're out of shape doesn't mean they're not properly trained and have the knowledge, but personally I don't think it's very inspiring or motivating .

Replies

• Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I guess if you could see the people that they have trained, it would be more motivating. :)
  • leahsevilla
    leahsevilla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I need the motivation to be right there in front of me. If they're not taking their own advice...then it's not going to make me want to take it. I've dealt with that with nutritionists before andddd for me? I need a fit trainer that can do it right alongside me. Maybe I'm shallow.. ha
  • 2012Kristin
    2012Kristin Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I think so too.

I agree that they may have all the knowledge on the subject, but when you don't see a fit person in front of you it is definitely less inspiring.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    there is zero chance i would want an out of shape personal trainer.
  • betzeross
    betzeross Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about doctors. Practice what you preach! Fit trainer all the way.
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    why would a gym hire trainers that are not fit. I think I would change gyms...not sending a very good message.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I've had overweight doctors tell me to lose weight, and that didn't bother me... so I doubt that an overweight or out of shape trainer would bother me, either.

We are each on our own journeys!
  • Strobins05
    Options
    You get what your money pay for. There are PT that are mobile that will come to you and work with you. Don't settle for what you do not want. And COMMUNICATION is key. Be certain PT's offer you a chance to see if THEY are what you are looking for, good luck.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Would you go to a dentist who had bad teeth? Id want a professional who knew what he/she were talking about.........again, its just my opinion.........LLoyd
  • babyblue1974
    Options
    I had an instructor who was on a weight loss journey like me and she was teaching the step class. She couldnt keep up to the music and do fun choreography because she was struggling. The worst part was she was yelling at us to try and get to work and hurry up or we will have to do this and that to work more. I was so ticked off I left the class.

Having a fit and inspiring person who is doing the class right along with me is motivating, inspiring and helps me to have a better attitude. I respect the fact that people want to change their lives but I cant be so diplomatic when I am dying for air in a step class that isnt just difficult but boring because the teacher cant manuver herself. If it was a personal trainer I definitely would choose someone fit. it is a kind of mentoring relationship I think so the inspiration is there
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I haven't had that experience, but I did once attend a Tae Kwon Do class where the second degree blackbelt instructor was winded just explaining the drills and couldn't kick higher than his own knees... I never went again.
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I think it would be fine with me. It would make me feel like the person could relate more to my how I feel
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    It's a lifestyle choice, if they have the knowledge to make you fitter and healthier and you want to be fitter and healthier then I don't think that's a problem... just because they know how doesn't mean they have to live by those scruples (same applies to overweight doctors telling you to slim down) as far as I'm concerned it's just looking for an excuse to not do as well as you can do if you start citing these as issues (and no this isn't attack at your personally but an observation on people as a whole.. a lot of people will project their own failure or shortcomings on any target they can find, it's natural)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Maybe if I know they are (and have been) working on their weight loss and fitness... otherwise there's no way. The whole time I'd be thinking "if this works so well, how come you're still out of shape?". Definitely need to lead by example and/or practice what you preach!
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    sometimes trainers have injuries, say to their wrist, shoulder, or elbow and may not be able to lift like they use too..... it is all on their circumstances... if they are just lazy no way, you may want to gossip with anotehr trainer to find out about that one and why they don't look in shape...
  • mochalovies
    mochalovies Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Just as bad as a dentist with terrible teeth. People should do what they preach...(or advertise) for that matter.

They may have knowledge and experience - but think about it -- when you are dying in the middle of an exercise they will be pushing you hard by saying ** you can do it, keep it moving, dont give up!** or **stop being a cry baby and get up there**

Either way - could you really take them seriously if they are out of shape? I wouldn't...
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would go for an out of shape trainer... if you can't practice what you preach, to me you shouldn't be preaching.

Injuries and illness aside.

To me, half the point of a personal trainer is "if he/she can do it, I can do it!"
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP. It doesn't set a good example.
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    I agree with OP as well.
  • 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Options
    I guess it makes a difference if they had ever been in shape, or at least for most of their time being a trainer.

I read an article about a fitness trainer who purposefully got fat, just to go through the process of losing it, so he could relate to his customers. From what the article said, it was enlightening for him.