Replies

• sullivann
    sullivann Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You can do many exercises to tone up your skin (some of it). :o
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your insurance situation is but a year or so ago I was offered gastric bypass surgery and my insurance was suppose to cover skin removal afterwards. Even though I decided to lose weight myself, I still plan on having it. I have no idea what the deductible is but I know its the fraction of out of pocket tummy tucks. If you have insurance its worth checking to see if they cover it. If you can prove that it has an impact on the way you live your life, they will most likely cover it. Find the right surgeon to back you on this. Look for one that performs gastric bypass and they will point you in the right direction.

If I didn't have that option of surgery I would still lose weight. There are ways to help tighten your skin but it just takes a longer period of time. I mean, do you think every pregnant woman has a tummy tuck? Nah. It bounces back. :) You just got to be patient.

:)
  • ShelleyD81
    ShelleyD81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Yes... I'm losing weight for my health. Looking good is only secondary.

My thoughts exactly!
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I was once told by an eminent cosmetic surgeon that skin only sags whilst it still has fat underneath it. If you can manage to lose or convert all the fat to muscle then in time the skin will regain some shape. It will still wrinkle but not hang..although it does take time. I think I do tend to believe this..because having looked after people who have lost massive amounts of weight quickly to severe illness..never once have those who became very thin been left with masses of exess skin and infact once they started to gain again to a 'healthy weight' looked to have a skin tone normal for their age as if they'd never been overweight. So perhaps we just need to lose that bit more than we think we need to where those 'sags are concerned'.
  • Ticina
    Options
    This has been my biggest issue! It may seem vain but it is a giant concern for me. If I put in all this work and still can not have the body I desire, will it be worth it? But the fact of the matter is, if I do my part, the universe will take care of the rest. I will have the body I earn, and I will earn the body I desire. There is always a way. So for my part, I keep hydrated and do dry brushing in the morning. I moisturize and exfoliate everyday and check out Caudalie. They have some AMAZING products. Good luck to you all!!!
  • HouseHoldSix
    Options
    YEP. I would. Don't care what I look like naked.
  • vox23
    vox23 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think this is only a concern if you lose too much too fast. I have lost a significant amount of weight over nearly the last two years and have no saggy floppy skin on my body at all. I hope people don't use this as an excuse not to lose weight, because I used to think the same thing and used it as a reason.
  • ann945n
    ann945n Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I would, health is just too important!! Who knows someday you may be able to get the extra skin surgically removed, maybe not, but you will still be living a healthier life! Id rather have years added then years taken away
  • jpamplin28
    jpamplin28 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yes I would. I am considering a tummy tuck next year and am not fully on board with it though because while I can afford to get it done it is an major surgery and I am not sure I want to take the risks involved. You can't abuse your body through obesity and expect it to be perfect when you finally lose the weight. And even if I do decided to do the tummy tuck I will still have excess skin on my thighs and upper arms. Since the scars on those areas would be visible I decided not even consider surgery to fix the skin there.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I seem to be with the majority...I would (AM!) doing it too. I actually lost 100 pounds with gastric bypass 8 years ago and promptly gained half of that back. Now I am 1/4 of the way to my goal doing it the right way and fixing my whole life.

I asked my doctor at the last appointment if there is anything I can do to help my skin go back...he said no, I was too heavy for too long (15 years). I work out to feel better and be stronger, and I am losing the weight to be healthy...wearing a bikini is just out forever. Oh well! I would rather carry around a deflated water balloon than a full one...no matter what it looks like under my shirt. :)
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    Yes. I wear shapewear :) I would rather be smaller with loose skin then be fat with tight skin
  • soniaa777
    soniaa777 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    some saggy skin is better than all that fat and healthier. id rather be a melted candle
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!