As I work out, I've started playing with my.....

Options
124»

Replies

• Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    OH WOW! That's awesome!!!! This workout was definitely beneficial to me. I was sweating like no other and had a great burn! Calve, thighs and glutes were on FIRE! I don't agree with it being the "wrong" way to workout... just different in how others may approach it. Working out can be fun and I have found out how I can make it fun! Glad you do it to! Did you still get a burn? See many results?

My legs can get pretty tired after walking at an incline for awhile It's a great way to burn extra calories and avoid all the negative health consequences of sitting down on a couch while playing video games. However, I would still recomend doing other types of exercise as well. Most people benefit from varying their workouts, and by adding in some high intensity intervals.

I do circuit training, as well. This is definitely not my only source of exercise. : )
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    **NB to those people who are saying that gaming while working out is "Working against a lifestyle change"--in what book is it written that you ABSOLUTLEY CANNOT PLAY VIDEO GAMES in order to be healthy?! Just like food, your pasttimes and activities should be included under the concept of "everything in moderation". Video games and TV watching get a bad rap because they're associated with laziness and obesity, but there is nothing intrinsic about those forms of entertainment that is going to lead you straight to obesity. I notice people never blame books or knitting for the North American obseity epidemic, but those are two activities that require just as much sitting on your a** and just as little physical activity as gaming does.

As a gamer, I feel the need to warn you that THERE IS SOMETHING INTRINSIC about gaming that leads directly to obesity. Playing intense computer games tricks your brain into thinking that your body is stressed, causing the release of stress hormones like cortisol (this has been proven and documented in peer reviewed journals). This makes you both hungrier AND lazier. Ouch!

Likewise, TV also leads directly to obesity b/c every other commercial flashes pictures of pizza, French fries, burgers, ice cream, etc. in your face. If you have a dvr and fast forward it's probably just as bad b/c now you're getting subliminal messages.

Now don't get me wrong, I love computer games. And they have been shown to do positive things for your brain! But they are a factor in some people's weight gain (especially world of warcraft).
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    did you ever see the South Park episode where they were playing WoW? Oh man... lmfao!

I love that episode! It's so funny b/c it's kind of true.
  • Tiana405
    Options
    **NB to those people who are saying that gaming while working out is "Working against a lifestyle change"--in what book is it written that you ABSOLUTLEY CANNOT PLAY VIDEO GAMES in order to be healthy?! Just like food, your pasttimes and activities should be included under the concept of "everything in moderation". Video games and TV watching get a bad rap because they're associated with laziness and obesity, but there is nothing intrinsic about those forms of entertainment that is going to lead you straight to obesity. I notice people never blame books or knitting for the North American obseity epidemic, but those are two activities that require just as much sitting on your a** and just as little physical activity as gaming does.

As a gamer, I feel the need to warn you that THERE IS SOMETHING INTRINSIC about gaming that leads directly to obesity. Playing intense computer games tricks your brain into thinking that your body is stressed, causing the release of stress hormones like cortisol (this has been proven and documented in peer reviewed journals). This makes you both hungrier AND lazier. Ouch!

Likewise, TV also leads directly to obesity b/c every other commercial flashes pictures of pizza, French fries, burgers, ice cream, etc. in your face. If you have a dvr and fast forward it's probably just as bad b/c now you're getting subliminal messages.

Now don't get me wrong, I love computer games. And they have been shown to do positive things for your brain! But they are a factor in some people's weight gain (especially world of warcraft).

unless you play lego games. b/c really... what the heck is stressful about THAT?! you're a lego. hahahahaha!
  • ultimategar
    ultimategar Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    you're doing it wrong...
    Agreed, all the sweat you should be pumping out will ruin your controller.
    If you're going at an easy enough pace to be able to concentrate on a computer game, perhaps you might consider going for walk?
  • liveinthemix
    liveinthemix Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    you're doing it wrong...
    If you're going at an easy enough pace to be able to concentrate on a computer game, perhaps you might consider going for walk?

Really? so burning 1000 extra calories in an hour just isn't enough if I can do it while gaming??
  • tseecka
    tseecka Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Yes, but the GAME doesn't make you obese--your reaction to the stress does. I agree that people need to be aware of the possible downfall so that they know to counteract it, but the act of sitting down to play a game is not going to make you gain ten pounds. Having a bowl of baby carrots or a couple sticks of gum at hand can easily and healthily counteract that stress response. Same thing to laziness--if it really affects you THAT badly, get your workout done before you play (or during) so that you don't sabotage yourself. Chances are, you're going to be sitting around during that time anyways, whether it's reading a book, talking on the phone, knitting, watching TV... Get your exercise in first, then don't worry about it.

As for TV, again, it's all about choices. There are subliminal messages EVERYWHERE. Advertising is EVERYWHERE. The choice to sit down and watch a television show is NOT going to make you "fat". Watching a television show, getting a craving for McDonald's from a commercial, and then making the decision to go out and BUY that hamburger or go up to the kitchen and grab something out of the fridge--that is what will lead to obesity. Either ignore the cravings, use a craving buster (a glass of water, a stick of gum or a couple of almonds always works for me), or eat something healthy. It comes down to your choices; it's not the television's fault.

And as Tiana said, as well--not all video games are stressful (just like not all games are violent...). In fact, most of them aren't--people play games to relax more often than not. Just because stressful video games result in cortisol release does not mean they all do!
  • tseecka
    tseecka Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    you're doing it wrong...

Really? so burning 1000 extra calories in an hour just isn't enough if I can do it while gaming??

Amen, my friend. :D

Also, not sure about you guys, but when I'm running or doing cardio I tend not to excrete sweat through my hands anywhere near as much as I do during my circuit training.

And in terms of concentration level--I tend to play games that DON'T require a huge level of concentration (that is, action based RPGs, anything where I have to enter a lot of commands or worry about aiming). My go-to games are side scrollers and real-time strategy, like Final Fantasy Tactics, because they don't require a lot of active concentration. Side scrollers are simple directional based with usually one or two "Twitchy" buttons; games like Tactics are more or less menu based games.

In fact, I'd present the argument that if I can play Tactics on my PSP whlie running on a treadmill at the same MPH as I would be WITHOUT the games, I'm actually reaping more benefit than those who run at the same pace with "super intense attitude OMG" because I'm utilizing areas of my brain for strategy, planning, and logic that a person who is simply concentrating on keeping their feet hitting the pavement isn't. :P
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options

I hardly doubt anyone can burn a 1000 extra cal an hour while playing, but then again I could be wrong. I personnaly have a hard time concentrating on something else when I burn 600/hour, let alone almost double the intensity :p
  • liveinthemix
    liveinthemix Posts: 360 Member
    Options

I hardly doubt anyone can burn a 1000 extra cal an hour while playing, but then again I could be wrong. I personnaly have a hard time concentrating on something else when I burn 600/hour, let alone almost double the intensity :p

What I mean is if I'm on the elliptical for 30 mins and hop off, and I'm at 500 cals.. how is that more beneficial than me on the elliptical while playing a game for an hour, and I burn 1000..

I understand that if you cannot concentrate on something else while exercising, that's one thing, but our (the Gamercisers) point is that, what if we can..?? What if when we play games, we find it easier to stay on a machine for a longer period of time, and burn more calories? How are we doing it 'wrong' if we burn twice the calories? If we keep our target heart rate up for 50% more time than if we exercise w/out the game?
  • Elarissa
    Elarissa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I personally think that that is an awesome idea. I really want a treadmill so I can jog while I watch tv/play games. I would still do my gym time as well.. but it would be nice to get an additional work out at home at time I would just be sitting on my butt anyways.
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options

What I mean is if I'm on the elliptical for 30 mins and hop off, and I'm at 500 cals.. how is that more beneficial than me on the elliptical while playing a game for an hour, and I burn 1000..

I understand that if you cannot concentrate on something else while exercising, that's one thing, but our (the Gamercisers) point is that, what if we can..?? What if when we play games, we find it easier to stay on a machine for a longer period of time, and burn more calories? How are we doing it 'wrong' if we burn twice the calories? If we keep our target heart rate up for 50% more time than if we exercise w/out the game?

Dont get me wrong, I'd love to do so!
    I was just commenting the high calories burn, 1k cal per hour is just gigantic, that's what I was pointing out.
    But definitely, if you can burn twice as long just by playing, by all means please do, just make sure not to hurtn yourself falling on a treadmill, I cracked one of my toes a couple months ago, and that's quite painful!
  • Tiana405
    Options
    I love everyone's debates on this subject... WHEN IT IS POSITIVE, even if the comments don't agree with what I'm doing. I appreciate the TACT that is now being displayed from both ends of the spectrum instead of.. "you're doing it wrong." lmfao! I'm gonna continue to gamercize and I hope other people who have a hard time with doing cardio for longer periods of time will find it helpful as I do! Went 40 minutes today gamercizing and that was after doing 30 day shred! I told myself I HAD to do that video before gamercizing. I'll be sure to let everyone know what I've accomplished in 30 days!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    *looks around for a family member using an elliptical as a coat hanger*

I'm fairly sure at least one of them has workout equipment they never use. Problem is, with New Year's coming up, it might get dusted off, then returned to its natural state a few days later. Maybe I'll wait until February to ask!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    you're doing it wrong...

I get what you're saying because the one time in my life I was in really good shape (after about a year of working out), I couldn't do anything else during my workouts. If I wanted more results, I had to totally focus on the exercise. So to me that makes a lot of sense, for a certain segment of this population.

However, now I am really out of shape, and any exercise at all is better than none. I expect and hope that by this time next year I won't be able to get away with working out while doing something else, but right now, it isn't an issue. I can only push myself so hard anyway, unless I really want to end up in the hospital!
  • SweetestHoney
    SweetestHoney Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    cool idea
  • Tiana405
    Options
    *looks around for a family member using an elliptical as a coat hanger*

I'm fairly sure at least one of them has workout equipment they never use. Problem is, with New Year's coming up, it might get dusted off, then returned to its natural state a few days later. Maybe I'll wait until February to ask!

ahhahahahahaha! love this post! :drinker: