Soda addiction

Options

Replies

• Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Okay...I've known for a loooong time. (Sigh) I have to wean myself off of Pepsi. There...I said it! (As she researches options).
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 2-3 20 oz. Diet Mountain Dews per day. Then I got a UTI that spread to my kidneys, which got so bad I was in the beginning stages of kidney failure. My doctor told me that my kidneys were no longer able to process all the junk that's in soda- for me giving up soda was a no-brainer. The first week or so was hell- not gonna lie there- but now I can't even take a sip of the stuff without it tasting foreign and nasty.
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    i was the exact same way with pepsi i'd been drinking it since i was a toddler then i switched to diet coke then i decided i should give up caffine now i drink diet twist up (like diet 7-up)....so its not even the caffine that i loved (which i had horrible with drawl headaches for a week) but i love drinking soda in general so not that bad since its diet caffine free now i guess lol
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Try to switch to diet sodas :)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Does Coke contain enough acid to damage your stomach?
    Well, not really. While Coke does contain citric acid, phosphoric acid, and carbonic acid, the concentrations are very small. And while the acid is corrosive, the acid concentration in Coke is lower than that of orange juice or lemonade and the pH of that whole mess is actually much higher than that of your stomach acid (pH 1-2.0) ( We measured Coke from the fridge at the lab to be about 3.0 ) which means your stomach will just dissolve the weaker acids. Acid reflux is an entirely different phenomena. Oh, and you can use regular carbonated water to do all the cool coke cleaning tricks without leaving any of the sticky residue.

This, exactly. Why are people SO hard on coke/diet coke? Do they enjoy recycling totally unfounded rumours just to try to scare people who aren't prepared to do their own research?
  • cutezombiedoll
    Options
    Instead of buying coke, try buying a high quality soda as a special treat. Some areas have local sodas that are really good, if hard to find.
  • autoshootafk
    Options
    My personal trainer said "If you MUST have a soda (regular Coke), then the best time to have it is immediately after your workout, when your body needs sugar, and will use it, not store it." Just wanted to share that with you, make sure you cut it out at all other times of the day though. :)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    You guys really don't miss the sodas? What do you do when you go out to eat? I thought for sure I would always miss it and crave it.

went cold turkey when I found out I had diabetes in Dec. 2009. haven't had any since. you can lose weight still just cut back. moderation. as for when I go out, which is 2-3x a month. milkshakes, beer, tea, water, lots of things. I don't miss the soda at all.
  • manvsfood
    manvsfood Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Probably; but you really should consider drinking less or none at all. I was in the same boat as you. I was addicted to Diet Coke -- I probably drank 3 or 4 cans/bottles a day. I gave it up cold turkey in March and haven't had any pop since. On the RARE occasion, I will drink a Sprite but that might happen once every couple months. Believe me, YOU CAN DO IT! :bigsmile:

I agree.. I use to drink soda everyday, one day... I just decided to STOP. Haven't had a soda in three months, doing fine and haven't even had a craving for it.
  • manvsfood
    manvsfood Posts: 175 Member
    Options
  • aims78
    aims78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    BEST THING TO DO IS TO NOT DRINK SODA PERIOD.. TRY TO WHEEN YOURSELF OFF OF IT.. GIVE YOURSELF A DEADLINE.. IF YOU CONTINUE TO DRINK POP YOU WILL NOT LOSE THE WEIGHT THE WAY YOU SHOULD...DIET POP ISN'T GOOD FOR YOU EITHER..

I WAS THE SAME WAY I WAS ADDICTED TO POP TOO, ESPECIALLY MOUNTAIN DEW AND COKE.. AND I HAVE NOW BEEN OFF OF ALL POP FOR OVER A MONTH NOW AND I DON'T MISS IT.. I DRINK A LOT OF WATER IN IT'S PLACE.. I ALSO DRINK LOW SUGAR JUICES, GATARADE ETC.. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
  • LeBlackstone
    Options
    BEST THING TO DO IS TO NOT DRINK SODA PERIOD.. TRY TO WHEEN YOURSELF OFF OF IT.. GIVE YOURSELF A DEADLINE.. IF YOU CONTINUE TO DRINK POP YOU WILL NOT LOSE THE WEIGHT THE WAY YOU SHOULD...DIET POP ISN'T GOOD FOR YOU EITHER..

I WAS THE SAME WAY I WAS ADDICTED TO POP TOO, ESPECIALLY MOUNTAIN DEW AND COKE.. AND I HAVE NOW BEEN OFF OF ALL POP FOR OVER A MONTH NOW AND I DON'T MISS IT.. I DRINK A LOT OF WATER IN IT'S PLACE.. I ALSO DRINK LOW SUGAR JUICES, GATARADE ETC.. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

Yelling

Incorrect.

Illiterate.

Yep, not gonna listen to this one.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I cut back to 1 coke a day and I managed to lose 10+ lbs
  • JULIUSKITTY
    JULIUSKITTY Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Honestly I was severly addicted worse case I know.. if you want to cut it out I can help... but trust me I know the reasons and challenges with this. I started first! with drinking less I was drinking 6! a day... It took me a year! to complete my goal I have bee completly soda free for over a month now!! it can be done! I have zero cravings now and love it! if your interested message me.
  • aims78
    aims78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't miss soda at all... I don't crave it or need it... :)
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I was a total Diet Mountain Dew addict. I never drank much regular soda growing up. If I wanted soda, my parents would only allow me to drink diet ones. In college I honestly didn't drink that much diet drinks, I would carry water with me to classes and keep my dorm or kitchen packed with water or my Brita water pitcher. If I just had to have a kick of flavor, I would get the Crystal Light packs and use those. Then kind of slowly start drinking plain water.

When I graduated college and started working, I felt like I needed caffiene a lot more to stay awake during long days. I started drinking nothing but Diet Dew. I drank more than my own dad. Now that I am trying to get healthier, I have cut back. I will have like maybe 24 oz. total in a day of diet soda. The rest is water. I actually crave water now.

If you cut out regular drinks, you will lose quite a bit of weight. Even cutting out diet soda helps you cut weight back. I used to get really bad headaches all the time. So many, that my boyfriend told me he was getting used to me getting them and that he realized that that meant we couldn't make a lot of plans. I was supposed to go see a neurologist. But now that I am drinking more water, and a lot less soda, changing my diet some and exercising, my headaches aren't as frequent, and when I get one, it's not nearly as bad as they use to be. So there are so many benefits to trying to let go of soda. :smile: Good luck!
  • petes58
    petes58 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Does Coke contain enough acid to damage your stomach?
    Well, not really. While Coke does contain citric acid, phosphoric acid, and carbonic acid, the concentrations are very small. And while the acid is corrosive, the acid concentration in Coke is lower than that of orange juice or lemonade and the pH of that whole mess is actually much higher than that of your stomach acid (pH 1-2.0) ( We measured Coke from the fridge at the lab to be about 3.0 ) which means your stomach will just dissolve the weaker acids. Acid reflux is an entirely different phenomena. Oh, and you can use regular carbonated water to do all the cool coke cleaning tricks without leaving any of the sticky residue.

Amen.
    The potency of the stomach's own hydrochloric acid is over 1000 times greater than soda or food that you can consume. There's a greater risk to the bones from the carbonation. Also there's a risk from artificial sweeteners for developing metabolic syndrome (pre-diabetes and diabetes), obesity, heart disease and stroke (check out the Framingham study for more on this).
  • AmandaR321
    AmandaR321 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have the same addiction to diet coke. It's BAD!!! What I do it make sure to drink 64oz of water before I touch Diet Coke, and then I have one can caffeine
    free (just switched to this), and then 64oz of water. Once I've hit my gallon of water, I have more Diet Coke if I want it. I usually don't.
  • bhall33
    bhall33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    From personal experience its not the taste that has you drinking them its the caffeine. Between Coke and Redbull I was drinking way to much a day and blame it for most of my weight gain. I ended up just switching to caffeine pills and slowly weened myself off of them.
  • Mzladynaturale
    Mzladynaturale Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i have the same issue, i still drink soda maybe once or twice a week, wat is working with me, i replaced it for rasberry ice tea, i know its still sugar but less sugar now!, good luck