As of today I am a non-smoker

Options
KatWood
KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
I just need to announce that I have decided to quit smoking. I need to say it out loud so I will feel accountable to someone and follow through.

It seems ridiculous to have changed every other aspect of my unhealthy lifestyle except for this one. So, I've decided enough is enough. It will be hard (since me hubby smokes) but I am determined. Besides the usual motivators we are looking at buying a new home. I don't want it to be a smokers house and we will need the money we spend on cigarettes to help cover the extra cost of the mortagage and to buy things for the house.

I think the most difficult part of this will be that at least for a while I will have to completely give up drinking too. For me the 2 things go hand in hand. There is nothing I love more than a glass of red wine and a smoke after a long day at work. I don't plan to give up wine forever, but I think at least intially the association between the two is too strong and so no more wine for me :noway:

Thanks for listening.:happy:

Replies

• KatWood
    Options
    I just need to announce that I have decided to quit smoking. I need to say it out loud so I will feel accountable to someone and follow through.

It seems ridiculous to have changed every other aspect of my unhealthy lifestyle except for this one. So, I've decided enough is enough. It will be hard (since me hubby smokes) but I am determined. Besides the usual motivators we are looking at buying a new home. I don't want it to be a smokers house and we will need the money we spend on cigarettes to help cover the extra cost of the mortagage and to buy things for the house.

I think the most difficult part of this will be that at least for a while I will have to completely give up drinking too. For me the 2 things go hand in hand. There is nothing I love more than a glass of red wine and a smoke after a long day at work. I don't plan to give up wine forever, but I think at least intially the association between the two is too strong and so no more wine for me :noway:

Thanks for listening.:happy:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    YAY KAT!!!!
    You can do this!!!!
  • melbug25
    melbug25 Posts: 50
    Options
    Hey!! Congrats to you!!! :drinker: I quit smoking 11 days ago! It really seems alot longer though. I am taking Chantix and wow, it has seriously worked amazingly!! I don't think about it EVER! If you ever need any kind of advice or support, just let me know!!!

YAY for NON SMOKERS!!:glasses:
  • eshwok45
    eshwok45 Posts: 21
    Options
    Congrats! :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    Been quit for 8 years, so if I can do it you can too. Hopefully, the feel better feeling will keep you motivatied to stay quit forever. That's what kept me going. I still crave every now and then, but my health is alway more important and on my mind!!!!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    May 1st will be 3 yrs for me, and trust that it is worth all your efforts and then some!! Congratulations for making that decision !!
  • Juicey1401
    Juicey1401 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS :happy:

May 16th will be 4 yrs 4 me. If I can do anything to help please do not hesitate to let me know.

Have a wonderful Day!!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    To quote Trainspotting...
    "There are last shots, and there are Last Shots."

Make sure yours is the latter. You can do it. Its a struggle, I'm there now, but you can keep going. Its as easy as saying no. After the three day hump its easy!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    congrats to you

probably one of the best moves you will ever make

you are smart to cut the booze during this transisition.....a few drinks...the safeguards of sobriety are weakened and BAM....give me a smoke Joe.....

get a big bottle of listerine....the regular kind not the mint....

you are gonna get a craving.....gargle some listerine....a clean mouth wants to stay clean

when the craving comes it will only last a few minutes unless you fret with it in your head

dont consider quitting as depriving yourself....correctly consider it as rewarding yourself

take deep breaths often

you can do it
    you just have to do it
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Yay! Good for you!!!

I've quit smoking for about 2 months now. I did it cold turkey....got sick for a couple of days and couldn't smoke so I just never picked it up again.

My husband still smokes too, but it helps a lot that he has to smoke outside. We have small children so no smoking is allowed in my house. I've found that it helps a lot when I don't have to see him smoke.

Good luck to you!! That's a great decision!
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    You can do it! This past monday(4/20/09) was 4 years ago that I quit!:smile: Just resist the urg and it does pass. As long as you have a good mind set you can do it!! Yeah for you!:bigsmile:
  • Adriane007
    Options
    CONGRATS!:drinker: I quit smoking 104 days ago by using Chantix for a month and have never looked back. It was a breeze because you don't get those-'I need a cigarette now before I kill someone' kind of feelings.

I missed drinking and smoking too but the benefits of breathing fresh air, new sense of smell, and a serious feeling of well-being when you breath DEEP are so worth it! not to mention the yrs. your adding back to your life and your skin will love you again-less wrinkles whoo hoo!

My dad smoked for yrs and the one thing he told me after he quit was that, especially in those drinking moments the urge for a cig never goes away. But guess what? in knowing that the urge is coming, I prepared for those moments better.

Take deep breaths, and get some things to candies to suck on-or sugar-free gum. I would ask you hubby to not smoke around you if possible-I had such a hard time the first month if someone smoked in front on me-now after 3 months-it doesn't even faze me. Good luck and if you need any help-let me know.
  • melli244
    melli244 Posts: 63
    Options
    Congrats!!!! I know its a hard thing to do im also struggling with quitting.
  • KatWood
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement and advice. I will definietly look into Chantix and other stop smoking aids. I know when my parents quit they took some sort of a pill. I'll have to do some more research.

I quit once before for 8 months and I do remember how great I felt ... I know.. I know ... why then did I start again, right? I hope the three day hump thing is true. This is a pretty stressful time right now, we are looking at buying a house and need to quickly finish renovations on our condo so we can list it. So this weekend will be tough, but I am determined to do this. I am entered into a half marathon for October and I know I need to quit smoking so I have a chance of completing the race.

I like the idea of the listerine. Not only will I not want to dirty my mouth and breath but also I don't like menthols and so smoking when I have a minty clean mouth won't be appealing to me.

Any other advice to deal with the cravings and stay on track? What has worked for you?

I haven't told my husband yet. I know he will be supportive. I hope he decides to join me but I feel like he has to make that choice on his own.

Thanks again and feel free to check up on my every once in a while to make sure I keep my word:wink:
  • KatWood
    Options

Why not the mint?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Why not the mint?

you want the real strong stuff
    mint tricks the body with a sugar sensation
    sugar can create a craving for nicotine
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for me, even though I quit smoking, drinking doesn't seem to trigger that urge in me. Course, after 3 stiff shots, I'm pretty much a gonner anyhow in other terms.
  • KatWood
    Options
    I didn't know that.
    Thanks for the tip Dave!
  • KatWood
    Options
    Unfortunately for me, even though I quit smoking, drinking doesn't seem to trigger that urge in me. Course, after 3 stiff shots, I'm pretty much a gonner anyhow in other terms.

I started out just as a social smoker, you know smoking when I was out at the bar with friends, etc. Now that association is really strong with me. I don't smoke during the day at work at all, but as soon as I get home all I want to do is pour a glass of wine, watch tv and have a smoke.

How did you quit?
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Hey, that is absolutely wonderful. Stick with it!