Mac vs. PC?

Options
I've been a PC since my family got our first Dell about 10 years ago. I currently have a Dell laptop (Inspiron 1525) that I've loved to bits for a little over three years, but it simply isn't what it used to be. I tried reformatting the hard drive this summer to try to clean it up a bit, and it helped but definitely didn't make any major strides towards restoring its youth. As such, I've begun thinking about my next laptop.

I know my ex would probably kill me if he knew I was thinking about getting a mac (he was a programming nerd and loved customizing my PC when I left him alone with it), but I've been seriously thinking about a macbook for a couple of months now. I'm not a code monkey or anything, so I never really got into the customization that most PC advocates rave about...

I've used Windows 7 and liked it, though my laptop now has Vista (which I've never had issues with), but I absolutely hated Windows Live Movie Maker (which came with Windows 7). I like to make little vlogs for my siblings when I'm away from home, and the loss of storyboard view when making videos made life ridiculous. And I've heard wonderful things about iMovie...

Anyways, I'll stop rambling. I know that, to an extent, it comes down to preference, but if anyone has some solid advice I'd love to hear it!!

Replies

• MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Mac people always strike me as being elitest jerks. Stick with the PC.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You'll pay more for less and have to learn a new OS. That said, Apple makes some damn fine computers. HAve you tried them out?
  • klewis81
    klewis81 Posts: 122
    Options
    I switched to a macbook about three years back and I love it. My Dell was just too slow, bulky, and cumbersome. iMovie is easy to use. I teach high school and we are a apple campus and we have the kids use iMovie all the time and they learn it really quickly.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Mac
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    You can run Mac's OS on a PC and you can run Windows on a Mac...

Macs are highly overpriced.

I will also qualify that I have been an IT professional for well over 15 years.
  • CandiceS86
    CandiceS86 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a Macbook PRO. I've always had a PC and in the beginning it was hard to get used to all the new things but now I totally LOVE it! I used my old laptop the other day (a Sony Vaio) and it felt totally retarded now when I'm used to Mac.

So for me, I will never buy a PC again!
  • NA_Willie
    NA_Willie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    If you are doing hardcore, professional video or sound editing or are a pretentious douche, get a Mac.

If you are a regular person, get a PC.
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    PC, I keep it simple
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    PC owners always strike me as bitter and jelly. Go Mac Pro.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    PC, I didn't read the original thing, just had to type my answer, NOW, I'll go read :)
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    Options
    PC owners always strike me as bitter and jelly. Go Mac Pro.
    Ahahaha! That was funny.

I used to not have a prefrence until I used the iMovie feature on my Mac. It's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, no viruses or pop ups.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    not fond of dells. my mom has had a ton. i'm pc. its a feel thing, dont like the mac feel. but to each their own. and i wouldn't turn down any pc honestly if it was free. a good owner/user can make any pc work well.
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm a PC person. Partly because I don't buy into the sexiness of an Apple computer. But mainly because I'm cheap. I only use my computer for simple personal things, so I don't need to spend thousands on that. I'll take my 350$ PC laptop that does exactly what I need it too!
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Mac's are for people who don't like flexibility with their systems....

Okay the whole MAC Vs PC thing kicked in when Windows Vista was in force & yes that OS was far worse then Mac's OSX meaning it was a no brainer for most people, this opinion is still being carried with little evidence to back it up and it's just people have been in a way brainwashed into thinking Mac > Windows no matter what the software.

But the difference between Mac's and PC's now are very minimal ever since Windows 7 surfaced and from using both an iMac for 3 years and a laptop with windows 7 for 2 years I can tell you that I much prefer my Laptop and if you wan't to know why... well it's quite simple.... YOU GET MORE FOR YOUR MONEY WHEN YOU DON'T BUY A MAC!

Seriously Mac's are always compared to laptops and PCs but most of these comparisons are bias because almost everyone that does this only has experience with cheap laptops and desktops found in the discount section of PC World or in schools or work. Of course a £300 machine wont operate as well as a £1,000 one. But I can almost guarantee that no matter what manufacture you buy a windows based machine from if it's the same price at mac it'll out perform it in almost every conceivable way... it just won't look as good. Pretty sure any £1,000 laptop will have better sound, better graphics, faster memory, faster hardrive, better security features, cooler and more efficient processors, more flexibility, more add on's, more functions & more FREE software available to it then a mac + they're cheaper to repair & they're easier & cheaper to upgrade.

Also the is choice, the is a laptop out there for any amount of strain meaning you can buy one as cheaply or expensive as you wish, you don't get such a luxury with apple... well you sort of do but you still need to spend above the odds.

If you like the look of apple then go for it, it's the safe option and you know they work but do some research and you'll find an equal or even much better computer for a fraction of the cost & a mac beater at the same cost.

Also most 'experts' as in people that really know computers will recommend a laptop over a macbook just because it has more functionality
  • manvsfood
    manvsfood Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Mac people always strike me as being elitest jerks. Stick with the PC.

Couldn't agree more.... :laugh:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Mac.
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I don't think I am an elitest jerk :0) And I have Macs and love them. That would get my vote
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Brb, getting peanut-butter for all this jelly.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Also, no viruses or pop ups.
    If you have a pop up blocker on your browser on a PC, you don't get them either. Viruses? Guess why Macs don't have problems much with that? It's because hackers like to affect a LARGE number of people...not many people use Macs. There is no operating system that is immune to viruses, it's just a matter of someone taking the time to exploit them.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    We just bought a Mac after repeated issues with PCs. Yes, it cost more, but with as much as we were spending on replacement PCs we figured that if the Mac lasts as long as we've heard (we know 2 people who have had their Macs for 7 years or longer with no issues), we'll save money in the long run.

So far I'm loving it for the speed at which I can process my digital photos. Learning the new OS wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, and this is coming from a person who had never so much as touched a Mac before.