Chocolate Chip Cookies - help

bushman124
bushman124 Posts: 85 Member
I need to make a big batch of chocolate chip cookies to send to one of my grandsons serving in the Navy. I usually use the toll house receipe on the bag of chocolate chips and I would like to do so again. I hardly bake cookies from scratch anymore and the last couple of times I did, the cookies came out too cakey. I like the flat chocolate chip cookies. Does anyone have any ideas or hints to help my cookies come out not so cakey. I would like to send some really great tasting cookies to this wonderful young man who is serving our country and can't be home for Christmas. Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks JoAn :smile:

Replies

• stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    My grandma was standing next to me, and according to her "just pat them down with a spoon. The flatter the cookies are, the more thoroughly they'll crisp." I'm sure there are ingredient changes that can be made, too, but that was her two cents.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    I have heard that refrigerating the dough at least 2hrs before rolling out will help to give a chewier, less cakey texture. Will post the recipe link if I can find it! x
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Okay, here we go.

http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2010/04/29/chocolate-chip-nirvana/

^ with this recipe you will hopefully find success :)
  • ssieben
    ssieben Posts: 18 Member
    The best recipe i have ever made was on the back of the Chipits Milk Chocolate chip bag, and they come out flat and soft :)

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients
    •2/3 cup (150ml) melted butter
    •2 cups (500ml) lightly packed brown sugar
    •2 eggs
    •2 tablespoons of hot water
    •2 2/3 cups (650ml) all-purpose (ie plain) flour
    •1 tsp (5ml) baking powder
    •1 tsp (5ml) baking soda (ie bicarb)
    •1/4 tsp (1ml or a 'pinch') salt
    •1 package (270g) Hershey's Chipits milk chocolate chips (can also be done with white/dark/butterscotch chips - whatever you fancy). It does however need to be 'nice' chocolate chips - not cheap nasty ones!
    MethodServes: - Preheat oven to 375F/190C.

Mix together melted butter, brown sugar, eggs and hot water. Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mixture will form into a stiffish dough. Stir in chocolate chips until well distributed throughout the dough.

Try not to eat all of the uncooked dough right now, though do allow yourself a little nibble! Drop from a small spoon onto an ungreased cookie sheet. (I used 4 sheets altogether). The cookies do spread out a bit as they bake so leave room for this.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Don't allow them to brown too much. Eat a few whilst still warm - that's when they're at their best. Package some up to take to your friends and neighbours. Eat a few more. Unwrap the neighbours' packages... they can make their own cookies!!! Store in an airtight tin for as long as you can resist guzzling the lot.
  • bushman124
    bushman124 Posts: 85 Member
    Thanks, the recipe sounds delish and I will try that one. I also think I will flatten the dough a bit as you have to listen to Grandma's advice! Thanks again.
  • I was always told that it is the fat content in cookies that causes them to flatten out. I'd check your cookbook for a recipe with a little higher fat content and up the Toll House Cookie recipe to an equivalent amount. When the cookies go into the oven, the fat heats up and begins to melt, causing the cookies to flatten from their original shape. The higher the fat, the flatter the cookie. Just don't go too far!

12489380.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • meganepreston
    meganepreston Posts: 487 Member
    I make the recipe that's on the Tollhouse chips bag too, but instead of 1 cup of butter I use 1 cup of shortening. They turn out much less cakey and more crispy/crunchy. And delicious! I think this ups the calories though...
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Skinny Low-fat Chocolate Chip Cookies
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 12 • Size: 2 cookies • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 170.7 • Fat: 5.0 g • Protein: 1.4 g • Carb: 34.5 g • Fiber: 1.4 g • Sugar: 25.4 g
    Sodium: 113.1 mg

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 tbsp butter, melted
    1 egg white
    2 tbsp apple sauce
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    1/2 cup all purpose flour
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°. Line two cookie sheets with non-stick silicone baking liners such as Silpats (I highly recommend for best results) or lightly spray cookie sheets with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt and stir to blend. In another bowl, whisk the sugars, butter, egg white, applesauce and vanilla together until light and fluffy.

Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in two additions until the batter is very well blended. If the batter looks more “crumbly” than smooth, add just a drop of water at a time (ONLY if needed) until it smooths out.

Fold in chocolate chips.

Drop by level spoonfuls about 1 inch apart onto baking sheets.

Bake 8 - 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, and let them stand 5 minutes before removing the cookies from the pans to cool on wire racks.

Makes 2 dozen cookies.