Is it safe to eat 1,000 calories a day and no more?

Options

Replies

• jonzo21
    jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    If you want an educated answer talk to a doctor or a licensed nutritionist. Seriously, getting health advice from an Internet forum, not the greatest idea.

I don't think it takes a doctor to know that 1,000 calories is not enough. There are many educated people that use this site. :flowerforyou:

Many people are on calorie restricted diets of less than 1000 a day. There is no shortage of people on here who think they are educated. Very few if any that actually are.
    if you are morbidly obese, you can survive off less than 1000 because you have enough fat to get rid of. The less body fat you have, the more important it is to eat at least 1200 or more depending on your activity level. Otherwise you will lose muscle mass. The majority of information regarding this is all over the internet at trusted websites that know what they are talking about. Yes there are definitely uneducated users on this website, but there are also those of us who do our research and at least know the general information like this. Of course its always best to go to a doctor, but there's nothing wrong with listening to general advice, if that doesn't work, seeking out a doctor.
  • heatzero
    Options
    funny enough the only time i've ever lost weight is by counting calories like that. the problem is that the good food doesn't have calories labels, i.e. home cooking, fancy restuarants... its funner when u eat ANYTHING you wants a long as its under 1000 cal
  • toasterlisa
    toasterlisa Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor, but my doctor, who IS supervising my weight loss, told me only to eat when I was hungry, and if that is less than the 1,230 calories that MFP plans for me, that is fine.

He did suggest that I eat low-calorie, high-volume foods, like big veggie salads (aka a Subway Salad without cheese and a little meat, lowfat/nofat dressing), and if it fills me up, it was ok with him.

But if you are feeling sluggish, unusually tired, or irritable, crank up your calories by another 100-200.

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I don't feel hungry at all, that's why I don't want to eat.

Oh - it's because you started Phentermine yesterday.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/403603-how-long-does-it-take-phentermine-to-work

If you take an stimulant that won't allow you to eat enough calories - then you go in conservation mode causing you to not lose weight - I would say it's not a successful strategy.

Oh. Just read this... If you take speed, yes you'll lose weight but when you go off of it you'll blow up. When I was hooked on amphetamines I weighed 90 lbs. After getting clean, I gained 90 lbs in less than a year. My body was so screwed up. Good luck with the speed.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Your BMR at your current weight, that is Basal Metabolic rate is somewhere between 1500 & 1627 calories per day, give or take, depending on the calculator you use.

That is how much doctors would feed you if you were in a coma, unable to move, and just giving you nutrition to save your life.

Your BMR at your goal weight (I'm assuming 110lbs) is about 1279 calories - again, what you would be fed if you were in a coma and unable to move, just receiving nutrition to save your life.

If you were a healthy 110 lbs you would be able to eat approximately 1500 calories per day to MAINTAIN that weight.

If your goal weight is in the range of 110lbs I would suggest finding an intermediate goal first - if you eat too much below your current BMR your body will not cooperate. You will lose weight in the short term, but much of that weight loss will be muscle mass, and before long will stop losing weight.

And then the weight will eventually come back, because you cannot LIVE at that calorie intake.

You are young - you have time! Take a year or more to take the weight off - make it permanent! Figure out how much you will eat and exercise to MAINTAIN the weight of a healthy you at 110lbs, (abt 1500 calories per day) then START EATING THAT WAY NOW. Eventually you will get there, and you will get there healthy, happy, and without the loss of lean body mass and a trashed metabolism that results from eating a starvation diet.

Check out fat2fitradio.com and give a listen to the philosophy podcast on their main page. It is simple, it makes sense, and it WORKS!

Good luck.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    People who have had weight-loss surgery or who are on a medically-supervised very low calorie diet eat 1000 calories or less and they don't die. But I still don't recommend it, especially not long term. If you're not hungry, you need to re-train your body and mind to have a healthy relationship with food. At 5 feet and 190+ lbs, your metabolism should be pretty high. So 1000 calories/day is HUGE deficit.

I will join the chorus here and suggest 1) you talk to a doctor and/or nutritionist because you're not eating enough to meet all your nutritional needs, and 2) you try to eat more even if you don't want it. I'd focus on healthy calorie dense foods. Almonds and seeds are my personal favorite. You won't be increasing your volume much, but you'll be getting the healthful fats you need, at least.
  • kcwonder
    kcwonder Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you want an educated answer talk to a doctor or a licensed nutritionist. Seriously, getting health advice from an Internet forum, not the greatest idea.

^^^^^^
    I don't think it takes a doctor to know that 1,000 calories is not enough. There are many educated people that use this site. :flowerforyou:

Yeah there are also many not so educated people on this site.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    if you are morbidly obese, you can survive off less than 1000 because you have enough fat to get rid of. The less body fat you have, the more important it is to eat at least 1200 or more depending on your activity level. Otherwise you will lose muscle mass. The majority of information regarding this is all over the internet at trusted websites that know what they are talking about. Yes there are definitely uneducated users on this website, but there are also those of us who do our research and at least know the general information like this. Of course its always best to go to a doctor, but there's nothing wrong with listening to general advice, if that doesn't work, seeking out a doctor.

Very sensible answer.

Medically supervised VLCDs are nutritionally complete at around 800 calories and are suitable for morbidly obese who need to shift weight quickly for various justifiable health reasons eg danger of organ failure due to stress on the body caused by excess weight. It is important to note that obese people can handle steep deficits much better and tend to lose a greater percentage of fat than muscle in this scenario whereas the situation would be reversed for leaner folks.

Could an ordinary person structure a diet by themselves at such a low calorie level which was similarly nutritionally complete though? Doubtful but it can be done. Is it necessary to eat so little? Absolutely not. The OP would easily double her calorie intake and still weight effectively and easily. Why make things harder for yourself than they need to be?
  • MummaAimz
    MummaAimz Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You are tarnishing your own weight loss before you've even given your body a chance to change for you!
    I am also 5 feet tall, I was 217 pounds 2 and a half months ago...I eat 1200 calories a day when I don't exercise....more then that when I do exercise because I eat 95% of my calories back that I burnt off. My BMR is 1592...so I am already eating less then my body needs to keep me breathing sitting like a lump on a couch. I know what you are feeling right now, like you just can't do it, like you should just starve yourself and then magically you will be skinny. It's not going to happen that way. You are just going to become like a ravaged half starved dog when you do eat and then magically be 10 pounds heavier!
    DO WHAT MFP TELLS YOU! Stop lying to the computer to get these wacky numbers like 1000 calories a day. You are harming noone but yourself! Healthy weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. The finish line is far away but it is SO MUCH BETTER when you do get there! You have to change the way your body functions, what it craves, and what you eat in order to do this properly! It doesn't happen overnight.
    Stop being so hard on yourself and on your body. If you do it properly, you will soon start to see results. And the best results don't come from that stupid little number blinking at you between your feet. The best ones are all of the amazing NSV's everyone posts on this site! Like the one I read about the girl whos coworker told her her t-shirt was too big and should be for sleeping. Or the girl who got to wear knee high boots for the first time! THAT is where your confidence will blossom.
    I've given myself an entire year to loose the weight I want gone for good. I suggest you give yourself the same, it takes the pressure off, it makes it FUN! I never in my life thought I would look forward to getting on a treadmill but I crave it now. It just takes time.
    You should think about talking to a doctor or a nutrionist. Everyone on here is super helpful and I have gotten GREAT advice from a lot of wonderful people, but when it comes to things that may effect your health in a bad way, I would get in touch with a professional.
    Good luck, slow down, and you will get where you need to be before you realize you did it.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I must say that your posts kinda concern me. You seem to have a deep rooted issue with weight and food and honestly may really benefit from finding a professional in your area to go talk to. 1000 calories a day doesn't give your body enough fuel to live on and it just simply isn't healthy.

Agreed. This young lady has made several posts lately which indicate an unhealthy relationship with food and her own body image. As for this VLCD, she is neither morbidly obese (although SHE thinks she is) nor under a doctor's supervision.

So , NO, this would not be a healthy approach. But she'll do it anyway.
  • Lizchan
    Lizchan Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I must say that your posts kinda concern me. You seem to have a deep rooted issue with weight and food and honestly may really benefit from finding a professional in your area to go talk to. 1000 calories a day doesn't give your body enough fuel to live on and it just simply isn't healthy.

No... seriously, for a few days, I have been doing all that I can to eat because I am just not hungry.
    Most of my life, I have been this way. Depo Provera made my body grow so huge.
    Please people, read that I really have been trying to eat more!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a huge breakfast before you take the phentermine?
  • Lizchan
    Options
    If you're really not hungry and it isn't because you're taking diet pills, I wonder if the blood test to check for metabolism issues would be a good idea? Maybe you're not burning as many calories as you should be?

I have. They can't really find anything wrong. 'cept for one crucial thing. Not enough B12 production to explain my low energy levels. I know my energy took a serious fall over Depo Provera. That lack of energy has caused me to be messed up. Having the pills makes me not worry nearly as much and the depression has nearly completely vanished immediately. That gives me even more reason to believe that everything wrong is to do with the energy levels being horribly low. Not sure how to fix that. I need to go to the follow-up with the endocrinologist.

Do not accuse me of not seeing doctors and trying therapy. I am doing both. I see a few doctors each month about my weight situation. I did not accept diet pills at first. I said no many times because I wanted to lose it on my own, but that didn't happen. At first, they thought maybe my thyroid. But it is normal size and all levels are fine. Please, people, do not accuse me of things when you don't know what I am doing when I am trying as hard as I can to get well.

I don't eat when I am horribly depressed. I have been trying very hard to eat since starting the diet pills because the doctor said to eat 1,200 - 1,500 calories a day. Even before this, I did not feel hungry. So I didn't eat.

What should I do, should I just eat junk food? :( I don't know how to get these calories in. My stomach feels like I am going to pop if I eat a lot.

I *think* it is because I drink A LOT of water. I drink 10+ glasses of water every day. When I drink water, I feel very full. I drink water a lot because it helps me feel better.

With this being said, what do I do if this is not safe?
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    If you're really not hungry and it isn't because you're taking diet pills, I wonder if the blood test to check for metabolism issues would be a good idea? Maybe you're not burning as many calories as you should be?

I have. They can't really find anything wrong. 'cept for one crucial thing. Not enough B12 production to explain my low energy levels. I know my energy took a serious fall over Depo Provera. That lack of energy has caused me to be messed up. Having the pills makes me not worry nearly as much and the depression has nearly completely vanished immediately. That gives me even more reason to believe that everything wrong is to do with the energy levels being horribly low. Not sure how to fix that. I need to go to the follow-up with the endocrinologist.

Do not accuse me of not seeing doctors and trying therapy. I am doing both. I see a few doctors each month about my weight situation. I did not accept diet pills at first. I said no many times because I wanted to lose it on my own, but that didn't happen. At first, they thought maybe my thyroid. But it is normal size and all levels are fine. Please, people, do not accuse me of things when you don't know what I am doing when I am trying as hard as I can to get well.

I don't eat when I am horribly depressed. I have been trying very hard to eat since starting the diet pills because the doctor said to eat 1,200 - 1,500 calories a day. Even before this, I did not feel hungry. So I didn't eat.

What should I do, should I just eat junk food? :( I don't know how to get these calories in. My stomach feels like I am going to pop if I eat a lot.

I *think* it is because I drink A LOT of water. I drink 10+ glasses of water every day. When I drink water, I feel very full. I drink water a lot because it helps me feel better.

With this being said, what do I do if this is not safe?

I really hope you find the answer you are seeking. If you are eating 1000 a day, I suggest adding some peanut butter here and there. Also, if you eat dairy eat the full version. You can do the same with other items that you may be consuming the lighter version. You can also sprinkle some protein powder on your food. I really hope you get what you need to be healthy and successful.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    You know the answer to this and taking advice from us is not helpful. we are not professionals. you're going to doctor's, ok. but you need to go to a different doctor. if you have no appetite there is something else going on that you need taken care of.

best of luck.
  • Lizchan
    Options
    I am not a doctor, but my doctor, who IS supervising my weight loss, told me only to eat when I was hungry, and if that is less than the 1,230 calories that MFP plans for me, that is fine.

He did suggest that I eat low-calorie, high-volume foods, like big veggie salads (aka a Subway Salad without cheese and a little meat, lowfat/nofat dressing), and if it fills me up, it was ok with him.

But if you are feeling sluggish, unusually tired, or irritable, crank up your calories by another 100-200.

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey!

Thank you. :) My doctor said that it isn't that bad right now because of the simple fact that I am well... very obese. He said he would not have gave me phentermine if I were of a normal weight range or if my BMI were under 30. He put me on the phentermine with intentions of giving me more energy, not to slap my appetite down because well, it hasn't changed my appetite. I ate this way before phentermine, too. Since he gave me phentermine, I have been able to actually get out of bed and do things like working out. I don't stop until my clothes are drenched in sweat now. I work out as much as I can during what allotted time I have to do so! I burned 400ish calories today, I believe. I still have energy to do more, but I don't want to burn too many because of what others here are saying.
  • NeonNikki
    NeonNikki Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't think eating 1000 calories for a few weeks is that bad ad long as you take vitamins and eat extremely nutrient dense foods- but you can't eat that little for ever-maybe go a week eating 1000 and the next 1400-you are short so you don't nerd that much-just make sure you log and measure everything-
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Why not try drinking more calories in the form of protein shakes or smoothies and using hidden calories such as full fat milk and olive oil?

Then you won't "notice" ur consuming more.

If I drink a protein shake that's easily 300 calories extra without eating a whole meal.
  • brimir
    brimir Posts: 72
    Options
    1000 calories a day doesn't give your body enough fuel to live on and it just simply isn't healthy.

Agreed
  • carataylor75
    Options
    I ate under 1000 calories nearly every day and I lost weight gradually, going from a dress size 14 down to a 10, and the only exercise I got was through work (lifting and carrying in a stockroom) and sex. Might not have been the healthiest way to lose weight but it wasn't harmful to me nor did it affect me in any negative way apart from the occasional rumbling tummy. So I wouldn't say eating 1000 calories is drastically bad, just needs to be managed well and it isn't really a diet for long term as then I imagine it could cause problems.