How do you properly warm up?

Options
I've just started out with a fair few years of being mostly inactive (I'm 18 right now).

During the past two weeks, I've managed to work out anywhere from 20 minutes to 45 minutes consistently, but I often fight through pain in my feet and calves. The pain in my fee is most often on the right foot on the outside edge and it migrates toward the arch. Both my calves hurt when I work out as well.

I usually walk on the treadmill ranging from from 2 mph to 3.5 mph. (On a different note, is it normal for the elliptical to cause pain within 30 seconds of starting?) My only 'warm up' of note right now is walking up 12 flights of stairs, followed by walking down 11 flights. (It's a long story as to why I do it like that)

Should I warm up more? Am I properly warmed up? What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• fatty2fit88
    fatty2fit88 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think what u are doing is fine :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You probably need different/new shoes.
  • TrimThinTonedTight
    Options
    You probably need different/new shoes.

They are brand new! :(

I've been through something like 6 different pairs of shoes in 8 months, in the hope that I could find something good. The pain has always been a problem.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of warming up for walking but you can always do some dynamic flexibility.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i personally like dynamic stretching. i'll do my best to explain here, but you might need to google some videos. i do about 40 arm cross over's (basically hugging yourself over and over again, in a big swinging motion stretching out your back and chest), then 40 wind mills (standing straight up, and basically moving your arms as if you were doing the back stroke and then front stroke) in both directions. then 40 hip circles (feet at shoulder width, hands on hips and rotate 20 times clockwise, then counter clockwise), then 40 knee circles (feet together, knees bent, hands on knees, rotate 20 clockwise, then counter clockwise)

if i am running, i will do 50 jumping jacks and then 50 butt kicks before actually running. if i am lifting, i hit the treadmill or rowing maching for 6-10 minutes.

static stretching i believe should be left for the end of your work out, as a cool down, to prevent your muscles from getting tight and constricted.

never skimp on a warm up. you risk a poor work out and injury.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    There is a nifty new machine in a lot of stores provided by Dr. Scholl's. You might check it out and see if you have a serious foot issue. If so I don't recommend their product but it might give you something to talk about with your doctor. I usually don't have that issue until my shoes are worn out but I find that shoes vary enormously, I spend all day pretty much on my feet and sometimes I have bought a brand new pair of shoes and they have killed my feel and calves. Might need to know a bit more about your own feet.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly not a medical professional, but I don't think it's normal to have such extreme pain in your feet, unless you have some specific medical condition? There are a number of conditions that can affect the feet. I would recommend a visit to your doctor and/or a physical therapist. And depending on what they say...as far as shoes, are you getting fitted at a sports or specialty store? Are they performing a gait test (typically done on a treadmill) to determine the best shoe for you (whether it's walking or running)?
  • lisab42
    lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you've tried many many types of shoes and been professionally fitted, like I was, and are still experiencing pain, you may be interested in this thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/296471-any-barefoot-runners-out-there
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Having this much pain, especially at age 18 is not normal.
    Go to the doctor to get checked out, maybe you need to see a physiotherapist or podiatrist.
    If there is a problem, continuing to work out may only make it worse, I wouldn't risk it.
  • TrimThinTonedTight
    Options
    I'm certainly not a medical professional, but I don't think it's normal to have such extreme pain in your feet, unless you have some specific medical condition? There are a number of conditions that can affect the feet. I would recommend a visit to your doctor and/or a physical therapist. And depending on what they say...as far as shoes, are you getting fitted at a sports or specialty store? Are they performing a gait test (typically done on a treadmill) to determine the best shoe for you (whether it's walking or running)?
    Nope, and no medical condition other than being told I have short muscles (this was ten years ago, mind you). I just try different shoes on because there is no way that my family could afford professional inserts. The pain isn't extreme when I run/jog, but it does bother me. The pain stops with 5 minutes of resting, but it starts up again when I try to re-start.

As for the person that suggested the foot mapping thing, I think I will give that a shot. :)
  • TrimThinTonedTight
    Options
    I think this is a normal thing, when I first started working out I had a lot of pain in my feet and calves too when using the treadmill or elliptical. It is mostly alright now, but sometimes it flares up again. For example, I recently started both jogging and doing a yoga class, and sometimes I get what must be tendon pain on the top of my foot. I think it is just the body's way of adjusting to a new activity ;) Listen to your body--if something is causing you real pain and it's persisting, stop!

Keep it up, it will get better!
    Thanks! Most people I've talked to don't have this problem. It's nice to find someone I can relate too
  • 2live4ever79
    Options
    When I first started trying to walk or run on a treadmill I used to have the same issues. I did go get some fitted shoes at a local New Balance store. The new shoes did help some but the pain was still there. But as time went on the pain started going away. I agree with some of the other "replies" on stretching. After I got over my leg pains then I started getting lower back pains when I would try to run. I started researching the internet about different kinds of stretching. Now I'm curious to find out more about the dynamic and static stretching. I hope you find a solution and don't stop.
  • Asher213
    Options
    I usually warm up by doing some stretches and then 5 or 10 mins on the stationary bike.